After my bike fit... {UPDATED FITMENT}

Cycling Major

I would definitely recommend Troisport - they were my first option when I got my fitting done. Marc knows his stuff when it comes to bike fitting and I would say he is the go-to guy for tri fittings. 

Seeing him today, so hopefully tonight's ride would be much better

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the nose of the saddle is pointing downwards you will slide forward and that will put pressure the arms. Raise the nose slightly up.

Remember that you have only started riding in the tri position. It takes a long time to adjust the body to riding like that. Legs, back, arms, neck all have to get used to it.

As the other have said, ride, adjust, ride, adjust, .... until you are comfy

So a bit of an update...

​Just got back from Marc at Troisport...

He nearly fell off his chair when he looked at the bike and asked if the guy has ever ridden a bike...

After the fitment we realised the following:

SO the first fit, my seatpost was using the setback position and the the saddle was as far back as it could go...

Now afterwards we turned around the seatpost and the saddle is basically in the 3/4 forward positions, with MUCH more comfort, no reaching, no hip swivel etc etc...

How the F*@K can someone get it THAT much wrong???

Do I contact the other guy or do I just move along and get comfy on the bike

So a bit of an update...

He nearly fell off his chair when he looked at the bike and asked if the guy has ever ridden a bike...

SO the first fit, my seatpost was using the setback position and the the saddle was as far back as it could go...

Now afterwards we turned around the seatpost and the saddle is basically in the 3/4 forward positions, with MUCH more comfort, no reaching, no hip swivel etc etc...

REFUND

afterwards we turned around the seatpost and the saddle is basically in the 3/4 forward positions

:eek:  wow

so did you pay a real bikefitter the first time or was it just a guy in a white bakkie with "bikefitter" written on the back with a red crayon .....

(your first hint should have been when he said oh just tilt the saddle a bit yourself ...haha)

you couldn't have known but

id go back and ask him WTF and get my money (or you will name and trash him on social media ie on here  lol)

Edited by bikebloke

Sure the frame is the correct size for you? :whistling:

So a bit of an update...

bike fitting is very personal not to mention tricky. what works for one does not work for the other. the set-up you have now will most probably change in the near future. I took my first bike i bought to a highly highly highly recommended professional fitter and was never happy. I took it to some other fitter and the changes made was radical. the months that followed i did some extensive reading on the interweb and started tweaking/adjusting until i got my highest comfy level. that too in the end was radical changes.

I would love to see before and after pics of this....

REFUND

So some additional feedback.

I spoke to the original fitter, and explained the process to him and that somehow something went very very wrong. He very honorable said that he is willing to refund me 500 of the total 1000 that I paid. He was not very happy but I am happy in the way that it was handled (Afterwards off-course LOL)

afterwards we turned around the seatpost and the saddle is basically in the 3/4 forward positions

:eek:  wow

so did you pay a real bikefitter the first time or was it just a guy in a white bakkie with "bikefitter" written on the back with a red crayon .....

(your first hint should have been when he said oh just tilt the saddle a bit yourself ...haha)

you couldn't have known but

id go back and ask him WTF and get my money (or you will name and trash him on social media ie on here  lol)

The weirdest thing is he is very well respected in the area, although not within the fitter circles I have come to notice today

Sure the frame is the correct size for you? :whistling:

LoL, don't worry I made sure of this!!!

I would love to see before and after pics of this....

You right, I should've taken pictures before we adjusted it this morning...

But all in all I am now happy that the bike fit seems good and that the issue could be resolved in a respectable manner and with be at least being compensated a bit for the money spent

Good to hear you sorted.

A 500 rand refund is an admission of sorts, go for the jugular ;)

Bike fits are a bit of a science. The angles of various parts an how they work have been thoroughly researched. While these are for the everyday person they may not be the absolute best for you. Once a bike has been set up any adjustments made would be due to you personally an I would think would be very minor.

Good luck with EL. I hope all settings have been marked, if not do it now.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I did ask him if I could come back and he noted that I should just tilt the saddle upward as that will be fine and that he is fully booked

F$&@ that. If he wants to charge a grand for a bad set up and isn't willing to fix issues then he is a knob. Put his name up here for all to see, so no one else wastes their cash

I did a tri fitting yesterday and this thread got me to thinking of saddle tilt...

After the fitting and a ride on my tri bike here are my thoughts on saddle tilt:

It's a trade off between comfort and "position". If the saddle tip is too far down you're going to be pushing your hips back every now and then because your hips will slide forward ever so slightly on every pedal stroke - like wise with saddle tip too far up - you're going to be pulling your hips  forward all the time. Play a bit until you can pedal comfortably without having to adjust your hips.

This is the rough position.

Now check comfort - do your man/woman bits go numb/get sore? If so adjust the saddle up or down a much smaller amount until you find the optimum between comfort and not having to move your hips around.

Hopefully this is the fine and final position :-)

I did a tri fitting yesterday and this thread got me to thinking of saddle tilt...

After the fitting and a ride on my tri bike here are my thoughts on saddle tilt:

It's a trade off between comfort and "position". If the saddle tip is too far down you're going to be pushing your hips back every now and then because your hips will slide forward ever so slightly on every pedal stroke - like wise with saddle tip too far up - you're going to be pulling your hips  forward all the time. Play a bit until you can pedal comfortably without having to adjust your hips.

This is the rough position.

Now check comfort - do your man/woman bits go numb/get sore? If so adjust the saddle up or down a much smaller amount until you find the optimum between comfort and not having to move your hips around.

Hopefully this is the fine and final position :-)

And that's just the thing.

When I did my fitting yesterday, the oke said that he can see that I am quite new to the tri position and he will set me up that is the best for "now" to get me into it, and then after 3 or 4 weeks, when my back and shoulders have relaxed and gotten use to the position I must come pop in and he will do some adjustments again for me to tailor the fit...

That is truly helping people out and building a relationship. I mean I will much rather now spend my money there as well as I know that not everything is about the cash but also in providing service