Shimano Ice-Tech Rotors

Andrew_Smith

Seems that I need to get a set of these then.

Wanted to ask if I can use my IceTech XT brake set with normal disks.  But seems that the upgrade on disks sounds worth it.  And after reading a few things on the heavy riders (I am 91.3 kg's) I will have to get an 180 up front.  Would also explain why I had a brake problem a few weeks ago, and the hissing noise I heard as the rain and rivers hit the brakes, and why after a lot of struggling and sliding in the mud the brakes had problems.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Icetech discs may have less tolerance for wear because you can have a nasty crash if you wear through the steel facings into the alu core. They start life at 2mm thick and Shimano recommends replacing at 1.5mm. There will be some extra meat for safety factor but be careful.

My set has done about 7500km of 90% trail riding and worn to 1.6mm in that time. Spares are waiting in the cupboard. I use the RT86 in 203 front and 180 rear. Expensive but specials come up from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How much do you weigh?

How much do you weigh?

90kg in cycling kit with hydration pack. Riding a 29er. I like 1 finger brakes. All these factors together led to the big disc setup. On my old 26er and a few kilos lighter back then, 180 / 160 combo was adequate. 2 fingers sometimes. The bigger wheels make a difference that you can feel....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Seems that I need to get a set of these then.

Wanted to ask if I can use my IceTech XT brake set with normal disks.  But seems that the upgrade on disks sounds worth it.  And after reading a few things on the heavy riders (I am 91.3 kg's) I will have to get an 180 up front.  Would also explain why I had a brake problem a few weeks ago, and the hissing noise I heard as the rain and rivers hit the brakes, and why after a lot of struggling and sliding in the mud the brakes had problems.

I have weighed in excess of 100kg's in my time and always ridden with 160mm rotors, never felt that they were inadequate. Especially for road/trail riding. Now if someone was that weight AND doing some sort of downhill and more extreme stuff well then maybe ... I'm sure the Captain can comment on that  :devil:

Oom Ben, remember I am scared of going down hills.  So any hill is a monster and I get onto the brakes.  Will give the IceTech pads that I have on a go first and see how that works, but I have all the stuff for an 180 mm, so might well be an explorable avenue when I need to replace the rotors on my bike.

I have weighed in excess of 100kg's in my time and always ridden with 160mm rotors, never felt that they were inadequate. Especially for road/trail riding. Now if someone was that weight AND doing some sort of downhill and more extreme stuff well then maybe ... I'm sure the Captain can comment on that  :devil:

yeah, IMO 203mm is mandatory for buffels such as I

yeah, IMO 203mm is mandatory for buffels such as I that do jumps and downhills and crazy stuff 

there I fixed it for you ...

I was nt thinking of upgrading, but all this talk is making me think it might be time, my thing is I just got a set of "normal" disc rotors, have put them on my spare wheels... so are the still technically new (as they have never been kissed by a brake pad)?

I was nt thinking of upgrading, but all this talk is making me think it might be time, my thing is I just got a set of "normal" disc rotors, have put them on my spare wheels... so are the still technically new (as they have never been kissed by a brake pad)?

define normal, use details like 'brandname'.

Motivation for upgrade if you have not used them - planning on using your spare wheels more?

Good quality standard type (all metal, punched) rotors, are fine, and you won't experience  massive gain in changing over imo. If you have weight saving gators or windcutters, or lower quality brakes' OEM rotors - then yes, do it.

What brakes are you running? Sometimes its better to sell your brakes, and upgrade the brakeset first.

Better rotors won't make crappy brakes fantastic, and visa versa - better brakes won't make crappy rotors epic, but you'll experience more gains running better brakes on crappy rotors, than running el-cheapo brakes on icetec rotors.

define normal, use details like 'brandname'.

Motivation for upgrade if you have not used them - planning on using your spare wheels more?

Good quality standard type (all metal, punched) rotors, are fine, and you won't experience  massive gain in changing over imo. If you have weight saving gators or windcutters, or lower quality brakes' OEM rotors - then yes, do it.

What brakes are you running? Sometimes its better to sell your brakes, and upgrade the brakeset first.

Better rotors won't make crappy brakes fantastic, and visa versa - better brakes won't make crappy rotors epic, but you'll experience more gains running better brakes on crappy rotors, than running el-cheapo brakes on icetec rotors.

