Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

If you can ride up Wapad, do it with the end goal in mind. Take it easy, ride within yourself up here. You won't make up a lot of time by cranking it up this section. There are around seven long climbs, so be easy on the cold legs. Wack it up Wapad and Simola will reduce you to cramps and tears. Riding all the way does not only make the beers taste better in Knysna, it also emphasizes the cliched expression, " Train like you've never won, Race like you've never lost". Best of luck to all and may the weather be good for us. (In my case I also hope for Mercy from Above and a tailwind from behind).  

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in D again, same as my last K2C in 2014. I remembered a lot of walkers that year, couldn't really get a rhythm going so ended up walking most of wapad as well. Think this year I will start towards the back of D and not blast the first km's on tar.

Hey everyone....i have a small logistical issue: getting my car from Uniondale to Knysna. Anyone available to help with a driver? Thanks a ton.

I'm in D again, same as my last K2C in 2014. I remembered a lot of walkers that year, couldn't really get a rhythm going so ended up walking most of wapad as well. Think this year I will start towards the back of D and not blast the first km's on tar.

D as well

Last night, I did a near vomit inducing spin session lasting 1h45m, spending almost 12 minutes overall in the V02 zone. The second time ever that I cramped after a ride, albeit a spin bike, and the first time I understood what people refer to when they say that they were "bleeding from the eyeballs". The session included some high cadence out of saddle sessions lasting around 5 minutes a pop, and also a bit of virtual TT sessions of around 3 x 3 minutes at 100 rpm cadence.  :o

Tomorrow I will do a last long session of around 5 hours tits, before calling it quits for the K2C training. This will cap of a training block which began way back in June.

According to Today's Plan, I doubled my score from when I started, and will be hovering around the Chronic Training Load score of about 50-52-ish come race day.

yoh, thats a bit rough...should tapering for a race not be around 2 weeks? Your 3rd week before a race should be your biggest week or doesn't it matter that much. What time are you aiming for?

rest of my training:

Sat: 75min endurance

Sun: 75min endurance

Tue: 45min zone 1 with 4 x 2min vo2

Thur: 45min zone 1 with 3 x 1min vo2

Sat: 45 min zone 1 with 2 x 4min ftp and 2 x 1min vo2

Hey everyone....i have a small logistical issue: getting my car from Uniondale to Knysna. Anyone available to help with a driver? Thanks a ton.

Sorry, can't help as we only just managed to organise this through a mates family from George. I can't understand why a driver only service to get your car from Uniondale to Knysna does not get offered by K2C. It is a service i would gladly pay for and i'm sure there are many others who would too. It could raise much more funding for the charity.

yoh, thats a bit rough...should tapering for a race not be around 2 weeks? Your 3rd week before a race should be your biggest week or doesn't it matter that much. What time are you aiming for?

I am going for hopefully a sub 5, but will settle for anything under 5:30

I am not sure of when to taper, but will not be doing anything strenuous after tomorrow. I will have a easy endurance ride of say 2 hours on Wednesday, and on Saturday next week, I will throw in a quick leg-loosener of around 1H30, keeping it in zone 1 with little to no effort.

Easy 72km on Sat.

42 on Sun. (as the body dictates).

52 Tues. Tempo little up.

32 Thursday morning. Very Easy

Thursday evening fly to Cape Town.

Friday drive to Mosselbay.

Sat, via Robertson Pass and Oudshoorn to Uniondale. (sightseeing).

Staying in Voortrekker street Uniondale.

Been raining in Durban for the last few days and the weekend forecast isn't any better.

But then again, my Samsung TV is known for talking a lot of shite about the weather.

Been thinking of getting a LG, apparently they are a lot closer to the truth about matters weather related. 

Sorry, can't help as we only just managed to organise this through a mates family from George. I can't understand why a driver only service to get your car from Uniondale to Knysna does not get offered by K2C. It is a service i would gladly pay for and i'm sure there are many others who would too. It could raise much more funding for the charity.

Ok thanks. Apparently organisers have tried to initiate this but are struggling to get it off the ground. Not sure of exact reasons.

But as you say, an opportunity for schools/charities to organise and make some extra moola for their causes.

Alternatively, I would be keen to hitch a lift Sunday morning to start? From Knysna or Plett. I'm easy & will contribute of course. Anybody? Thx hubbers.

Training: nothing big i've done last weeks. This weekend 40km, 60km Fedhealth challenge, then Tuesday another 40km. Then from Thursday doing the Dr. Evil - 73, 40 & 50km, then straight into K2C :clap:. Gonna be awesome week