SA To Include Driving Lessons In School Curriculum

carbon29er

According to buzzfeed, yeah the golden shower people, all school kids are going to be taught how to drive.

South Africa’s Road Traffic Infringement Agency and the Department of Basic Education have agreeably announced that driving lessons will soon be included in the SA school curriculum. The two departments announced a partnership which includes extending driving lessons into high school curriculum and the Soshanguve East Secondary School, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said that the announcement was part of a long-term initiative to establish and enhance road safety by “skilling” drivers. This announcement follows Peters announcement that the transport department will settle for no nonsense against all traffic offenders which equally follows the department’s increase in the record of death occurrence.

Speaking on the department’s plan of including driving lessons in school curriculum, Peters said the provision of a driving simulators programme will be implemented during the 2017/18 financial year. “We also have the partnership with the Department of Basic Education to ensure the inclusion of road safety in the curriculum and the training of teachers. This essentially entails different aspects of road safety awareness which are intended to adequately skill new drivers,” Minister Peters said. “Formal education and training will remain important but we must also broaden our minds and find ways to include road safety messages into the wider curriculum, into mathematics and science, geography and civic education,” Minister Peters said, adding that the Transport department is in the process of finalising the Graduated Driving License framework. “We will work with department of justice to make sure that there is convictions,” Peters added.

Meanwhile, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Eugene Watson has called on government and SA transport department to do all it takes to reduce the overwhelming accident rate in the country. He said the scourge of car accidents and related fatalities have reached disturbing proportions and if not curbed it will place untold strain on South Africa. “The death of breadwinners, heads of families, and economically active youth at the threshold of their lives, as well as innocent young children and toddlers, weighs heavily on our country, sets society back and harms our economy,” Watson said in a statement. “To the millions of road users who remained alert while traveling, we thank you for heeding the RAF’s call to stay safe.”

He said that drunken driving, speeding, un-roadworthy vehicles, fatigue, overtaking on barrier lines, and failure to wear visible clothing at night were some of the main causes for road deaths.

Source: http://buzzsouthafrica.com/sa-to-include-driving-lessons-in-school-curriculum/

South Africa’s Road Traffic Infringement Agency and the Department of Basic Education have agreeably announced that driving lessons will soon be included in the SA school curriculum. The two departments announced a partnership which includes extending driving lessons into high school curriculum and the Soshanguve East Secondary School, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said that the announcement was part of a long-term initiative to establish and enhance road safety by “skilling” drivers. This announcement follows Peters announcement that the transport department will settle for no nonsense against all traffic offenders which equally follows the department’s increase in the record of death occurrence. Read Also: Ambulance Crew Robbed While Treating Patient: Why Are SA Criminals Super Heartless? Speaking on the department’s plan of including driving lessons in school curriculum, Peters said the provision of a driving simulators programme will be implemented during the 2017/18 financial year. “We also have the partnership with the Department of Basic Education to ensure the inclusion of road safety in the curriculum and the training of teachers. This essentially entails different aspects of road safety awareness which are intended to adequately skill new drivers,” Minister Peters said. “Formal education and training will remain important but we must also broaden our minds and find ways to include road safety messages into the wider curriculum, into mathematics and science, geography and civic education,” Minister Peters said, adding that the Transport department is in the process of finalising the Graduated Driving License framework. “We will work with department of justice to make sure that there is convictions,” Peters added. Meanwhile, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Eugene Watson has called on government and SA transport department to do all it takes to reduce the overwhelming accident rate in the country. He said the scourge of car accidents and related fatalities have reached disturbing proportions and if not curbed it will place untold strain on South Africa. “The death of breadwinners, heads of families, and economically active youth at the threshold of their lives, as well as innocent young children and toddlers, weighs heavily on our country, sets society back and harms our economy,” Watson said in a statement. “To the millions of road users who remained alert while traveling, we thank you for heeding the RAF’s call to stay safe.” Read Also: IMF: Education Reform Is key To Getting SA Out Of Growth Slump He said that drunken driving, speeding, un-roadworthy vehicles, fatigue, overtaking on barrier lines, and failure to wear visible clothing at night were some of the main causes for road deaths.

Read more: http://buzzsouthafrica.com/sa-to-include-driving-lessons-in-school-curriculum/
South Africa’s Road Traffic Infringement Agency and the Department of Basic Education have agreeably announced that driving lessons will soon be included in the SA school curriculum. The two departments announced a partnership which includes extending driving lessons into high school curriculum and the Soshanguve East Secondary School, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said that the announcement was part of a long-term initiative to establish and enhance road safety by “skilling” drivers. This announcement follows Peters announcement that the transport department will settle for no nonsense against all traffic offenders which equally follows the department’s increase in the record of death occurrence. Read Also: Ambulance Crew Robbed While Treating Patient: Why Are SA Criminals Super Heartless? Speaking on the department’s plan of including driving lessons in school curriculum, Peters said the provision of a driving simulators programme will be implemented during the 2017/18 financial year. “We also have the partnership with the Department of Basic Education to ensure the inclusion of road safety in the curriculum and the training of teachers. This essentially entails different aspects of road safety awareness which are intended to adequately skill new drivers,” Minister Peters said. “Formal education and training will remain important but we must also broaden our minds and find ways to include road safety messages into the wider curriculum, into mathematics and science, geography and civic education,” Minister Peters said, adding that the Transport department is in the process of finalising the Graduated Driving License framework. “We will work with department of justice to make sure that there is convictions,” Peters added. Meanwhile, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Eugene Watson has called on government and SA transport department to do all it takes to reduce the overwhelming accident rate in the country. He said the scourge of car accidents and related fatalities have reached disturbing proportions and if not curbed it will place untold strain on South Africa. “The death of breadwinners, heads of families, and economically active youth at the threshold of their lives, as well as innocent young children and toddlers, weighs heavily on our country, sets society back and harms our economy,” Watson said in a statement. “To the millions of road users who remained alert while traveling, we thank you for heeding the RAF’s call to stay safe.” Read Also: IMF: Education Reform Is key To Getting SA Out Of Growth Slump He said that drunken driving, speeding, un-roadworthy vehicles, fatigue, overtaking on barrier lines, and failure to wear visible clothing at night were some of the main causes for road deaths.

