Karoo to Coast 2017

LeoKnight

Hi peeps

Can one do a substitution the evening before the race?

Also can one use a gravel bike?   Just the first bit might be a bit gnarly....

thanks

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi peeps

thanks

No substitutions are permitted after the closing date. You can use a gravel bike, but I would not personally. Some parts are very rutted on the descent from Ou Wapad. Also depending on the weather prior to the event, you may have long sections of "sink-plaat" caused by the forestry trucks. A dually will make this more tolerable. 

Hi peeps

thanks

This dude road K2C on this bike last year.

post-68204-0-69279700-1503667780_thumb.jpg

I think it's crazy that they close substitutions six weeks before the event!!

Edited by duncanhalloyd

I think it's crazy that they close substitutions six weeks before the event!!

Has the event received CSA sanctioning this year?

Not sure but I've raised a query about the sub process with CSA anyway

Not sure but I've raised a query about the sub process with CSA anyway

This will get you nowhere, as this is not a CSA sanctioned event, hence the absence of any big names in the starting batch. Last year (could have been 2015...) there was a fuss about CSA revoking licences of any pro riders planning on doing the race, as they (the CSA) had no finger in the pie.

This will get you nowhere, as this is not a CSA sanctioned event, hence the absence of any big names in the starting batch. Last year (could have been 2015...) there was a fuss about CSA revoking licences of any pro riders planning on doing the race, as they (the CSA) had no finger in the pie.

So it's confirmed, no CSA sanctioning for 2017, again?

So it's confirmed, no CSA sanctioning for 2017, again?

I recall reading something to this affect not too long ago. CSA are treating this as an unsanctioned event, and therefor we are not likely to see any pro's in the lineup. This is why the race was won by Gerrie Beukes, Matthys's brother, last year. Not detracting anything from Gerrie, but his boet or Phil Buys or any of a host of other pro's would have taken him to the cleaners. Matt Beers won in 2015, which was the last time a pro-rider took line honours.

[edit] And why would they sanction K2C if they cannot even pull their collective fingers out their b-hinds and send a delegation to the upcoming World Champs in Cairns. SA sport is truly in a sorry state.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

And why would they sanction K2C if they cannot even pull their collective fingers out their b-hinds and send a delegation to the upcoming World Champs in Cairns. SA sport is truly in a sorry state.

Shoeee, things must be tough if they cannot even send a team of administrators on a jolly to Australia.

Or are the suits going, but just not the athletes ?

Shoeee, things must be tough if they cannot even send a team of administrators on a jolly to Australia.

Or are the suits going, but just not the athletes ?

jaaaa okaayyy..semantics. I trust that everyone else understood my post. But then again, perhaps the TEAM could not go because the DELEGATION is going instead...

jaaaa okaayyy..semantics. I trust that everyone else understood my post. But then again, perhaps the TEAM could not go because the DELEGATION is going instead...

That is what i suspected was happening. There is always money to be found for the "administrators" to travel....

Back to the route... first time riding the K2C. Any tips or hints on what to expect and that will make the trip and race more memorable?