[Event] The Fair Cape Dairies Philadelphia MTB

Annemart

My 1ste MTB event. Did the 39km. Racetec got my time as 10:54. Started in MH.What time did we start? Want to cycle more events. How difficult is this race comp to the 99ers 40km on the 22nd?

99er 45km climbs 1275m. Philadelphia over the 39km only climbed 667m. The 99er has more singletrack and less sand though but the climbing over a similar distance is a big step up from Philly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing that we are doing selective qouting; would you mind showing us "fun riders" the left hand side of "sandy single track"

This attitude is what I don't like about fun rides.

If someone is better at you on that section than you let them past. Especially if he is gunning for a podium in a shorter race and you are hoping to finish 119th.

It was a revelation doing the XCO this weekend. People where overtaken and being overtaken alot but there was always grace, pulling to the left while still going forward and always a thanks or a quick chat. I was overtaken on a climb, but when I caught the guy on the last dh section into the finish area he apologized for keeping me up. I didn't mind, he was in a different category so we had a little chat while rolling out the last bits towards the finish line. And this was real racing for WP colours.

Also philly was actually 33. The 45 at 99er will be a good deal tougher and trchnically more challenging.

99er 45km climbs 1275m. Philadelphia over the 39km only climbed 667m. The 99er has more singletrack and less sand though but the climbing over a similar distance is a big step up from Philly.

Thanks for letting me know. Will train the best i can the next 2weeks. Maybe do the 25km then and not the 45km

Would like to do the climb to the top of the big hill at philly on a clear sunny day

Thanks for letting me know. Will train the best i can the next 2weeks. Maybe do the 25km then and not the 45kmWould like to do the climb to the top of the big hill at philly on a clear sunny day

The 99er climbing for the 45km is far more consistent than that very steep hill except for the Contermans mast section of about 200m that most people will push. There is a lot more climbing with a lot less flat sections but it is not all terribly steep. There is also much more single track so if you enjoy that it will be right up your alley. But if it is hot day and you are not that fit it will be a challenge.

Seeing that we are doing selective qouting; would you mind showing us "fun riders" the left hand side of "sandy single track"

Not being there I was actually commenting on the prevailing attitude. It's everywhere from Phillys sandy singletrack to wine2whales.

But if you are holding up someone trying to win another race, then you pull over, you can set off again, you won't die. Don't be the reason that the gap that youngster/lady worked hard to build was whittled down while you were ambling along in front of him/her.

I've seen an uncle in grabouw screaming at the leading lady that she has to wait for him in singletrack as he was there first. And she asked him nicely.

It's like the people pushing up Hills in the riding line and not giving way to the guys still riding. It stinks.

Okay, rant over.

Ps: the flipside is that the onus is on the rider catching up to ask nicely. Don't demand Track, just be nice.

Edited by PhilipV

Oh, and by the way, when I do PPA or local kerk bazaar races then I am by virtue also a fun rider. So if you want to take offense at being called that then it's up to you.

But you get lekker people at fun rides too.

Edited by PhilipV

the ps part is exactly what we were all talking about right from the beginning till it became a "prevailing attitude" comment. 

Not being there I was actually commenting on the prevailing attitude. It's everywhere from Phillys sandy singletrack to wine2whales.

But if you are holding up someone trying to win another race, then you pull over, you can set off again, you won't die. Don't be the reason that the gap that youngster/lady worked hard to build was whittled down while you were ambling along in front of him/her.

I've seen an uncle in grabouw screaming at the leading lady that she has to wait for him in singletrack as he was there first. And she asked him nicely.

It's like the people pushing up Hills in the riding line and not giving way to the guys still riding. It stinks.

Okay, rant over.

Ps: the flipside is that the onus is on the rider catching up to ask nicely. Don't demand Track, just be nice.

The short route at the Tulbagh Nissan Trailseeker has a similar amount of climbing to Philly while being a bit longer and probably a bit more technical - the week after 99er if you looking for a longer ride.

Thanks for letting me know. Will train the best i can the next 2weeks. Maybe do the 25km then and not the 45km Would like to do the climb to the top of the big hill at philly on a clear sunny day

Edited by Mamil

What climb was not ride able?

The second big hill of the 73km which was sort of made up of 3 sections. I did not see one person riding up the first climb. Then the last of the 3, approaching the waterpoint at the top of the hill, didn't see anyone riding it to the top either. But hey, i was riding in ME, maybe it was a different story higher up.

What climb was not ride able?

The climb up Rondebossieberg near Spes Bona was unridable in some parts (for most I assume). But it really was 2 x short walks, can't say I was too bothered. I enjoyed the views

The second big hill of the 73km which was sort of made up of 3 sections. I did not see one person riding up the first climb. Then the last of the 3, approaching the waterpoint at the top of the hill, didn't see anyone riding it to the top either. But hey, i was riding in ME, maybe it was a different story higher up.

From the sounds even the racing guys upfront could not finish all 3 on their bikes

the ps part is exactly what we were all talking about right from the beginning till it became a "prevailing attitude" comment.

So it is now okay to have an attitude of "screw them" because "they've been rude from the beginning"??

Then you are no better than the rude person. You need to be the change you want to see in the world.

thanks for the lecture; as you were.

So it is now okay to have an attitude of "screw them" because "they've been rude from the beginning"??
Then you are no better than the rude person. You need to be the change you want to see in the world.