Paint removal for respray

berg_fiets

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I just want a clean frame, what do I coat my frame in after using RemoveAll?

Clean and dry the frame properly, then coat it with a decent Clearcoat. 

Proper automotive product, not your rattle can variety.

A while back I used a paint stripper from builders warehouse, called fixit double strength paint remover.

All you have to is paint it on and let the paint lift/bubble.

some parts will need another coating or two as you will see that the paint is thicker in these areas. I used a plastic scraper to get rid of the paint. This stripper is water soluble, so when you done all you have to do is rinse the frame.

The best thing about removeall is that it gets into all corners... Apply with a paint brush, wait and paint just falls off as a paste, depending what paint was used., it may take a few applications. ..

Clean and dry the frame properly, then coat it with a decent Clearcoat. 

Proper automotive product, not your rattle can variety.

Anybody got any specific suggestions... I'm clueless on this stuff, but i would like to do it properly the first time

If its a steel frame, get the cheapist nastiest paint stripper, put it on, wait 5-10 minutes, high pressure water spray it off, repeat .. normaly 2 times should give you 100% clean frame.   Don't waste time with scrapers etc, rather rent a high pressure machine if you don't have one or can't borrow one.

The "nice enviromental stuff" works fine, just takes ages and few goes. 

Clean with water, then prepsol (decreaser) then overcoat (tin cans works very well if you buy good quality tins) .  If some surface rust, just water paper it off , decrease then coat.

Edit:

If you don't have buddy at spray centre,  Rust-oleum tins are VERY nice paint. Not had flop with it yet (touch wood).

Anybody got any specific suggestions... I'm clueless on this stuff, but i would like to do it properly the first time

Andrew get someone to spray it with 2K clear

If its a steel frame, get the cheapist nastiest paint stripper, put it on, wait 5-10 minutes, high pressure water spray it off, repeat .. normaly 2 times should give you 100% clean frame.   Don't waste time with scrapers etc, rather rent a high pressure machine if you don't have one or can't borrow one.

The "nice enviromental stuff" works fine, just takes ages and few goes. 

Clean with water, then prepsol (decreaser) then overcoat (tin cans works very well if you buy good quality tins) .  If some surface rust, just water paper it off , decrease then coat.

Edit:

If you don't have buddy at spray centre,  Rust-oleum tins are VERY nice paint. Not had flop with it yet (touch wood).

If you are in the western cape and you do this, I hope you get hit by a bus.

Use something that doesn't waste water.

Pretty ******** thing to say, given the other thread about a hit and run on a cyclist.

Use a pressure sprayer, that way you probably gonna use about 2l of water, and do it in the garden. The water soluble removers wont do any damage to the grass

To be honest, my small high pressure gun uses alot less water than bucket/sponge. You can even stick the water intake into the bucket if you really worried if you wasting water. 

Just on the whole pressure sprayer thing, I am pretty sure that any responsible person will be using harvested rain water or grey water...

On a side note regarding the pressure sprayer, please use eye protection and if you aren't fond of an uncomfortable stinging sensation on exposed skin, covering up might not be a bad idea either. Bicycle frames have many nooks, crannies and pockets that can cause that jet to spray back at you and get diluted paint stripper into places that you had forgotten that you had.....

Use it, don't use it.....

Pretty ******** thing to say, given the other thread about a hit and run on a cyclist.

It's an expression.

Basically I am saying that there are numerous options to the OP which DON'T involve using water, so suggesting wasting water, regardless of how much or how little when it can be avoided is just ridiculous.

Being 'offended' over completely non related events is just unnecessary and connecting this to a hit and run by what seems to be a somewhat unhinged human is just silly.

Obviously I don't want anyone to be hit by a bus. The expression is used rather to recognise Karma..

I would also expect such obviously liberal people to be more responsible. Refurbing a frame is not essential, so using water is actually not acceptable considering there are other options.

That is all.

Yes but it was uncalled for and the way things are now, water usage would most likely be grey water. I know lots of people myself included who make use of grey water for almost everything.

It's an expression.

Basically I am saying that there are numerous options to the OP which DON'T involve using water, so suggesting wasting water, regardless of how much or how little when it can be avoided is just ridiculous.

Being 'offended' over completely non related events is just unnecessary and connecting this to a hit and run by what seems to be a somewhat unhinged human is just silly.

Obviously I don't want anyone to be hit by a bus. The expression is used rather to recognise Karma..

I would also expect such obviously liberal people to be more responsible. Refurbing a frame is not essential, so using water is actually not acceptable considering there are other options.

That is all.

Poor taste. That's all folks.

Just on the whole pressure sprayer thing, I am pretty sure that any responsible person will be using harvested rain water or grey water...

Don't use grey water for cleaning before spray painting .. to much #% in it and will ruin paint job.   Might even say don't use it to remove the paint stripper as one have to then wash the frame  again to clean up the grey water gunk.

Archived