Tubeless: Hopeless at this point

BaGearA

Is the beading in the tire "wire beaded", if it is, did it not get bent and now allowing air out and not a proper seal. Normally happens when popping the tire on

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the beading in the tire "wire beaded", if it is, did it not get bent and now allowing air out and not a proper seal. Normally happens when popping the tire on

folding and pops on perfectly , when under water there were no bubbles from the bead at all.

6.5mm should be fine for Presta. I've never measured the inside hole.

inside hole :8mm

Outside hole: 6.5mm

Is this different from usual?

Are these rims 30mm internal or external width?

internal , 35 external.

Ended up hot gluing the valve into the rim and seems to be holding. Will report back tomorrow morning

Will search for quality 30mm proper tubeless tape and redo everything and see what happens then

It's a dual-wall rim. My guess is that air is getting past the outer skin and into the "inner chamber" of the rim and then leaking out at the valve (spoke holes will have sealed by now as the gap is tiny).

I once had a similar scenario on a Crest rim that had a longitudinal hair crack.  I'd suggest looking for some very fine faults in the rim, probably where the two "walls" join, maybe even in the bead seat area.

Good luck.

I have a rock razor on giant rims with gorilla tape and its held up perfectly well and was my second attempt at tubeless.

If all else fails, get a new rim or run a tube.

internal , 35 external.

Ended up hot gluing the valve into the rim and seems to be holding. Will report back tomorrow morning

Will search for quality 30mm proper tubeless tape and redo everything and see what happens then

Didn't expect to see that as a potential solution.  :blink:

internal , 35 external.

To me that points to some problem in the rubber seal of the valve.

not all tubeless valves are the same  :P

The best ones I found have a round shape

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/library/cache/product_expanded_image/library/product/brass-tubeless-valve/Tubeless-valves.jpg

The not so great ones have this shape .

specialized-tubeless-valve-stem-na-EV163

As you have tried various valves and now holding with hot glue you may have an odd shaped hole. A slight crack, over tightening? or a burr. Perhaps check under a bright light with a magnifying glass?

I can only imagine your frustration. When I was up for new wheels I went for Mavic 819's as that's a tubeless rim. Best upgrade to my bike if I'm honest.

3 different valves used all with different profiles 

The one in there now has a tick round base that tapers up until just before the valve comes out of the rim.

I cut A tiny x in the tape and carefully push it through

I make a tiny round hole with a small nail - smaller than the valve .. then i pres the valve through the small hole, and the valve adjusts the hole size ...

The "x" cut could cause leakage ...