Newb has questions- please be patient :)

Dullscalpel

This is why you must wear compression socks. (and it should stop just below the knee.) 

The font saved you. That report button was looking real big boss.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I have some cycling questions that I hope you will be able to answer for me. I may not know all the lingo, so please be kind :)

1. Firstly, it's about gears and changing gears. When changing gears before going up a hill, must the chain be on the big ring or small ring before the hill? Also, if the chain is on the correct ring, must I still change the back gears?

2. Secondly, when at the top of the hill, must I immediately change the front ring back to it's original postion before the hill?

3. Thirdly, can you guys give me names of affordable bike shops in CT? Certain shops are so overpriced :eek:

4. Also, is wax lube the best lube to buy? How often should it be applied- assuming I ride twice a week for about 30 to 60 mins of road cycling. 

And finally, I have heard of chamois cream. What exactly does it do, and where exactly do you use it.

Sorry for all the questions. I don't have cycling friends so you guys are my cycling friends :thumbup:

back to topic (hopefully the derailers, yes NOT derailleurs,  have all left for home)

1. Gear ratio is a combination of front and rear. However I prefer to change the front first as that will make the effective gap between gears on the rear cluster smaller (easier on the legs) when making incremental changes as the hill gets longer / steeper. It means that if you are in a rhythm when climbing, the change in gears will not disrupt that rhythm too much.

2. Your legs and cadence (also what is up the road) will have a big influence. I've found that I rev up (pick up speed) easier in a slightly lighter gear than a bigger gear. Also... chains are normally dropped when big gear changes are attempted. Especially under power. Changing front and rear under power is a sure-fire way to drop a chain (or suffer chainsuck)

3. I am not from Cape Town. Only cycling shop I know of from there is Chris Willemse Cycles. That said, up in Jhb I tend to get better prices from the slightly smaller shops than the big retail chains.

4. Wax vs oil lube... There are merits to both. However, this is the stuff Friday threads are made of. I'd say go with what you bike shop prefers. 

As goldilocks once observed .... my grandma what a lot of teeth you have .... to which grandma said .... htfu and pedal my child....

as you can tell by now this isn't the place to ask for grown up answers to cycling questions

maybe this will help with your gear issues

bike shops depend on what area you are looking for but chris willemse in durbanville are really good as well as Olympic and Crown cycles in Claremont

wax lube needs to be applied on a clean chain only occasionally on road bike in summer

never lube a dirty chain and remember that water isn't your friend so don't wash your bike too often

chamois c ream is really not something you need with your kind of riding

just get and enjoy yourself and be safe on the road

I must be getting stronger, as all my climbing now entails the usage of "normal conditions"... :whistling:

No doubt lots of good advice here, but I'm sure most 'just got it' - when they started riding bikes, and don't understand how someone can not get it.

@DullScalpel - I feel your pain. I don't know how different road bikes are to mtbs - but it use to do my boyfriend's nut in when I use to ask him what gear must I be in. Until recently - because my bike had the gear numbers on the shifters - I rode by numbers. In my head I'd think - oooh hill - not that steep I should be in 2 and shift there without actually riding by feel. My new bike has changed that because there are no numbers - and times I look down at my cassette to see what gear I'm in (almost crashing in the process)  - it's odd but good odd.

The other day at Thaba, there was a group starting a ride and a girl at the back who said to her friend - " I'm in 1 - 8, is that fine? " - I cracked out laughing because I understood exactly what she meant.

The advice that sticks - and really works - keep shifting your gears to find that spot that's comfortable but not too slacking off, eventually it does get easier.

No doubt lots of good advice here, but I'm sure most 'just got it' - when they started riding bikes, and don't understand how someone can not get it.

@DullScalpel - I feel your pain. I don't know how different road bikes are to mtbs - but it use to do my boyfriend's nut in when I use to ask him what gear must I be in. Until recently - because my bike had the gear numbers on the shifters - I rode by numbers. In my head I'd think - oooh hill - not that steep I should be in 2 and shift there without actually riding by feel. My new bike has changed that because there are no numbers - and times I look down at my cassette to see what gear I'm in (almost crashing in the process) - it's odd but good odd.

The other day at Thaba, there was a group starting a ride and a girl at the back who said to her friend - " I'm in 1 - 8, is that fine? " - I cracked out laughing because I understood exactly what she meant.

The advice that sticks - and really works - keep shifting your gears to find that spot that's comfortable but not too slacking off, eventually it does get easier.

I used to be concerned many years ago about which gear i should be in until i just decided not to worry about the numbers and go with feel. Everytime theres a tough hill (lots at thaba) i just shifted to the lightest gear amd changed down one or two when i needed. Its also about getting to know the trail thats important.

Running a 1 x 11 makes life a whole lot easier.

