Pls help urgently

Lizzard30

Save your money and just get a larger cassette. Compact really doesn't benefit you much. 53/39 and 11-28 is plenty gearing for most hills.

Off topic but out of interest have you ever ridden compact rings?

I have and if anyone is interested would be happy to share my experience, the benefits and downsides as I experienced them.

I find it strange that you say it doesn't benefit much because depending what you goals are that could be factually incorrect.

Edited by PJP2013

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No guys its just hard coming from a MTB..I know I must man up.. I'll take it on the chin. I just though it will make the cross over a bit easier. If you guys say with enough practise I will get use to it then I will do that..

What the problem is entered the argus and now bought this bike to improve my time but I am sure will not be able to even finish on the roadie because I'm not strong enough at the moment for it...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/233714-shimano-105-crankset-for-sale/

That will work and is in your budget and not too far away.

Mad brad that is exactly what the main post was about.. Wanted to know of that crank will work om my BC1.37*24 or not standard without buying adapters...

No guys its just hard coming from a MTB..I know I must man up.. I'll take it on the chin. I just though it will make the cross over a bit easier. If you guys say with enough practise I will get use to it then I will do that..

What the problem is entered the argus and now bought this bike to improve my time but I am sure will not be able to even finish on the roadie because I'm not strong enough at the moment for it...

maybe just this time you should stick some slicks on your mtb get past the CTCT then get back on your road bike

good luck you have a good attitude for road riding :thumbup:

I hear you.. But I'm not that strong...if I buy other cassette I must also change the dearuilure. Because that is a short mech..currently I'm at 12-28

Edited by Karman de Lange

I've bought a roadie on Saturday.. The ratio is 52-39 but I want to fit a compact ratio rather...there is one on the hub for R1400/which is bb30.. Mine only says BC1.37*24 . will this compact crank work or not...??

BC 1.37* 24 is an English tread BB  or  one and three eights inches diameter (about 34mm) by 24 threads per inch.   The left hand tread is anticlockwise .  The Continental thread is 36mm diameter , both clockwise. 

Off topic but out of interest have you ever ridden compact rings?

I have and if anyone is interested would be happy to share my experience, the benefits and downsides as I experienced them.

I find it strange that you say it doesn't benefit much because depending what you goals are that could be factually incorrect.

I have actually. I went from standard rings with 11-28, to compact with 11-25. I did this to both ease the climbing (I'm 110kg), and save some weight on the entire system.

All I found was myself losing contact with the group on climbs, as the slight difference in gearing made it easier, but I was now slower. Add to that the fact that I lost my top end gear, which, being a big boy, I can actually turn, it meant my advantage on the road was now lost. Lightweights kept up with me on descents and so was unable to shake them like I could in the past.

Went back to standard rings and 11-25, and have loved it. I actually have to work on the hills without dying, and I'm back to fast on the flats and downs.

I personally didn't find a compact setup advantageous, despite all of the claimed benefits.

Most people go compact because they don't use the 53/11, and they want easier climbing gears. I found it made you slower overall without any hope of pulling away when you needed to push power to the road.

If the OP is looking for an easier climbing gear, then a larger cassette will give him the climbing gear, without the major costs that he's looking at at the moment. That, and he does need to harden up. The gearing is much harder on road bikes, and you do have to change your climbing style and power/effort management to make the climbs.

I see you are in wellington, Phone marc at attitude cycles, and explain your problem. 

He will sort you out fast and cheap. 

I see you are in wellington, Phone marc at attitude cycles, and explain your problem. 

He will sort you out fast and cheap. 

+1 on Marc.

Real standup guy, and he won't lead you astray just to get a sale.

BTW, I'm on a compact with 11-28 cassette, and I do not get dropped on downhills or the flats. I'm not the strongest climber around (and rather archaic now  :blush: ) so I most of the time get dropped on the climbs, but I do get up all the major climbs around the WC, without having to turn myself inside out.

Edit: And you WILL be faster on a roadbike than a Mtb, no matter what crankset / cassette combo you use. It's just the nature of the beast.

Edited by Wannabe

Save your money and just get a larger cassette. Compact really doesn't benefit you much. 53/39 and 11-28 is plenty gearing for most hills.

Thanks alot.. Just spoke to him and he got the right crank setup for me for R2800... Double the prize of the second hand one but at least it will work I guess.. And new off course...

Depends how much Lizzard weighs. I'm 105kg at my lightest, so I prefer a compact crank. I ride 50-34 11-25 I dont lose much top end at all.

Edited by Starvin' Marvin

My wife is tiny, she uses a 50/36 compact and a 12/28 8speed casette. 

She gets up everywhere without walking

Maybe that's key... but seriously - I used compact and was worried about going to 53/39 - now with 11-28 I am considering 11-25 but my first 947 I had 50/34 with 11-25 and was on the limit. So I understand your concern.

Get the compact if you feel you need it - don't listen to anyone else. But be prepared to want more gears on the top end soon...