Pls help urgently

Lizzard30

+1 on Marc.

Real standup guy, and he won't lead you astray just to get a sale.

BTW, I'm on a compact with 11-28 cassette, and I do not get dropped on downhills or the flats. I'm not the strongest climber around (and rather archaic now  :blush: ) so I most of the time get dropped on the climbs, but I do get up all the major climbs around the WC, without having to turn myself inside out.

Edit: And you WILL be faster on a roadbike than a Mtb, no matter what crankset / cassette combo you use. It's just the nature of the beast.

FACT!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I weight in at 101kg..started riding 14months ago.. Coming from 130kg.. So plenty of learning to do..I just want to enjoy my new purchase.. But now I get wrecked within 30km. Just want to enjoy my bike and riding itself...

Mad brad that is exactly what the main post was about.. Wanted to know of that crank will work om my BC1.37*24 or not standard without buying adapters...

Regarding all the talk about gearing - a compact crank WILL be easier, but you WILL be slower up the hill. It sounds like you want the ealier+slower option and I don't blame you.

Take a pic of your current crank and we can tell you what you need.

With an English Thread Bottom Bracket Shell (the part of your bike that the BB actually fits into) there are 2 common bottom brackets - one is a Shimano type (Hollowtech II) BB, and a Sram type (GXP) BB. Then there are a whole host of other ones like an Octalink, Powerspline, Square Taper, MegaEXO, and a bunch of others. So if you want to replace just the crank, then you'll need a crank which matches your current BB.

Otherwise the alternative is to buy a crank and a BB which will match your crank to the BB shell.

Does that make sense?

I hear you.. But I'm not that strong...if I buy other cassette I must also change the dearuilure. Because that is a short mech..currently I'm at 12-28

Try it first - pretty sure it will be ok - I run 23/11 and 53/39 - no issue on the hills at all - road bikes roll a LOT easier than mtb's - and there is a big difference between 23 and 28 - try it first before you spend cash on something you may not need.

If you are running 12-28 already then no need for a new DR.

I weight in at 101kg..started riding 14months ago.. Coming from 130kg.. So plenty of learning to do..I just want to enjoy my new purchase.. But now I get wrecked within 30km. Just want to enjoy my bike and riding itself...

Time In The Saddle (T.I.T.S.) is all that is going to solve that problem. Ride your roadie as often as possible for the next few weeks, and you will see the improvements coming.

Have you gone for a proper setup on your Roadie? This also will influence your riding experience.

I have actually. I went from standard rings with 11-28, to compact with 11-25. I did this to both ease the climbing (I'm 110kg), and save some weight on the entire system.

All I found was myself losing contact with the group on climbs, as the slight difference in gearing made it easier, but I was now slower. Add to that the fact that I lost my top end gear, which, being a big boy, I can actually turn, it meant my advantage on the road was now lost. Lightweights kept up with me on descents and so was unable to shake them like I could in the past.

Went back to standard rings and 11-25, and have loved it. I actually have to work on the hills without dying, and I'm back to fast on the flats and downs.

I personally didn't find a compact setup advantageous, despite all of the claimed benefits.

Most people go compact because they don't use the 53/11, and they want easier climbing gears. I found it made you slower overall without any hope of pulling away when you needed to push power to the road.

If the OP is looking for an easier climbing gear, then a larger cassette will give him the climbing gear, without the major costs that he's looking at at the moment. That, and he does need to harden up. The gearing is much harder on road bikes, and you do have to change your climbing style and power/effort management to make the climbs.

Interesting.

Was forced onto compact 50/34 11-28 when I bought a new bike and the local agents did not have standard rings in stock at the time.

There was no problem making the transition, did not get dropped on Uphills, downhills or flats because of the gears. Only ever got dropped because I ran out of legs. On the fast flats just had to up my cadence on the rare occasion other riders used the 53 /11. Climbing was easier because you have more gears available and even when you completely cooked you could put it in 34 / 28 and spin your way to the top. Also on steeper gradients (12 deg + not such a big problem in Cape Town) you always had a comfortable gear. Was very happy riding compact and decided not to buy the standards rings as dis not see the need for them. Was very happy for thr first year I rode them.

Downside as I experienced is that compact take discipline to ride. It starts slowly you have one bad ride and use the granny, then another and then another. Pretty soon I found myself always using the granny on climbs and over time my climbing actually got worst. This was a discipline thing more than anything else. 

Eventually I went back to 53/39 (after 18 month of using compacts) to force myself to use a harder gear but in retrospect I should have just bought an 11-23 cluster and would have achieved the same effect. 

Am happy that I have the 6800 Ultegra because I still have the compact rings and use them when doing base training and on 200km plus rides. Can't explain it but just give a more comfortable ride and feel like I can ride for days.

So two riders, two completely different experiences. 

Edited by PJP2013

Even a longer cage derailer and 11-32 cassette will work out cheaper than rings. Otherwise, get stronger! Work on short hills and get bigger and longer. Giggity

and by the time this cassette is kaput you will be stronger and ready to refit that 12-28 cassette. :thumbup:

i was running compact with 11/25. never any issues, and run out of legs before gears. Also not that I never was or will be in the a bunch. 

Sold my road bike and are now trying to keep up with my MTB. 

Just to clarify.... is it a 52/39 (unusual combo) or a 53/39 (standard crank - 130 BCD) or a 52/36 (compact pro - 110 BCD, can just change chainrings to 50/34)

Hi

The juniors ride a 52/39 .. gear restrictions ... once they over 18 there is no more restrictions and they can fit a 53 and any cluster as well.

My 19 year old still prefers his 52 .. but has moved to a 11/25 ... from a 14/25 (Under 19)

Edited by Slow_one

Think the OP solved his own problem on post 3..... we now on page 3 :eek:

Have we started giving him financial and marriage advise yet?

I know him. He's stubborn and scared of his missus

Think the OP solved his own problem on post 3..... we now on page 3  :eek:

Have we started giving him financial and marriage advise yet?

we had to keep it going till you arrived oh great one ;)