Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

I only take plugs and 2 x co2 canisters..

I used to do that, but after a side wall cut in a race I always carry a tube, it's better finishing the race than waiting for the sweep vehicle.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be fine btw -

But I have to smile because surely that is the classic cyclist mistake - using the big race to test new equipment for the first time...

NOT ONLY NEW TYRES but 2nd hand bike as well!! Things could get interesting

To do list for tonight:

Clean the bike

Box the bike.

Contain adrenalin rush.

Re-double check that Racetec chip is fitted on bike.

Make sure tools, dashboard gadgets and spares are included in box.

Contain adrenalin rush.

Look at bike once more before closing box.

Ask wife if she has packed all my clothes for the weekend.

Are we not making use of the new Racetec boards instead of the chips?

Which brings up another point ... still waiting for the roadie brigade to complain about the size and non aero design of the board.

Which brings up another point ... still waiting for the roadie brigade to complain about the size and non aero design of the board.

You cross a timing mat at the start in Uniondale and another at the finish in Knysna. As far as I am aware the boards absolutely have to be fitted on your bike, but I doubt that they are embedded with some sort of transponder to record your time when you cross the Racetec Timing mat. I fit my transponder because it is a force of habit as much as it is a requirement for timing, imho. Maybe someone else is more up to date with the Transponder fitment/requirement and they can give us an educated update. 

Was wondering the same thing - what with now having a Racetec chip and a Racetec board that contains a chip. I assume though that we'll be getting K2C boards with your seeding number (as in the past) with timing then taking place through the chip. They have emphasises the importance of bringing / wearing your chip, with no mention re the MTB boards anywhere...

Was wondering the same thing - what with now having a Racetec chip and a Racetec board that contains a chip. I assume though that we'll be getting K2C boards with your seeding number (as in the past) with timing then taking place through the chip. They have emphasises the importance of bringing / wearing your chip, with no mention re the MTB boards anywhere...

I've send a mail to Zandile at K2C asking for clarification. Keep your eyes on the FB page, she will more than likely address the issue there. I think a lot of people (including myself) are not up to speed with requirements. 

I've send a mail to Zandile at K2C asking for clarification. Keep your eyes on the FB page, she will more than likely address the issue there. I think a lot of people (including myself) are not up to speed with requirements. 

At K2C we will get number boards so we won't be using our PPA boards with the timing chip in them.

We will need to use our old racetec chips for K2C. Is my bet...

At K2C we will get number boards so we won't be using our PPA boards with the timing chip in them.

We will need to use our old racetec chips for K2C. Is my bet...

At the Knysna Oyster Festival mtb organised by the same people (I think) we got bikeboards with timing chips and didn't use racetec - my bet is they would use the same system for k2c  OK scrap that theory

Edited by Skubarra

Probably safe for me to bring both. 

I suspect that if you don't yet have a board, or not a PPA member you might want to give yourself amble time at registration to get it.  The new boards contain a timing chip within the board, and then they use a sticker to indicate your starting group (which will cause a bit of difficulties probably with the marshals as it is much smaller font.

This was in the email that we received last week. It's not in the number board.

TIMING
RaceTec will time the event and you must wear a RaceTec Chip if you want to be timed or receive a result. RaceTec will be at Registration/Number Collection for the collection and purchasing of chips. You can also come to the RaceTec counter to test your chip.

This was in the email that we received last week. It's not in the number board.

TIMING

RaceTec will time the event and you must wear a RaceTec Chip if you want to be timed or receive a result. RaceTec will be at Registration/Number Collection for the collection and purchasing of chips. You can also come to the RaceTec counter to test your chip.

Ok thanks

Nice. Im getting sick.

Dammit! Me too. Feeling like i'm never going to ride this event in a healthy state.