Daytime lights

Andreas_187

Hi,

Regarding rear lights, are there any products that are specifically designed to be more visible in daylight or are all flashing LED lights basically the same?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes ... Bontrager has a Super Awesome Rear Daylihht rear and Front light. The rear Is the Flare R ( http://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-flare-r-tail-light/p/13202/ ) and the front is the Ion 800 ( http://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-ion-800-r/p/14302/ )

Have a look at this great movie ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MAGO3JR5bBA

I wish more cyclist will use Daytime lights ...

Hope this helps

I recently got both bontrager lights mentioned above. They are pricey but absolutely fantastic. Rear light claims daytime visibility of 2km and i believe it.

It's certainly not cheap but cheaper than a visit to the hospital... I guess this is where we are at the moment regarding road safety

I bought the see.sense Icon + from CRC some time ago and now I won't ride on the road without it, day or night. 250 lumens, changes pattern and brightness according to your environment and speed, has a built in accident detector and has a warning function to your phone if your bike is touched whilst you are in a shop. Also expensive but quite incredible.

https://seesense.cc/collections/related-items/products/see-sense-icon-rear-light-1

I bought the Lezyne Zecto Drive set. 120/20  lumens front /rear. Rechargeable and I run the rear continuously on flashing mode while riding. The front I normally only use in heavy traffic especially where you have cars turning infront of you at intersections or on long descents where you tend to run high speeds.

post-13716-0-41240200-1486701049_thumb.png

On Tuesday I was driving up Suikerbossie. From the bottom I could see a rider just on the bend before the middle pedestrian crossing, about 750m away.  I passes 5 other cyclists before I passed him.

I saw him the whole way, the others popped up when I got closer.

Difference? He has a good flashing red LED light, the others not.

Definitely find the brightest daytime LED running light you can.

do lights actually help during the day or night ?... more and more cyclists are being hit from the back.

would it not be better to see what is coming from behind...garmin has a device which can make a sound just before you are hit from the back...surely if you dont have earphones in your ears you should be able to hear a truck or a car.

from my experience...i would rather see what is going on behind me...the worse part about the accident on the M4 was not the sound of the bicycle being crushed...or the thump of the bodies being hit and thrown in the air and landing on the floor...nor the sound of the water bottle flying past us...it was not knowing where the vehicle was...i wasnt sure if i should bail onto the pavement and hope the car missed us...3 things that morning saved a few more people from getting taken out.

Jared going for a pee before the ride

Richard slowing down to wait for him

the person who kept shouting..."keep your line... pedal as faster as you can...dont look back"

we laugh at the thought of putting mirrors on a road bike...would the mirror have caused me to panic and do something which could have caused the whole bunch to crash which would have resulted in more deaths that morning? ...i dont know.

i do however  believe having a means to see what is coming from behind could save your life...rather  than a device which makes a noise or flashes day or night. 

do lights actually help during the day or night ?... more and more cyclists are being hit from the back.

would it not be better to see what is coming from behind...garmin has a device which can make a sound just before you are hit from the back...surely if you dont have earphones in your ears you should be able to hear a truck or a car.

from my experience...i would rather see what is going on behind me...the worse part about the accident on the M4 was not the sound of the bicycle being crushed...or the thump of the bodies being hit and thrown in the air and landing on the floor...nor the sound of the water bottle flying past us...it was not knowing where the vehicle was...i wasnt sure if i should bail onto the pavement and hope the car missed us...3 things that morning saved a few more people from getting taken out.

Jared going for a pee before the ride

Richard slowing down to wait for him

the person who kept shouting..."keep your line... pedal as faster as you can...dont look back"

we laugh at the thought of putting mirrors on a road bike...would the mirror have caused me to panic and do something which could have caused the whole bunch to crash which would have resulted in more deaths that morning? ...i dont know.

i do however  believe having a means to see what is coming from behind could save your life...rather  than a device which makes a noise or flashes day or night. 

This is clearly a highly emotive aspect of this topic. No device on your bike will 100% save your life. Lights, hi-viz clothing etc fulfil a passive alert function ie you switch them on, or wear them, and they passively alert other road users (assuming these users are paying attention of course). The garmin device would presumably actively alert you to the presence of another road user. Thereafter you've got to use mirrors to garner more info on the situation behind you before deciding on an action.

As with most near-miss, incident, accident progressions, it's wise to intervene, be it via kit or action, at multiple levels to limit the full conversion of near-misses into accidents.

I do believe that daytime lights do help, but don't be fooled into buying any light and assuming it will do the job. I pass cyclists on my commute in the mornings and evenings, some of them have red flashing tail lights on their bikes or persons, but they are not visible from very far away which makes them ineffective...

The Bontrager lights really are visible from a distance, I went riding in the cradle a couple weeks back and I saw a team of guys riding with these lights, I saw them coming from at least 1 km away! and when they passed me I saw them for a VERY long time thereafter...The were using the Bontrager lights...

I have a set on my bike and can honestly say that cars don't turn in front of me as much and also pass with more space...will it save my life? I certainly hope so...

I think that a flashing rear LED device which is visible during the time of day you're riding, is a very effective way of making motorists notice you. This will go a long way towards preventing being rear-ended.

The situation where you have an inattentive, drunk or malicious driver is, however, not catered for by such a device.

Hey guys, Trek is dedicated to help cyclists be safer on the roads, we are currently running a cycling awareness (ABC's) campaign on how cyclists can be more visible to motorists where possible.

Research shows that cyclists drastically overestimate the distance at which they are detectable by motorists. Unless we’re actively doing something to increase our detect-ability, we may not be seen at all. And that’s an alarming reality. But there are simple steps we can all be taking to stand out.  This is a global campaign we are running, based on our research with Clemson University. 

Have a look below of some videos that we have put together for this campaign;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBRmzvzv4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5T2HbkcOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDfRQZ78dk

These lights as well as other high visibility kit can be found at any of our great retail partners - have a look for your closest one here; https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/store-finder/

Whilst these are not guaranteed absolutely to prevent an accident, they will certainly reduce the risks from driver distractions.

I have 2 rear lights that I run in the dark, both USB Chargeable, Reason for this is, in case the one dies as I do not charge them after every ride, but rather wait for them to discharge before recharging....

That being said, the 1 is a cheap BBB that has given me thus far a decent life span for the price, the second is a Blackburn Flea (I might have the model wrong), which work much better and lasts way longer than the BBB and blinding as hell... Also, the recharge time on the Blackburn is also superfast...

I ride with the Blackburn during the day on my commute home from work, for that little bit of extra visibility for motorists...

I currently have a SERFAS Thunderbolt first gen max 35 lumens and that's bright enough for guy's riding behind you to ask you to turn down your light but the run time is low.

This it my list of replacements for when mine gives up (can't put a price on alerting drivers):   

Lezyne Strip Drive PRO Rear Light

Day Time Flash: 150 lumens for 3:15h   $50.00

SURFAS Thunderbolt 2.0
Day Time Flash: 50 lumens for 19:30h   $35.00

SURFAS Scorpius 100

Day Time Flash: 100 lumens for 24:00h   $55.00

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/1122/referer:products|index|lights|tail-lights

SERFAS Spectra 150

Day Time Flash: 150 lumens for 25:00h  $60.00

https://www.serfas.com/products/view/1120/referer:products|index|lights|tail-lights

Edit: and they all fit aero seat posts.

Surely any kind of precaution is better than nothing at all?

Won't really help having a warning that something is behind you if the vehicle behind you doesn't know that you are there.

I think a combination of both would be good, although I would probably tense up every time something appeared on the radar. :blush:

Archived