DVT, Blood clots and riding

Anyone here had any experience with DVT, blood clots (Pulmonary Embolism) and riding?

I've just had my second episode (1st was 3 years ago). Looks like I might be on medication more long term now as I am obviously predisposed to blood clots. Am on rivaroxaban currently.

I'm signed up for the Haute Route Pyrenees and Alps in 6 months time. This is a bit of a problem as the drugs make me feel a bit spaced out and I need to do a MOUNTAIN of training before now and then. Been told to stay off the bike for 4 weeks.

Plan is it take it really slowly though, I'm not going to be as fit as I planned but I hope I can still do it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!!

Me:- 2 heart attacks, 2 angiogram surgeries, (the 2nd to possibley implant stents), open heart surgery (bypass), 2 years of hell.

Don't do it.

Sort out the river of your life..NOW. The Docs are amazing!!!!

There are options.. You will be pedalling in your future.

Alive on a Bike....is always FUN!!!

Had PE a year ago. Was on xeralto for six months. Lumgs took a bit of strain but for the rest all fine, did Panorama 2 months in. Nb tho to follow dr orders.

Scott - I'm pretty determined to do it, though I'll be taking a very slow buildup. Did the Epic a year after my first one and that went fine. I have a lot less time this time but I think it will be OK. Lucky for me heart is in pretty good shape still.

Tjokkits - yes Xarelto is is what I am on (trade name for rivaroxaban). It does make me feel a little light headed sometimes. How was your training leading up to the event?

I thought I had put this behind me so I'd advise being careful about long distance flights etc. I didn't really have any risk factors but now it's clear I am susceptible.

I had a DVT (groin) and bilateral PE.

Was on Warfarin for 18months and now still use Clexane whenever I fly with compression socks whenever I see the need (long rides, long drives, all flights)..

I was off the bike (and everything else too) for about 3 months as I needed the clots to clear. Had multiple CT scans in that time. I started riding little bit before that time was over. I didn't follow doctors orders regarding "don't ride" at all. The rest I did, but I don't know if it was for you guys like that too but I had to go for blood tests (INR) ever 2nd or 3rd day for that whole 1.5years.

Flip scary how many of you are talking about 2nd or so case...why did yours come back? Long (non protected flights) or what?

Hayley - on Xarelto there is no need to go for blood tests - it's a new generation of blood thinners that does not require testing. Unlike warfarin though - there is no antidote so it's harder to stop bleeding.

I've been told no riding for 4 weeks. I actually feel OK, mine have all been fairly minor. but yes - it is scary that it's the second one. I was taking no precautions like you were (clexane etc) and this second case came from flying between Aussie and South Africa last week.

Were you injecting yourself with clexane? It tickled a bit when the gave it to me in the hospital!

Yip self injecting. It takes one only once too be left stranded at the boarding gate with no one to do it for you and knowing that you literally playing with your life if you don't do it to make you go into the bathroom and get it done. I've done it now enough to not even get sweaty palms anymore.

Easy peasy and life saving. Travelling to the USA in 4 weeks so now I have to somehow get my hands on Clexane, it will be my 1st time having to mention this side (nz) that I have the clotting disorder.

Had one in my left ankle which spread all the way up to my thigh. Warfarin for a year and lifelong use of compression sock. Had to stay off the bike for a few months but was told to swim and walk. Now cycling no problem, listen to the doc, not worth taking a chance.

like the people above, I had a DVT in left leg, was on Clexane for a couple months then moved on to warfarin for almost a year, warfarin was terrible. I did not feel normal on that (even had internal bleeding from it). had my INR tested once a week during this period. I still have to wear compression sock cause leg swells. I take Aspirin cardio every day now. Like Moriaty says,  listen to the doc, not worth taking a chance 

Hey SM,

I don't know anything about "medical" problems, but I always think it is best to follow your doctors advice. Let him decide what you should or should not do.

Sarge

Anyone here had any experience with DVT, blood clots (Pulmonary Embolism) and riding?

I've just had my second episode (1st was 3 years ago). Looks like I might be on medication more long term now as I am obviously predisposed to blood clots. Am on rivaroxaban currently.

