Warranty - valid claim or not

mtbDobby

The impact of hitting the cat eye was only enough to cause the wheel to turn while riding which is what nearly threw me off and hence the save I managed from ultimately hitting the tar and ultimately my thigh hitting the frame, the tyre and wheel are all fine, just the top tube cracked.

In any event the views are devided. I am trying for a warranty if that does not work then I will lodge an insurance claim.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of ironic, there is a bunch of insurance guys here saying "claim from your insurance", most of the time they get accused of finding ways to repudiate claims :)

Without seeing the crack the discussion is rather academic ;)

Pictures please!

Btw, a frame that cracks when you hit it with your limbs while on the bike...I don't know. Ride the same frame over cobbles and it possibly would disintegrate into bits and pieces ;)

Hahah - thanks for all the input, the bike is is for a warranty claim but it's been referred to the head office in US for further comment.

I agree with everyone - which is to say I can see why some think it's a insurance claim and why some see it as a warrantee claim. I am hoping for the later as I have a excess if it's done thru insurance.

Will send pics of crack if I see the frame again. The bruise on my thigh is also impressive....like I said I have chunky thighs lol

So if it's already in for the warranty, did you come here for advice or validation of a choice you already made?

Opinions of how strong a frame should or should not be, has no bearing on the fact that the damaged was caused by an event.

Not trying to convince you to change your mind.

But it's important for people in general to know how insurance works.

could just be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

How can this not be a warranty claim? Your thigh cracked the frame? So you didnt fall? Manufacturers should not be allowed to get away with stuff like this.

I say first claim against warranty and then if that fails insurance :thumbup:

I've had some wheels replaced in the past which I neva thought the manufacturer would do under the warranty- so its worth a shot!

I would say that any frame should be manufactured to take the stress of hitting a cat-eye, but if the manufacturer is "harde-gat", good luck in convincing them that it was only a cat-eye you hit or knee that hit the frame :eek:

Manufactures state in the warranty that they do not cover impact damage and as it was stated that impact whether from the cat eye or thigh cause the damage it will be excluded on that fact.

Severity of the impact does not matter and is subjective and open to abuse so thats why they exclude it ( for example.... a hard hit by a guy weighing 130kg and a hard hit from someone weighing 60kg is not the same.  Not calling you a fatty, just a example :oops:  ) .  Manufacturers also keep record of were and how their frames break so if there is a record of that specific frame breaking on that spot they will warranty it.  But then it would be written of as a weak point. 

If there is no record, you wont come wright with them.  

Ive been down that road, and I can tell you its a lot easier to just go the insurance route 

Look at the mechanics behind this.

You went over a cat-eye, loosing balance, meaning all your weight is on one side. Main point of contact is your handlebar and saddle, as soon as you put your leg on your top tube to counter balance you create a leverage point that focus all momentum and weight that's trying to topple you over onto your top tube. This concentration of weight is not in a manner that the frame is designed to absorb, as its a side load.

Its like breaking a stick over your knee. 

post-4736-0-11993100-1484290890.jpg

Its the same mechanical effect, caused by hitting the cat-eye.

All I'm trying to say is the same as Patch. If I was the manufacturer,  would have said its not caused by an incident that the frame was designed to support.

It would have been easier to use your insurance.

Name the manufacturer mtbDobby so we know which frame to avoid buying. 

Help prevent other cyclists from experiencing the same trauma of a warranty or insurance dilema!

This is your civic duty! 

It is the right thing to do!

Edited by CarbonBoy

Name and Shame the bike frame!

I crashed last year and ended up with a broken arm after meeting the tar.

wheels were buckled badly, one being beyond repair.

Carbon frame assessed by two separate dealers and not a crack! and this is a brand that is the butt of all jokes.

I can't believe they build frames that can't withstand an impact of a cat eye - this is pathetic

Sorry, short thread hijack here.

I have been MTB'ing for a short 2 years now and reading this thread has blown my mind. By hitting a cat-eye at speed can you really expect to end the life of your R50k+ road bike or is this rather an isolated incident combined with the impact of the leg to the toptube?

Has this happened to other riders you guys personally know and at what flipping speed are you guys going at for this to happen?

As someone with 0% road bike knowledge I am genuinely interested

I agree that this sounds more like an insurance claim than a warranty but it is contentious. A road bike is built to withstand the normal punishment when riding on the road. Thus it should be able to handle cat-eyes, cobbles, your thigh and whatever else you do to it during a normal ride. It failed under normal use, which is why the warranty is still a valid option...

I would be very disappointed with the bike manufacturer if my road back cracked due to hitting a cat eye...