2017 Vuelta a España

Bonus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, missed the last part of the race, will have to catch the highlights, it sounded incredible!

[emoji85]

You need to plan better [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

I forgot to check the gap when Contador made his move.. but damn that was some fine riding there.. sure he would've like the stage win..but he gained some seconds there. .podium still a possibility.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Lopez youth nailed him there.. went hard very early and just could not maintain it.

Yoh what a stage..

That was scintillating

From my couch of course ????????????

If there's one weakness in Froome's armour it's really steep climbs. Angliru is steeper and double the distance than today's climb so the race is definitely not over yet.

Froome hasn't won the Vuelta yet. The steepness of the climbs has definitely contributed to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If there's one weakness in Froome's armour it's really steep climbs. Angliru is steeper and double the distance than today's climb so the race is definitely not over yet.

Froome hasn't won the Vuelta yet. The steepness of the climbs has definitely contributed to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ja well, this is so unpredictable nobody really knows why he lost time today.

It could be the steepness of the climb as you said, could also be that he paid for the very hard effort he put into the TT yesterday, or a combination of the two, or maybe he just had bad legs today......  During the interview afterwards he did not seem concerned at all and said he is still very confident of winning.

Maybe he was bluffing, who knows?

Ja well, this is so unpredictable nobody really knows why he lost time today.

It could be the steepness of the climb as you said, could also be that he paid for the very hard effort he put into the TT yesterday, or a combination of the two, or maybe he just had bad legs today...... During the interview afterwards he did not seem concerned at all and said he is still very confident of winning.

Maybe he was bluffing, who knows?

Ja I thought that was a bit of a bluff[emoji53] (the interview)

I think he will try and gain more time before Saturday.

Ja I thought that was a bit of a bluff[emoji53]

I think he will try and gain more time before Saturday.

He was conserving I reckon

Watch him up Angliru on Saturday ????????

Let's see

"It was a good stage, but particularly because when I had to pedal harder, my legs were responding," Contador said. "I knew I had to follow Miguel Angel Lopez, so I tried to speed up to get to him. We rode together for a moment, but then I saw he was struggling and I didn't think twice to get away from him.

"I wanted to ride in front to see who was going to continue with the same conviction to get me. In the end I didn't know about the time differences but it was a shame that I couldn't get the stage victory. Particularly, thinking about my team and the public, but well there are still three hard days to go, and we will see what can be done.

"Today was possibly the day on which I've had the better legs, this weather is of the kind that I like, I felt very comfortable and that always has an influence."

Contador is already looking forward to the next challenge. "Tomorrow I will face one of the climbs that has left a mark on me and my history as a cyclist. For me it is always special to be there, but we will see what happens tomorrow."

'El Pistolero' realizes that winning the Vuelta or even finishing on the podium may be very difficult at this point.

"I'm far away from the podium. Evidently, I've been getting closer but I'm also far from it. I would like to win this Vuelta, but I'm also realistic and I know I have rivals ahead of me that are very strong, so it is really difficult.

"Everyday things can happen. At the end you're in a race in which you give the maximum every day, and we have to be prepared for everything that can happen."

http://www.cyclingpub.com/article/2961/Vuelta+a+Espa%C3%B1a+-+Alberto+Contador%3A+It%27s+a+shame+I+couldn%27t+take+the+victory

He was conserving I reckon

Watch him up Angliru on Saturday ????????

Let's see

I don't think he was bluffing or conserving. Froome is definitely the best in the business but this is not the first time he's lost time on a steepish climb. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try and put some more time into his rivals before Saturday because I think he knows he will lose time again up the angliru.

I don't think he was bluffing or conserving. Froome is definitely the best in the business but this is not the first time he's lost time on a steepish climb. I wouldn't be surprised to see him try and put some more time into his rivals before Saturday because I think he knows he will lose time again up the angliru.

I agree, I am worried about Saturday

yeah he does prefer the high tempo climbs but he also has gone much better before on the steep stuff.The problem with the steep climbs is it is much harder to use teammates on a bad day to contain the attacks.To me the biggest thing would be the weather...Froome hates the cold rainy days.So that and Fatigue and add steep gradient to the mix makes for a bad combo for Froome.That was his biggest loss on a single day for some time.

It's going to be tough now for him to win..Nibali will be fresher and if he is smart he will use Superman and Conto better to his advantage.

I also think Froome will try and take back some seconds today..but ultimately if he shows up on Saturday with anything but good legs he will loose this one..nothing Sky can do to help him on that climb.

Us fans will never know whether Froome Dawg was conserving.

I have seen him play dead before and then smash his rivals the next day.

He knows how to play the long game.

One for Alalphillippe and the other puncheurs in a breakaway, for sure.

http://inrng.com/medias/images/vuelta2017stage18profile.gif

Archived