Tire Inserts

MrJacques

I would only try those green vittoria tyre inserts. Not only do they protect the rim/tyre but can get you home as a run flat option.

Had foamo which worked fine. Trying heavier casings for now. If I hulksmash a rim too soon to my liking I'll go back to inserts.

Just run proper pressures please, Senor Trollosaurus... 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just run proper pressures please, Senor Trollosaurus...

Never thought I'd say this:

"Luister vir Myles, Myles is reg."

I had a homemade HackNorris (some building foam I got from Builders) insert in the back wheel of my hardtail. It worked well to get a flimsy tyre that stubbornly refused to seal on a Giant rim to seal. It also stopped a few dings from spoiling my day. A slashed sidewall on a rock did however spoil my day once. So I'm running thick sidewalls (maxxis EXO) now.

I have a csixx foamo in the workshop, or has seen use on the back wheel for Ezelduro and Klipberg, but it makes the back feel noticeably heavier and it seems I don't need it for my local rides, so it hasn't been on a bike this year.

I also found a foamo in the front wheel messed with how the bike felt at speed. The front seemed to want to track in straight lines. Like an exaggerated gyroscopic effect.

I run nothing but tires and sealant and try to be light on the pedals. 

But I won't say I ride like a girl, that's sexist and unkind to girls. I ride with caution..... 

Also used a FOAMO for a while, the only effect it had was to make the wheel feel noticeably heavier, and sealant to not work effectively to be honest - I removed it after a few rides.

This weekend I couldn't get a 2.8" tyre to seat on a 45mm internal width rim though, even after using a Schwalbe tyre booster, bombs, track pump, etc etc, so I conceded and put the FOAMO in again just to get the tyre to seat. So I am currently using one, but that'll just be until I take my bike to the shops again for some reason where I'll just ask them to remove the FOAMO and seat the tyre with a compressor.

I'm of the opinion that you should just use tyres with proper sidewalls and all will be well. That said, something like a CushCore is quite a bit more sophisticated than a FOAMO and I would be keen to try if it was not for the ludicrous price.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• 1 month later...

Meezo, have you tried the rimpact option yet? 

I've had my eyes on and it's been my choice just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

But have a look at rimpact
https://www.rimpactmtb.com/

I've destroyed 2 rear rims running csixx foamo. I weigh 70kg all in, my bike is about 16.5kgs and my pressure is about 25psi in the rear.

As an interim I've bought the double decker foamo and running 30-32psi.

.. I'm not convinced by the foamo.

Meezo, have you tried the rimpact option yet?

Not yet, no! Still keen to try it though.

I've since had enough of the foamo inserts, it definitely didn't work well with my sealant and then after having a thorn had pulled out I tried plugging the tyre with little to no success as the foamo inserts doesn't give you much room to push the plug in deep enough.

It's only benefit was I was able to ride "home" with a flat tyre, but i definitely missed out of the ride i planned. So they going in the bin.

Edited by Meezo

• 8 months later...

reviving an old thread here

has anyone tried Cushcore XC inserts for XCM and Trail/DC riding?

Is the weight really an issue?

Looked into this. It was more beneficial upgrading to bulkier tyres (with supportive side casing) instead of using wafer thin tyres plus an insert to protect the rim to get the same result.

reviving an old thread here

has anyone tried Cushcore XC inserts for XCM and Trail/DC riding?

Is the weight really an issue?

Looked into this. It was more beneficial upgrading to bulkier tyres (with supportive side casing) instead of using wafer thin tyres plus an insert to protect the rim to get the same result.

Which tyres would you suggest?

I am coming from Spez Fast Tracks grid 2bliss 2.3 

I dont want to go full heavy beefy enduro tires because i still like pedaling my bike uphill and doing marathon races but want to use the same tires and bike to tackle technical descending.

I run a set of Nukeproof Ards that got brought over from the UK the rim defence is unbeatable considering how thick they are however my only issue is that they dont sit nicely in the wheel and tend to rattle around a bit, they are advertised to shrink to fit after a few hours of being exposed to the pressure but that never properly happened to mine.

Ok, I'm not to concerned with weight and want avoid punctures...run Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 Soft upfront and Hans Dampf 2.35 rear for general riding. For shuttle days Magic Mary and Assegai. Problem with Schwalbe is that they're a bugger to get hold of.

Maxxis DHF or Ardent and Aggressor combo can work (Exo / DD and all those acronyms)

Which tyres would you suggest?

I am coming from Spez Fast Tracks grid 2bliss 2.3

I dont want to go full heavy beefy enduro tires because i still like pedaling my bike uphill and doing marathon races but want to use the same tires and bike to tackle technical descending.

Ive been running Cushcore for 3 years now, but only in rear tyre. 

Here in Gauteng if you ride hard at places like Buffelsdrift I cannot get away without it. Unless I go full DH casing. 

But in Cape you can probably get away with decent strong tires like Maxxis Agressor/DHRII etc for rear (I dont have recent experience with Schwalbe)

They difficult to install/remove, but once you mastered the trick its not too bad

I find they dont work as well on 35mm inner rim, in terms of adding support to tire during cornering and even against pinch flatting. On 30mm rim it works great. 

On my main wheel set I use it with 2.5 Maxxis Aggressor on 35mm 650 b rim. around 22-23 psii

On other wheelset use it with 2.4 Maxxis Ikon on 30mm 29 er rim. around 26 psi

The Ikon is much lighter and faster rolling tire, but with the Cushcore you can push it way harder through rocks and berms than it was ever intended to. Mass of Ikon + Cuscore = beafier tire only like DHRII EXO Plus

I havent had any issues with sealant, but you do need special valve

Advantage of Cuscore is also if you do get flat, you can still ride back home 

• 6 months later...

Any new opinions on using inserts? Seems most don't like them on the front.

Planning on a set of replacement rims and thinking about running a Foamo in the rear only, as between Tokai trails and my riding, I'm a little hard on the rear at times and will likely run cheaper then replacing rims in the long run.

Any new opinions on using inserts? Seems most don't like them on the front.

Planning on a set of replacement rims and thinking about running a Foamo in the rear only, as between Tokai trails and my riding, I'm a little hard on the rear at times and will likely run cheaper then replacing rims in the long run.

Vittoria Airliner (if you can find them) are our go-to at the moment. Not cheap, but they don't absorb sealant and because of their pool-noodle shape are much better at protecting rims than the flat foam type. And unlike Cushcore you can buy one at a time (which I guess isn't an issue if you have riding buddies).