I used to be concerned many years ago about which gear i should be in until i just decided not to worry about the numbers and go with feel. Everytime theres a tough hill (lots at thaba) i just shifted to the lightest gear amd changed down one or two when i needed. Its also about getting to know the trail thats important.

Running a 1 x 11 makes life a whole lot easier.

in my 1x10 now - I have to agree, for me there's no overthinking now - who would've guessed :)

Hi guys,

I have some cycling questions that I hope you will be able to answer for me. I may not know all the lingo, so please be kind :)

Firstly, it's about gears and changing gears. When changing gears before going up a hill, must the chain be on the big ring or small ring before the hill? Also, if the chain is on the correct ring, must I still change the back gears?

Secondly, when at the top of the hill, must I immediately change the front ring back to it's original postion before the hill?

Thirdly, can you guys give me names of affordable bike shops in CT? Certain shops are so overpriced :eek:

Also, is wax lube the best lube to buy? How often should it be applied- assuming I ride twice a week for about 30 to 60 mins of road cycling. 

And finally, I have heard of chamois cream. What exactly does it do, and where exactly do you use it.

Sorry for all the questions. I don't have cycling friends so you guys are my cycling friends :thumbup:

As you are a noob, let me suggest something that will remove some complexity until you get the hang of gears.

If you have two "rings" in front, switch to the smallest one and leave it there for the moment. If you have three, put it in the middle one.

Now only use the back gears until you are figure out how they affect your cycling. Try it on the flat and see how it works. Small makes it harder but goes faster. Big makes it easier but goes slower for each revolution of your legs.

Because big makes it easier, you will use the big gear at the back to go uphill.

Once you have the hang, ride on the flat with your chain in the middle at the back and then move only the front and see how it affects your ride.

Lube is a personal choice. For the distances you ride, use whatever you want and follow the directions.

WRT chamois cream, it protects sensitive parts from chafing. I use it as it is cheap enough and makes a difference to parts boys have but not girls. Not sure which of those you are but I am told it works for girls as well.

I never knew any of this and just feel my way around and have learnt what to change when I need to go faster, slower etc. Don't always get the uphill after a downhill transition right but getting there. Now I'm totally confused and will have to look at big rings and smaller rings and try remember what it's supposed to be.

As you are a noob, let me suggest something that will remove some complexity until you get the hang of gears.

If you have two "rings" in front, switch to the smallest one and leave it there for the moment. If you have three, put it in the middle one.

Now only use the back gears until you are figure out how they affect your cycling. Try it on the flat and see how it works. Small makes it harder but goes faster. Big makes it easier but goes slower for each revolution of your legs.

Because big makes it easier, you will use the big gear at the back to go uphill.

Once you have the hang, ride on the flat with your chain in the middle at the back and then move only the front and see how it affects your ride.

Lube is a personal choice. For the distances you ride, use whatever you want and follow the directions.

WRT chamois cream, it protects sensitive parts from chafing. I use it as it is cheap enough and makes a difference to parts boys have but not girls. Not sure which of those you are but I am told it works for girls as well.

Eddy, you have a gift for explaining things!

Eddy, you have a gift for explaining things!

It is because I have so much experience of my wife explaining things to me.....????

I am a girl :)

Thanks for this information. I will try what you said and see what happens.

I am just being overly cautious because on my first ride on my bike, 6kms in, I broke something (so many names were thrown at me- the jocky/dropout/derailleur). Anyway, this happened when I was changing gears, so I have a bit of a fear that I will do it again. I know it sounds silly but as a beginner and not knowing much about cycling, then breaking something on the bike is quite daunting :(

@DullScalpel - I feel your pain. I don't know how different road bikes are to mtbs - but it use to do my boyfriend's nut in when I use to ask him what gear must I be in. Until recently - because my bike had the gear numbers on the shifters - I rode by numbers. In my head I'd think - oooh hill - not that steep I should be in 2 and shift there without actually riding by feel. My new bike has changed that because there are no numbers - and times I look down at my cassette to see what gear I'm in (almost crashing in the process)  - it's odd but good odd.

I am sure it is all about experience and that I will get better at it, eventually. I stay in a busy area so it isn't easy to hop on a bike and cycle around in the traffic playing with gears! :)

Factually inaccurate. We were all feed bull**** and banter, when we started, which we had to sift through. Thats part of the fun. Working out what was misdirection for personal amusement and what was jolly cooperation.

Factually inaccurate. We were all feed bull**** and banter, when we started, which we had to sift through. Thats part of the fun. Working out what was misdirection for personal amusement and what was jolly cooperation.

But isn't that all part of the fun?! :)

But isn't that all part of the fun?! :)

Some of us think so. Whilst theHub is a great place to learn about your bike and riding in general, actually being on your bike and learning about the bicycle and your how your body responds is going to be your primary source of learning over time.

We're just here to let you know you aren't unique. We were all clueless :D Still are probably. We just fake it better than you

Archived