Read more: http://buzzsouthafrica.com/sa-to-include-driving-lessons-in-school-curriculum/

They still need to add to the curriculum the following:

Taxes-how to pay it and do returns

Common Courtesy

Ethics(yes it is a subject at university but not all reach that stage)

The importance of the FTP to cycling training

Choosing the appropriate sock length...

Right idea but the approach might be slightly off.  

Rather focus on traffic laws.  As all of them are road users in the form of pedestrians, cyclists and as they get older motorists.  Not driving lessons as well at school level.

Right idea but the approach might be slightly off.  

Rather focus on traffic laws.  As all of them are road users in the form of pedestrians, cyclists and as they get older motorists.  Not driving lessons as well at school level.

It's sad that the traffic learning centres that I used as a kid in Benoni have fallen into disrepair.  

About time. 

It needs to go a lot further back unfortunately. They need to start at primary school. The simple things like look left, right and left again and cross when the green man is on.

While they are at it, maybe dust off old Zibi and grab a can or two...

It needs to go a lot further back unfortunately. They need to start at primary school. The simple things like look left, right and left again and cross when the green man is on.

+1  and old Daaintjie Kat (Spelling).

I said it before here on the Hub.  I very much like what they are doing here in Germany.  Kids are learnt road rules in Grade 1-4.  At the end of Grade 4 the do a "Drivers license" with their bicycles with the police being present when they do their "test".  Bikes have to be roadworthy, lights on, etc.  And the test is done on a test track with road signs, operational traffic lights, etc etc.

Edited by Bateleur1

+1  and old Daaintjie Kat (Spelling).

I said it before here on the Hub.  I very much like what they are doing here in Germany.  Kids are learnt road rules in Grade 1-4.  At the end of Grade 4 the do a "Drivers license" with their bicycles with the police being present when they do their "test".  Bikes have to be roadworthy, lights on, etc.  And the test is done on a test track with road signs, operational traffic lights, etc etc.

Harking back to the "good old days" we had a similar setup at primary school (OK it was in the 70's). Robots, signs etc and if my memory serves me right it was a lesson out on the track with scooters or some such mode of transport as part of the school curriculum.

Edit: There were no police present and there was no test. It was more of an awareness thing

Edited by Grebel

Harking back to the "good old days" we had a similar setup at primary school (OK it was in the 70's). Robots, signs etc and if my memory serves me right it was a lesson out on the track with scooters or some such mode of transport as part of the school curriculum.

Edit: There were no police present and there was no test. It was more of an awareness thing

I also remember that ( I take it we are of similar age).  I also remember there were booklets handed out by the then Department of Transport with illustrations on riding you bicycle on the roads as a kid, what hand signs to use, how to change lanes when on a bicycle, etc, etc.

Sadly I think we have a better chance of educating kids on road use over littering, I live down the road from a high school and they are simply scruffy sh$ts who drop everything everywhere.....

Sadly I think we have a better chance of educating kids on road use over littering, I live down the road from a high school and they are simply scruffy sh$ts who drop everything everywhere.....

Sadly the littering thing is discipline that is taught at home from a young age...if my two boys drop a sweetie wrapper in the yard I make them pick it up and throw it in the bin...when I was in school if you got caught littering (inside or outside the school) you got detention and ultimately beaten - if you were a repeat offender....the detention would involve walking the school grounds picking up litter...

And yes the problem isn't learning to drive - it comes back to the basics...learning to look when crossing the road and crossing the road at designated crossings etc. Stopping when the light turns to orange etc...Mind you some cyclists I have seen could use some help with that one...

I too remember going to those little traffic learning places when I was little, and it is a shame that for whatever reason they are no longer deemed necessary and thus abandoned...

Sadly the littering thing is discipline that is taught at home from a young age...if my two boys drop a sweetie wrapper in the yard I make them pick it up and throw it in the bin...when I was in school if you got caught littering (inside or outside the school) you got detention and ultimately beaten - if you were a repeat offender....the detention would involve walking the school grounds picking up litter...

And yes the problem isn't learning to drive - it comes back to the basics...learning to look when crossing the road and crossing the road at designated crossings etc. Stopping when the light turns to orange etc...Mind you some cyclists I have seen could use some help with that one...

I too remember going to those little traffic learning places when I was little, and it is a shame that for whatever reason they are no longer deemed necessary and thus abandoned...

I agree its taught at home but equally these days it seems the schools don't give a toss either. Gone are the days of litter patrol, cleaning school rooms etc. Or so it seems at state facilities...

I think this is a brillant idea. I've been talking about this for sometime now. 

If i'm not mistaken they do this in Finland where kids not only learn the basics but also advance driving (eg: skid pad braking). 
Like cycling it's about the saddle time. The more saddle time you put into it the better. Some kids go for package (10 lessons) and pass. 

They cover the pure basics which i feel isn't enough.