[Event] The Fair Cape Dairies Philadelphia MTB

Annemart

According to my phone's Strava log, total climb was 1033m, total distance 73.4km (didn't cut corners).

Thanks☺

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My garmin 500 recorded a 1220, which is surprising that it is so close to the reported amount as I never get close. On strava I see reported between 1000m up to 1200m

The 13km one was about 220m ascent

Thanks☺

Just asking as that one climb that was divided into 3 parts with the water point at the top. Felt as ifwe were climbing into the heavens

Thanks☺

Just asking as that one climb that was divided into 3 parts with the water point at the top. Felt as ifwe were climbing into the heavens

Did you do the 13km ?

from what age do you think a child do this ? Obviously our 5 year needs some more miles and a few more hills ....  Saturday I was pushing his bike up the steep sections at Meerendal :)

Did you do the 13km ?

from what age do you think a child do this ? Obviously our 5 year needs some more miles and a few more hills ....  Saturday I was pushing his bike up the steep sections at Meerendal :)

Chris  seems below 10 years old official race distances are below 10km and I've noticed with my 8 year old at 10km shes had enough. I've also been warned against pushing the boundaries too much so I do technical stuff with her and she started with the WP xco series this past Sat.

Thanks for all the feedback people.  Please remember that we try to make it the best MTB event on the calendar.  All the comments(negative and positive) are taken into account to try and make it better every year.  It is however not possible to satisfy everyone. 

Chris  seems below 10 years old official race distances are below 10km and I've noticed with my 8 year old at 10km shes had enough. I've also been warned against pushing the boundaries too much so I do technical stuff with her and she started with the WP xco series this past Sat.

Thank you.  

That is why we like the Hazendal en Meerendal trails so much.

At almost 6 years old Maritz cycles a few minutes, then wants to do something else ....  We now take a P&S camera along, he stops mid stride and takes a pic of anything from a snail in the trail to a flower or the landscape ....

back to the restaurant where we have something to drink ...

and then he wants another short ride ....

HE rides in front and determines the pace.  The key word being FUN

[quote name="FCH" post="3100932" timestamp="1491135602"

.... you want to pass.... get past on your own.

This attitude is what I don't like about fun rides.

If someone is better at you on that section than you let them past. Especially if he is gunning for a podium in a shorter race and you are hoping to finish 119th.

It was a revelation doing the XCO this weekend. People where overtaken and being overtaken alot but there was always grace, pulling to the left while still going forward and always a thanks or a quick chat. I was overtaken on a climb, but when I caught the guy on the last dh section into the finish area he apologized for keeping me up. I didn't mind, he was in a different category so we had a little chat while rolling out the last bits towards the finish line. And this was real racing for WP colours.

Edited by PhilipV

you want to pass.... get past on your own.

It is just good manners to ask if you hear someone behind you if they would like to pass and then help them to do so when it is safe for both of you. I start in A and I know there are faster riders in groups behind me. When I hear someone behind me I always ask if they would like to pass. When I catch up to slower riders they often ask me if I would like to pass and my answer is always "yes, when it is safe for you to make way". 

Not sure racetec will fix. The fine breede results was and still is a mess.

Fair enough - I popped racetec a mail notifying them of the mistake. Maybe if a few more of us do the same in addition to our rants on thehub we will see the error being fixed before the next seeding run   ^_^

Thanks for all the feedback people. Please remember that we try to make it the best MTB event on the calendar. All the comments(negative and positive) are taken into account to try and make it better every year. It is however not possible to satisfy everyone.

I forgot to mention that it was still an enjoyable ride. My sense of humour might have waned at around 60km but thats on me. I will definately enter again next year and so will the rest of the guys that were sitting at our table. Your efforts are appreciated.

Fair enough - I popped racetec a mail notifying them of the mistake. Maybe if a few more of us do the same in addition to our rants on thehub we will see the error being fixed before the next seeding run   ^_^

And the results are fixed... That was pretty quick  :thumbup:

My 1ste MTB event. Did the 39km. Racetec got my time as 10:54.

Started in MH.What time did we start?

Want to cycle more events. How difficult is this race comp to the 99ers 40km on the 22nd?

Think you chaps obviously ignored the rest of sentence; the issue is not making space for a guy. The issue is dont shout at other riders to get out of their way, when 1: its single track on which they are moving at a pretty good clip

2: racing in another way shorted distance and feeling frisky is all good; but dont shout at me from 20 m away to pull up and deadstop, if you want to mix 30 km racing snakes with marathon distance riders, then accept the above.

3: the specific situation we were 7 riders moving at the same pace, were everyone suppose to stop and pull over every 15 m for these guys to come past. Nope

It is just good manners to ask if you hear someone behind you if they would like to pass and then help them to do so when it is safe for both of you. I start in A and I know there are faster riders in groups behind me. When I hear someone behind me I always ask if they would like to pass. When I catch up to slower riders they often ask me if I would like to pass and my answer is always "yes, when it is safe for you to make way".