Is this what happens when you start cycling???

Dullscalpel

This Velominati rule applies to your question and you must remind your wife of it constantly: 

Rule #12//The correct number of bikes to own is n + 1

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a newb (as most of you already know) and since buying my first bike and doing some cycling, I have noticed a marked change in my behaviour.

For one, I ALWAYS check out people's bikes when they ride past. It's so interesting to see the different types of bikes and how they have been kitted out. When driving past cycling shops, I drool over the new bikes that are on sale. And I am already thinking of my next bike!!! I absolutely love my bike (named her and everything) but I day dream about what my next bike will be and what specs I should get. I have only had my bike for 3 months :blush: I am waiting for the day that I win the lottery so that I can buy ALL the bikes my little heart desires  :wub:

Does this happen when you start cycling??? And does this feeling go away?

There is another thing that will happen to you. You WILL start lying to your wife/partner about the ''funds'' that you ACTUALLY spend on your sport or is it addiction  :clap:

This Velominati rule applies to your question and you must remind your wife of it constantly:

Rule #12//The correct number of bikes to own is n + 1

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner

Uhm, Gerhard'

She IS the wife ????

That looks more like a Nightmare Room, so many bike parts, no bikes ready to ride.... yuk.

Torture room...

I am a newb (as most of you already know) and since buying my first bike and doing some cycling, I have noticed a marked change in my behaviour.

For one, I ALWAYS check out people's bikes when they ride past. It's so interesting to see the different types of bikes and how they have been kitted out. When driving past cycling shops, I drool over the new bikes that are on sale. And I am already thinking of my next bike!!! I absolutely love my bike (named her and everything) but I day dream about what my next bike will be and what specs I should get. I have only had my bike for 3 months :blush: I am waiting for the day that I win the lottery so that I can buy ALL the bikes my little heart desires :wub:

Does this happen when you start cycling??? And does this feeling go away?

Totally normal and understandable behaviour. Never goes away!!

Word of advice - if you can afford to, don't get rid of your current bike for at least a year after getting the new one.

So often we hear "should never have sold my old bike" - this after upgrading to the very latest model, thinking that the latest will be better than what we presently have.

Happened to me as well; tried getting the old bike back - but no luck. Was fortunate enough to get hold of the same model many years later - but the feeling is not quite the same :(

Another instance of n+1 i suppose :D

Word of advice - if you can afford to, don't get rid of your current bike for at least a year after getting the new one.

So often we hear "should never have sold my old bike" - this after upgrading to the very latest model, thinking that the latest will be better than what we presently have.

Happened to me as well; tried getting the old bike back - but no luck. Was fortunate enough to get hold of the same model many years later - but the feeling is not quite the same :(

Another instance of n+1 i suppose :D

I still have the first (and only) mtb I bought brand new from the bike store - a 1997 GT. Although truth be told, I think the frame is the only original part left.

I still have the first (and only) mtb I bought brand new from the bike store - a 1997 GT. Although truth be told, I think the frame is the only original part left.

Just don't sell it "as new" please :P

My best story on this addiction took place on the East Rand a couple years back, names will be withheld.

A certain gentleman was told in no uncertain terms that his last bikes would be his last, otherwise he would be buying his first wife a diamond of the same value.

Lone and behold what does the manufacture do, they bring out the new model, as he has the addiction what is he to do.

He promptly consults the local bike shop owner for (wisdom), after agreeing the set price for the new model, the credit card is handed over. He is then advised to return the following day at 10am.

Once the morning ride on old bike is completed, the addicted advises his first wife “he needs to go to the bike shop” to grab a couple things.

To ensure he is towing the line, she promptly agrees to accompany the addicted to LBS.

On arrival at the bike, there a 10 other addicts present, and they are all hanging around. The addicted buys a couple tubes, upon paying for these goods he is asked if he would like to acquire a raffle ticket for the new S-Works for R100.

As luck would have it, it’s his favourite colour and size and the raffle is taking place promptly at 10am.

The lucky draw starts, set of gloves is won, then a LBS riding shirt. Then onto tubes and tyres

Now it’s time for the grand prize.

As pure luck would have it, the addicts ticket is pull out the hat. The first wife is screaming and crying as she cannot believe the addicts good fortune.

New S-works loaded into car and off home they go. The other 10 addicts hand back their winnings and Sundays ride is agreed.

Same here. I've still got the bike I purchased in my first year of work after studies, some 27 years back. Actually think its the only thing I still own from that first year of work :rolleyes:  

Frame, fork and crankarms the only original parts still on it. All other components changed/upgraded over the years.

Did a complete rebuild 2 years back, on its 25th anniversary - only a Sunday Cruiser these days - but what a ride.

My best story on this addiction took place on the East Rand a couple years back, names will be withheld.

A certain gentleman was told in no uncertain terms that his last bikes would be his last, otherwise he would be buying his first wife a diamond of the same value.

Lone and behold what does the manufacture do, they bring out the new model, as he has the addiction what is he to do.

He promptly consults the local bike shop owner for (wisdom), after agreeing the set price for the new model, the credit card is handed over. He is then advised to return the following day at 10am.

Once the morning ride on old bike is completed, the addicted advises his first wife “he needs to go to the bike shop” to grab a couple things.

To ensure he is towing the line, she promptly agrees to accompany the addicted to LBS.

On arrival at the bike, there a 10 other addicts present, and they are all hanging around. The addicted buys a couple tubes, upon paying for these goods he is asked if he would like to acquire a raffle ticket for the new S-Works for R100.

As luck would have it, it’s his favourite colour and size and the raffle is taking place promptly at 10am.

The lucky draw starts, set of gloves is won, then a LBS riding shirt. Then onto tubes and tyres

Now it’s time for the grand prize.

As pure luck would have it, the addicts ticket is pull out the hat. The first wife is screaming and crying as she cannot believe the addicts good fortune.

New S-works loaded into car and off home they go. The other 10 addicts hand back their winnings and Sundays ride is agreed.

I friggen love you!!

My Colnago cost me a trip to Italy to make the wife happy (it was the Giro, granted, but it was still expensive to take her with)

The Sworks cost a trip to Mauritius! Even though 2 other bikes had gone sold too.

I need to try this!!!

There are rumors of a chap who keeps his collection at his LBS here and only "owns" one bike, he rides this bike down to the shop, where he then selects his steed for the days riding ????????????

Edited by Patchelicious