Eish, I will have to go check.. long and short, I have two sets of wheelsets, the one has got slicks on and the other knobbies.  So I got a set of SHIMANO SM-RT66 (160 & 180). Only using the slicks for road races.

The brakeset I have Shimano M395 hydraulic disc.

M395

Eish, I will have to go check.. long and short, I have two sets of wheelsets, the one has got slicks on and the other knobbies.  So I got a set of SHIMANO SM-RT66 (160 & 180). Only using the slicks for road races.

The brakeset I have Shimano M395 hydraulic disc.

M395 is Acera - which is at the very low end of Shimano's hydraulic disk brakes - nothing wrong with them, and they're up to par with Deore of a few years back; but they are pretty heavy, and offers entry level stopping power.

I would recommend to rather hang onto your rotors, and go for a set of SLX brakes if you can.  They're not massively expensive (secondhand is your best option, new these are fairly close to XT) and will give you brakes with better modulation (how light or heavy it bites), more power and and a better lever feel (if properly bled and set up).

M395

M395 is Acera - which is at the very low end of Shimano's hydraulic disk brakes - nothing wrong with them, and they're up to par with Deore of a few years back; but they are pretty heavy, and offers entry level stopping power.

I would recommend to rather hang onto your rotors, and go for a set of SLX brakes if you can.  They're not massively expensive (secondhand is your best option, new these are fairly close to XT) and will give you brakes with better modulation (how light or heavy it bites), more power and and a better lever feel (if properly bled and set up).

Sounds like a plan for that wheelset / bike 

What you gain in going icetec, you lose when you drop the size from 180 to160mm. And you have to spend more money to buy a new adapter. Smaller rotors has less braking power than bigger rotors, and gets hotter than larger diameter rotors - due to more friction (smaller surface area, have to be harder on the brakes), so they also wear quicker.

Yes you may be light, but you also have to look at what kind of riding you do, what brakes you have on your bike, what wheelsize do you ride, if you brake with a single digit or two fingers, or full hand, then do you ride on your brakes on downhills (are you a cautious rider?) or do you just brake when all other options run out?

Do you actually wear rotors out?  I have been riding for quite some time, and have actually never had to replace rotors due to wear.  Damage - yes, aesthetic reasons - yes, updating parts - yes, wear - no.

Icetec is super stuff and lekker bling - and if it was a case of your existing rotors are wasted, and you just wanted to replace with same size, I would say it was a no-brainer. Dropping a size, just to buy something at a discounted price, could come with a whole bunch of unwanted side effects - and leave you in exactly the same place you were before spending the money, or maybe off worse.

Thanks for this informative post nox.

Okay, I will definitely keep the sizes as they are right now. I was just curious about these rotors and like I said before, only wanted to get one/ a pair as spare for when my current rotors go, but will rather pass until the time is right.

Kind of riding I do is road (commuting), XCO (local TGMC trails).

I ride a 29er (more spesific a Scott Scale 940).

I brake with one finger.

I keep a moderate speed when going downhill (depends on the trail). If I know it, I tend to go faster with less braking. I would say I am cautious, I know my limits.

Nope, I don't think so. When I took my rear brake to bleed, the mechanic said my rotors is still in a good condition. But yeah, must agree with you on the aesthetic reason, I would do the same. My rotors are also not damaged (or bend).

I hear your point, thanks.

Perhaps I'm the only one to have a negative view of Ice-Techs and specifically the 203mm diameter version ( my 180 is absolutely perfect) these are on the front of my Stumpjumper. They're as noisy as hell when hot but without any loss in braking power and the noise continues even after I release the brake until the disc cools, this in a couple of seconds. I have replaced them with an Alligator 203mm ( at a third of the price) and the noise is gone without a difference in braking power. The Alligator is a solid disc as in single piece while the Ice-Tech is a two piece design. I am guessing that the 203mm version is prone to  bit of temporary warping when hot. I weigh 95kg and like the downhills so the braking tends to be quite harsh when it happens. However, my riding partner weighs in at 105kg doesn't like the downhills that much and he has the same problem that was also solved with an Alligator 203mm. I suspect that you'll be absolutely fine with a 180 though as I have had no issues with mine albeit at the back.

Archived