I'm signed up for the Haute Route Pyrenees and Alps in 6 months time. This is a bit of a problem as the drugs make me feel a bit spaced out and I need to do a MOUNTAIN of training before now and then. Been told to stay off the bike for 4 weeks.

Plan is it take it really slowly though, I'm not going to be as fit as I planned but I hope I can still do it.

Medically - you have probably been advised to NOT consider the Haute Route event already by your doctors - and my opinion is the same - put it on hold for a year at least and focus on recovery.

My second opinion is that you should discuss your participation in events like Epic and HR with your family AND the event organizers medical staff - while you are being treated with anti-coagulants, you SIGNIFICANTLY complicate emergency medical care in the event of an accident - if I was HR medical director (and I am not) I would not consider your participation medically advisable at all - and in all likelihood just bar you on medical grounds. I also have no idea what effect your participation would have on the organizers insurance cover - but it won't be good, and your travel insurance is going to say it's a pre-existing condition and likely not cover you - the financial implications of getting you home for long term treatment after an incident will be significant.

Also - your family should have a say - they are going to be involved in sorting out the mess and your long term care if you have an incident with long term side effects.... a small clot in the brain can do a lot of damage, and we may not be able to recover from that.

Try and be sensible.... follow your doctors orders exactly.... play open cards with your family, the event organizers and your medical team.

Good luck with recovery - hope it goes well.

HA - Am I going to have to airfreight you Clexane? you know that won't be easy....

Thanks for all the responses - seems I am not alone! 

Just to make it clear - I am not intending to just completely disregard my Doc's advice. I've been told I can exercise in 4 weeks from now. At that point I plan on some very light cycling for a month. Then see how I am going and perhaps step it up a notch.

Dr's are naturally conservative (which I totally agree with), they are looking at the big picture. I am willing to accept some small amount of risk. I have not yet been advised to not consider the HR, I think the idea is we see what my recovery looks like first.

I would never hide my condition from the organizers. For the HR all you require is a medical certificate signed by a Dr. I would certainly go beyond that and inform the medical director that I was on anti coagulant medication. For the Epic I was off the medication when I rode.

As far as travel insurance goes - I have investigated this and it is possible to declare DVT/PE as a pre-existing condition and get insurance. Will cost around $600 extra on top of regular travel insurance premium. Expensive but not catastrophic.

while I am talking about money - I will be open about the fact that in part my determination to continue is in part due to me already spending around $10k on this trip....I know this should perhaps not sway me but c'est la vie.

What I am really interested in this thread is hearing about peoples experience riding while on anti coagulant medicine, their recovery times etc.

Had a DVT from flying - was on Warfarin and Clexane - no repeats but i am very careful.

Maybe you need to look at what you are doing as you clearly have risk factors.

Any cycling trophy is useless if you re dead.

Thanks for all the responses - seems I am not alone! 

Just to make it clear - I am not intending to just completely disregard my Doc's advice. I've been told I can exercise in 4 weeks from now. At that point I plan on some very light cycling for a month. Then see how I am going and perhaps step it up a notch.

Dr's are naturally conservative (which I totally agree with), they are looking at the big picture. I am willing to accept some small amount of risk. I have not yet been advised to not consider the HR, I think the idea is we see what my recovery looks like first.

I would never hide my condition from the organizers. For the HR all you require is a medical certificate signed by a Dr. I would certainly go beyond that and inform the medical director that I was on anti coagulant medication. For the Epic I was off the medication when I rode.

As far as travel insurance goes - I have investigated this and it is possible to declare DVT/PE as a pre-existing condition and get insurance. Will cost around $600 extra on top of regular travel insurance premium. Expensive but not catastrophic.

while I am talking about money - I will be open about the fact that in part my determination to continue is in part due to me already spending around $10k on this trip....I know this should perhaps not sway me but c'est la vie.

What I am really interested in this thread is hearing about peoples experience riding while on anti coagulant medicine, their recovery times etc.

I'm not even a dr but I think you should NOT do this event. hell, I'd say take the year off! Nothing is worth your health!

Perhaps I should also have said that I'm not interested in opinions about whether I should compete or not :)

I'm a big boy, I can make my own mind up.