[Event] Piket-Bo-Berg Cycle Challenge & Trail Run

Delanie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape epic currently costs about R5300 per day.

Considering you have a massive event, a lot op jeep track

Yes it is shorter, but a lot more singletrack that is privately built, owned and maintained.

Gourmet catering from the friday night to sunday lunch.

A lot of single track.

Limited to 200 riders

No getting stuck in single track thats only open twice a year.

Awesome vibe where its not only about the pros

It is a gazillion times better than W2W and no one moans about the cost there....

The food is awesome, the setting is fantastic... Free beer AND more than 1 bottle of water per rider.

The U is hands down one of the best cycling events on the calendar. The 1 day event is just a teaser... all the best stuff was kept aside for The U

I took some pics...

Some serious photography there!!

I tried looking up at the valley from the side of the mountain once, nearly came off my bike and decided to best keep my eyes in front of me.

Thanks for the pics to see what I missed  :whistling:

Feedback on 37km. 

It was my 1st Piket-Bo-Berg Challenge, God willing, I will enter every year.

Lets start with some of the things for the organizers to think about during the race. The start loop before the 1st ST was too short, maybe consider a longer/tougher 1st few kms to spread the field out and allow faster riders to get to the front. 

What went well -

1. BRILLIANT registration process fastest I have ever been through registration.
  2. Water points fantastic - think it was the 2nd water point with the cocktail boerewors rolls...was my favorite stop, I was hungry and make a pig of myself. Add to that the friendly service, made me forget that I was suffering.
  3. The trails, I only have 1 question. Can we visit the trails outside of the race? Breathtaking, is the only way to describe the views. I would love to spend a day crawling through the trails taking pictures.

Basically this event was a great success IMO, long may it continue.

I was thinking about this exact thing last night.

If the 63km group had a 45min earlier start would that not be enough to create some space between the 2 groups?

My only concern with this idea is the possibility of the 63km and 37km front runners crossing paths towards the finish

Cape epic currently costs about R5300 per day.

I wouldn't say most expensive race in the country is the ultimate standard when you want to measure value for money....  :ph34r:

R5K per person is more than a whole lot of 3 day races I can think of, but I guess this would appeal to a certain demographic, each to their own and all that..

Edited by Skubarra

at R10 000 per team for two short days of riding, I think they're taking the piss a bit with the U.

Its on a par with the Kalahari Challenge which was 12 750 for three days this year.

The costs and logistics on the Kalchal are a lot higher though and probably the more desirable event

logistics, vs trail building and maintenance .

Like its said, you dont hear complaints from the guys that did it . Most of them are back this year and more.

Somethings don't make sense on paper but once you have done the event it will make sense.

I would like to do The U but R6000 is a big stretch. I would gladly forgo the catering etc. and even pitch my own tent it means I get a cheaper entry and need to make my own food. There is definitely scope for "cheaper" and more low-key stage races in South Africa...

I would like to do The U but R6000 is a big stretch. I would gladly forgo the catering etc. and even pitch my own tent it means I get a cheaper entry and need to make my own food. There is definitely scope for "cheaper" and more low-key stage races in South Africa...

Eselfontein stage race is alles wat jy wil hê.

logistics, vs trail building and maintenance .

Like its said, you dont hear complaints from the guys that did it . Most of them are back this year and more.

Somethings don't make sense on paper but once you have done the event it will make sense.

Add the fact that you get to hang out with the legendary 'diemuishond' in the flesh and it all starts making sense....

For me it is the raddest short stage (2 or 3 days) MTB race on the calendar.

The trails also really beat you up, so don't be fooled by the relatively short days. Short in KM but not short on ride time.

If you aren't convinced, ask a Pro who has ridden all over the world for 35 years. The crazy Swiss master Nico Pfitzenmaier recons these trails and this event is probably 'the best he has ever done'...his words. It can't be too rubbish (Disclaimer: SA folks way prefer validation from 'famous' or relevant 'professionals' over their peers... It's weird) 

Ezelfontein is amazing too.. like really amazing but like PhilipV says, a very different, more rustic BYO experience... 

Edited by Jewbacca

As in business so it is in the personal space....it all boils down to affordability.

I would love to do the U too....but financially just not on. So am doing the Eselfontein event. And that is amazing too.

What event hosts should remember, without wanting to dilute their offering, their market is diverse. Of course you can't cater to all....but considering various packages is not a difficult thing. As mentioned above by a hubber...why not offer "just" entry (plus cost for some amenities) and leave accommo and food etc to entrant?

Anyway, it's a choice for all. But will start saving up for next year's U. And try find a partner, which is a whole discussion on its own....