Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea of the state of the forests along the route? Was so great to ride in the shade of the forest canopy last year.

Is there a Dr Evil thread? Doing the DR Evil classic, just a little not sure of what to expect. This year done 2 mtb rides, crashed twice. Once on a dirt road, second one nailing a sick tail whip into a ditch. How much ST is there?

Simola, you're breaking my heart

You're shaking my confidence daily

Ja nee kyk simola is n bitch op kramperige bene....

I just checked again, and it's an entirely different forecast!  Ignore everything I've said - it looks like it's going to be a fantastic day!  :clap:

Windguru and WindyTY - looking at Knysna.

Windguru reckons it will be a warmish day with almost no wind in Knysna. Perhaps a surf at Vicbay will be better, seeing as the swell size translates to a solid 6-8 foot day of point break action. But alas...we choose the sufferfest of the K2C instead. Good luck to all and sundry.

post-103677-0-24888100-1505719943_thumb.png

I recommend sucking it up as far as enduring a possibly chilly start, as the Ou Wapad will cause one's body temp to increase significantly. By the time you reach De Vlugt, the temp will be close to 30 degrees, if not already more, so keep layering to a minimum. 

SUNBLOCK!!!

Have some ready-to-apply sunblock, as things will start getting toasty on the approach to Diepwalle. In the valley between De Vlugt and Knysna, there is not usually much wind, and the sun will be beating down. 

HYDRATE!!!

Make sure that you drink enough, and that you have ample water to carry you over to the next waterpoint.

PACE!!!

Don't strike your matches at the start. The race only begins at Simola.

Not sure why people have such fear of Simola, it is just a nudge over 2.5km long with a mere 160m ascent. Rather fitting "last climb" for a spectacular route such as this. 

attachicon.gifsimmy.gif

On it's own, Suikerbossie is also not an intimidating hill, and is easily ridden at good tempo. But after 85 odd kilometers, it's a friggen mountain!!!!

As for Simola, it's that first 100 meters out of the river that sets the tone for the rest of the climb --> PAIN CAVE!!!