2017 Vuelta a España

Bonus

Also heard in commentary on Eurosport on Sunday that Louis dropped into the DDD bus sometime last week to chat to his new team for next year and was feeling a bit under the weather from the norovirus that has plagued DDD and he did well to hang in there at the back of the group on Sunday

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In think currently he is a top10er, will he ever be a GT winner? I hope more than I believe at the moment, this is case where I would love to be proven wrong. But I think our patriotism might be clouding our judgement here, a tad.

He's still just 25. He's behind the Yates brothers currently, marginally.

I think it is very hard to say what his peak could be, he's sure as hell better than Froome was at 25 years old - he was at Barlowworld and came 84th at the 2008 TdF, 11th in the white jersey - not exactly stellar stats and indication of future GT honours, but enough to get a deal at a big team where, since then the Sky has been the limit.

In think currently he is a top10er, will he ever be a GT winner? I hope more than I believe at the moment, this is case where I would love to be proven wrong. But I think our patriotism might be clouding our judgement here, a tad.

Dont think he is winner quality (I do hope), but think he can definitely podium. Whatever happens we will still support him for just being top 10, which is a big achievement. 

he has improved a lot since last year. i think he tried the double as well and ended 40 something. Someone mentioned that he is just at this tour to build strength in his legs and not really looking for a result. you can see some of the other younger guys doing their first double falling behind and blowing up. I think he is doing pretty well at the vuelta.

Geez guys.... I was having a joke about the fact that Teejay has been bashed and abused and written off on here but is still ahead of the guy everyone loves... a bit of tongue in cheek banter before the SS coverage starts! hahaha

I still hope Louis can be amazing and rad but realistically we will likely have to wait 5 years before he even starts peaking.

Him and the yates sisters still have 10 years of competitive cycling left... I hope Louis reaches the heights we all hope he can.

But I mean, Teejay... pffft.... 

Geez guys.... I was having a joke about the fact that Teejay has been bashed and abused and written off on here but is still ahead of the guy everyone loves... a bit of tongue in cheek banter before the SS coverage starts! hahaha

I still hope Louis can be amazing and rad but realistically we will likely have to wait 5 years before he even starts peaking.

Him and the yates sisters still have 10 years of competitive cycling left... I hope Louis reaches the heights we all hope he can.

But I mean, Teejay... pffft.... 

well ja, but we also need to remember that it goes both ways. TJ peaked at 24 yrs old with a 5th place at the TdF, since then the most noteworthy thing he's done is bank a lekker paycheque each month.

anyone know why svein tuft from ORS did not start?

nevermind, just see he pulled out before the stage

well ja, but we also need to remember that it goes both ways. TJ peaked at 24 yrs old with a 5th place at the TdF, since then the most noteworthy thing he's done is bank a lekker paycheque each month.

Just hoping Louis doesn't peak at 25 then.... otherwise we will be bashing him like we do Teejay in a few years time and my asking 'is he really genuinely that good' may not be so tongue in cheek!

We need to look objectively at the bigger picture, this idea that "he is only 25" isn't really massive differentiator.

These are just some of the guys that he will be competing against for the next 5-10 years.

Dumoulin - 26

Zakarin - 27

Jungels - 24

Yates' - 25

Quintana - 27

Bardet - 26

Barguil - 25

Buchmann - 24

Aru - 27

Benoot - 23

Latour - 23

Roglic - 27

This excludes any new youngsters that might burst onto the scene shortly too...

So he has some tough conception for the next little while.

Its not an attack on him, its just the reality.

suppose someone can explain how Tour of Britain is on live, but Vuelta ITT is only at 4pm...seems the '4th grand tour' is importanter

edit: and summer in Britain looks awesome!

And Lopez who has won two stages in this tour while louis hasn't won any in  any GT yet

Lopez is certainly a find and a half by Astana, his work rate up that mountain was incredible to say the least.

I guess only time will tell if he stays the course, lots of promising young riders are used up and get burnt out before their time, one only has to think of Jose Rujano.   

suppose someone can explain how Tour of Britain is on live, but Vuelta ITT is only at 4pm...seems the '4th grand tour' is importanter

Pfft

And I don't see any scheduling for the races in Canada the weekend..and come on those are awesome races and a lot of the guys that will be eyeing those stripes in a few weeks time will be there..so will be great to see how they are faring against each other..but SS are useless when it comes to deciding which races to show.[emoji35]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Lopez is certainly a find and a half by Astana, his work rate up that mountain was incredible to say the least.

I guess only time will tell if he stays the course, lots of promising young riders are used up and get burnt out before their time, one only has to think of Jose Rujano.

And he is quite handy at the TT..not sure how he will fare in this longer TT that is pretty much flat..but will be interesting to see how it goes.

Because the Tour of Britain coverage finishes at 16:30

And he is quite handy at the TT..not sure how he will fare in this longer TT that is pretty much flat..but will be interesting to see how it goes.

Talking about the TT's, you even get Wilco Kelderman you is 26 and much better than Louis unfortunately at the discipline so unless LM starts attacking up mountains to gain time like Andy use to he will always be on the back foot when it comes to TT just like Andy was. 

BERT IS DEFINITELY going out fighting. .so far looking good..started well hope he can keep that up for the entire route..

Archived