Bicycle licence fees

Mojoman

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mandatory part of obtaining a driver's license should be to make no fewer than 10 trips by bicycle of 15k from the suburbs to the CBD of the town in which the test takes place.

This individual would change his tune very quickly if he had this experience. 

The bike will be stolen.

Only thing cycle lanes are good for is for cars and motorbikes to park in and a place to find cyclists to bike jack. Oh I forgot, cycle lanes are actually smoking zones in CBD and a place for informal stalls to setup.

The OP is clearly having a bad reaction to something that happened to, or in, him! Some cyclists act and ride like pricks, and do cause danger, just as some motorists do as well. Tolerance, vigilance and a bit of lucky anticipation from all will help bring the temperature down for us all! And, if you start factoring in licence fees for the N+1 gang, with some heavy metal in the mix, it may actually contribute towards sorting out safer cycling "zones" for the roadies/commuters. My fatbike with all the entrapments on it might actually get me quite a few kms of road :) :) 

As for getting your bike licensed - well that's how it used to be but it cost more in administration fees than what you can charge.

AS FOR a cycling license I think it is a GREAT idea but that is all it will ever be totally impractical to implement.

One BIG worry I have is seeing ALL the new cycling lanes being built everywhere on the peninsula - by law you will have to use them instead of the road. These cycling lanes are ok for commuting and maybe recreation but for use as a sport and training they ARE death traps.

They are unusable and dangerous - the law will not be changed.

Exactly! You said it, would also pay a related fee in order to get some rights and protection.

But that's the thing, you already have the rights.

Of course not all cyclists fall into this category, but the majority who do, gives the sport a bad name and leave motorists fuming.

Not all Neil Holtshausens are idiots, but the majority are.

I can never understand what is so important to people that they need to overtake on blind rises and edge past cyclists? 

Work - Um, who wants to get to work faster? 

Home - I am sure your family would like to spend time at home with you instead of visiting you in jail. 

Church - You can miss the first two hymns. 

Soccer - They only start playing in the 89th minute. 

My worst is when they overtake you, only to sit in bumper to bumper traffic in 300m which they could see... That person gets a  :clap: Without the smilie

I can never understand what is so important to people that they need to overtake on blind rises and edge past cyclists? 

Work - Um, who wants to get to work faster? 

Home - I am sure your family would like to spend time at home with you instead of visiting you in jail. 

Church - You can miss the first two hymns. 

Soccer - They only start playing in the 89th minute. 

My worst is when they overtake you, only to sit in bumper to bumper traffic in 300m which they could see... That person gets a  :clap: Without the smilie

they are intimidated and emasculated by the sight of our gleaming guns outside their car window and have to drive past quickly before their feelings of insecurity lead them to do something crazy like take up exercise .......... ^_^ 

my fav cycling cartoon sorry patch :whistling: 

Since we're posting pictures and not using words

http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg

Meanwhile, in North Dakota...

https://twitter.com/velonews/status/821783186397134849

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/advocacy/nd-bill-could-help-drivers-avoid-liability-in-cyclists-death

ND Bill Could Help Drivers Avoid Liability in Cyclists' Death

A new bill introduced in the North Dakota state legislature would legally relieve drivers of responsibility for hitting cyclists who impede trafficA

BY ROBERT ANNIS

Countries that have a driver liability law in place ALL have the lowest cyclist mortality rate. It really is the simplest way to ensure motorists drive in a safe way with respect for vulnerable road users.

But the Republicans seem to be on a mission across the US. Every vulnerable minority is in trouble.

Since we're posting pictures and not using words

http://i.imgur.com/tyTc1Nl.jpg

yeah I get the point bert but as my little cartoon makes perfectly clear ... your rights on the road don't mean sh*t when you are dead and complaining to god , so where you going with this ?

it was intended to reinforce the point you made ..yes we do have rights already but they don't matter after some idiots squashes you in traffic ....its called ironic humour -_-

everyone isn't out to get you today chill out

Putting an administrative hurdle in the way to legally ride your bike on the road, goes against the very idea of trying to get more people to use bicycles instead of cars.

And don't get me started about the moronic "road tax" debate. If I have to have that discussion with some moron around a braai one more time.... people just don't think.

Recreational cyclists are mostly in the middle to upper income brackets. I did the sums once, but basically taking various company, income and road taxes into account, on average cyclists pay way more towards roads than the average non-cycling motorist.

However if more of us recreational cyclists acted in a more considerate manner, we would have less pissed off motorists and less of these rants.

If we want to preach rights, we need accept that we have a behavioral responsibility too.

Archived