Cycling kit polls

Gavster229

Kit choice  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which kit would you prefer?

• Top end, extremely well designed from local brand
    • Brand named kits e.g: Giant, Specialized etc.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP.. whatever you do..invest in doing proper research for the ladies...the area that we sit on can become a complicated story.... so yes style etc is important but more importantly is it needs to work for the ladies where it matters most..[emoji106]

Some ladies have no issues.. unfortunately I am not one of those [emoji53]

Edited by Gen

To the OP.. whatever you do..invest in doing proper research for the ladies...the area that we sit on can become a complicated story.... so yes style etc is important but more importantly is it needs to work for the ladies where it matters most..[emoji106]

Thanks So much Gen, Im happy you said that and even happier to tell you that I have a lady on board that we sponsor and she will test the ladies range very thoroughly. We will also take on board all the feedback from the clients so that we can build on producing the best possible kit !

Be carefull in trying to hit the same price point as premium brands. I work for a brand company, it takes years and millions to create a premium brand.  It is about perception and aspiration more than anything else. Yes, quality starts you out on the journey, but is desire, innovation, marketing investment and brand equity that "allows" you to charge the premium price one day. Take Johnny Walker Wisky, top selling blend and demands a price premium, yet has not won a recognised spirits prize in ages.

So, from an accounting point of view, I fell you cannot charge the same as a top imported brand because you have 1 or 2 less steps in the value chain

From a brand point of view, you cannot charge the same as the premium imported brands because you have no brand equity.

So, by all means have long term premiumtisation aspirations, but if your business plan is banking on being a premium brand from day 1, I for one will not be the bank manager on your business journey.

Sourcing and Route to market are quite mechanical and relatively easy to figure out. It is building that brand that will take alot, and it is more art than science or engineering.

You need a story behind you, the kind that only history and a track record of success brings you. You need the power of association (being a sport, this association needs to be with winning and speed, i.e. teams and cycling legends). You need innovation and third party verified performance. And then you need customer loyalty. This, I am affraid takes a long time and careful planning and a well funded business.

Good luck - and please keep the desings more simple and less colourfull than an anatomic product at the CTCT cycle fair

Edited by daniemare

Gen is a girl!!! **********SHOCK***********

We have tried most of the local manufactures and could not get them to deliver. ONly excuses excuse and more excuses. Our club chairman sources our kit from Nimblewear and these guys have never ever let us down.

Their service is of a such high standard that we really don't mind waiting 6 weeks from order for kit. Chairman sends them a sketch of what we want and pop, next day we have the layout and proper pictures of what we want mailed to us. 

Consignment and quality always delivered as promised. Not everything from the east is cheap quality. you get what you are willing to pay for.

#trustworthyservice

Thanks So much Gen, Im happy you said that and even happier to tell you that I have a lady on board that we sponsor and she will test the ladies range very thoroughly. We will also take on board all the feedback from the clients so that we can build on producing the best possible kit !

If you need a team of weekday warriors to try stuff out let us know :P Will do anything to help out a hub member

It's not design that holds back local manufacture of kit. Shirts seem to come close to being wearable if you pay attention to the cloth you are being offered.

But bibshorts are a long way off the standard of Santini, Castelli and Assos. I'm sure the spandex and padding are similar but the cut and finish are a long way off. But even those struggle to keep one comfortable on very long rides.

In the mid noughties Anatomic made a short with one big grey chamois, the cut was great in the gold label range and the pad worked for 8+ hour rides. Then they moved to a fancy moulded pad and their shorts became very ordinary.

So my advice is to focus on the fabric and cut and finish. Most cyclists have no taste at all when it comes to shirts. Just look at what you see on the roads and trails.

But the big opening is in quality black shorts.

Service service service. South Africans are brand faithful. You will have stand above the rest with regards to service

Be carefull in trying to hit the same price point as premium brands. I work for a brand company, it takes years and millions to create a premium brand.  It is about perception and aspiration more than anything else. Yes, quality starts you out on the journey, but is desire, innovation, marketing investment and brand equity that "allows" you to charge the premium price one day. Take Johnny Walker Wisky, top selling blend and demands a price premium, yet has not won a recognised spirits prize in ages.

So, from an accounting point of view, I fell you cannot charge the same as a top imported brand because you have 1 or 2 less steps in the value chain

From a brand point of view, you cannot charge the same as the premium imported brands because you have no brand equity.

So, by all means have long term premiumtisation aspirations, but if your business plan is banking on being a premium brand from day 1, I for one will not be the bank manager on your business journey.

Sourcing and Route to market are quite mechanical and relatively easy to figure out. It is building that brand that will take alot, and it is more art than science or engineering.

You need a story behind you, the kind that only history and a track record of success brings you. You need the power of association (being a sport, this association needs to be with winning and speed, i.e. teams and cycling legends). You need innovation and third party verified performance. And then you need customer loyalty. This, I am affraid takes a long time and careful planning and a well funded business.

Good luck - and please keep the desings more simple and less colourfull than an anatomic product at the CTCT cycle fair

Thanks for the sound advice and good to know that we are on the right track. 

Referencing Gen's comments for the ladies.... I am normally quite unfussy with chamois. Ive never really had problems with any of mine. I do however not like bibs with writing across the top of your backside in large bold letters. For ladies that have bums that fall on the generous side it makes you feel like one of these trucks with the abnormal sign on the back. :blush:

Referencing Gen's comments for the ladies.... I am normally quite unfussy with chamois. Ive never really had problems with any of mine. I do however not like bibs with writing across the top of your backside in large bold letters. For ladies that have bums that fall on the generous side it makes you feel like one of these trucks with the abnormal sign on the back. :blush:

Thanks for the feedback. And as I mentioned before we have a lady on our team who will definitely keep us in line!! with kit designs as well as cut and fits.

Thanks for the feedback. And as I mentioned before we have a lady on our team who will definitely keep us in line!! with kit designs as well as cut and fits.

You need at least ten ladies of different ages, body types, fitness levels and disciplines (road, mtb, track) Please don't make the mistake of testing your cuts on just one lady.  Rather pay a bit more to have more sample kit made and get more ladies to test.

Remember only a small portion of ladies are very serious racers,  the average lady ( your target market ) is a lady of medium fitness with a few curves.  She might not be a strava queen, but she enjoys riding and she has money to spend on a good bib that will feel comfortable.

I wish you all the best

You need at least ten ladies of different ages, body types, fitness levels and disciplines (road, mtb, track) Please don't make the mistake of testing your cuts on just one lady.  Rather pay a bit more to have more sample kit made and get more ladies to test.

Remember only a small portion of ladies are very serious racers,  the average lady ( your target market ) is a lady of medium fitness with a few curves.  She might not be a strava queen, but she enjoys riding and she has money to spend on a good bib that will feel comfortable.

I wish you all the best

Thank you. Our lady is no race snake but I will ask her to recruit more ladies that she rides with on the weekends. In terms of samples. Its where most of the money will go initially so that we can get feedback and work on building up better kit.

Unfortunately this will all take time and a lot of cash but we want our riders to be happy. On all levels.  :thumbup: