Mosselbay and surrounds: Safe Routes

Bosbrommer

Hi Hubbers,

I am spending a week in Mosselbay this week. Bike came along. Do anyone know of safe routes to tackle alone? Not too keen on riding on tar. I am in the Bayview area but can drive to surrounding arrears. I know about the Knysna bike park but it is a bit far. Would prefer something closer. But will visit the park soon! Thank you for looking.

Krynauw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Singletrack, I cannot give you much advice. But there are some very nice routes on the district roads with plenty of climbing and good scenery.

Cycling-Mossel-Bay.pdf

Head north from Klein or Grootbrak. Just dont use Bottlierskop . Road closed of at the Lodge .

If you can make your way to the Big Dipper , Pine Grove ,some very nice climbs.

Ruiterbos school to Brandwag or the other way round. A few nice climbs.

Singletrack, I cannot give you much advice. But there are some very nice routes on the district roads with plenty of climbing and good scenery.

attachicon.gifCycling-Mossel-Bay.pdf

Head north from Klein or Grootbrak. Just dont use Bottlierskop . Road closed of at the Lodge .

If you can make your way to the Big Dipper , Pine Grove ,some very nice climbs.

Ruiterbos school to Brandwag or the other way round. A few nice climbs.

Not too fussed about single track so will give it a go. Looking for distance and lekker climbs. Thanks so much!

To date this has been my best bit of mountain biking I ever did. In Jan 2015 I was also staying for a couple of days in Mosselbay, in the centre of town. I just went out exploring & by accident discovered this gem of a single track \hikers path along the coast. Lo & behold later the same year The Cape Pioneer used some of that exact route for the Prologue.

You Can ride up & down for hours & never get bored. This is close to the Lighthouse.0783ac81c5711f0b75b11e8384d9ddb0.jpgpost-3951-14920257164634.jpgca514591dfe4bd4a29fcd7a814003701.jpgb17ec7a1e33d7a2380007ac81f93b490.jpg

To date this has been my best bit of mountain biking I ever did. In Jan 2015 I was also staying for a couple of days in Mosselbay, in the centre of town. I just went out exploring & by accident discovered this gem of a single track \hikers path along the coast. Lo & behold later the same year The Cape Pioneer used some of that exact route for the Prologue.

You Can ride up & down for hours & never get bored. This is close to the Lighthouse.0783ac81c5711f0b75b11e8384d9ddb0.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_9165.JPGca514591dfe4bd4a29fcd7a814003701.jpgb17ec7a1e33d7a2380007ac81f93b490.jpg

How safe is it to ride alone? Edited by Skylark

How safe is it to succeed alone?

very safe, well I was riding alone & encountered no issues or had any concerns.

very safe, well I was riding alone & encountered no issues or had any concerns.

Could you ride the whole trail start to finish?

I've tried riding hiking trails and sometimes there's some hectic portage sections, even worse if turning back is a huge mission/huge detour.

Completely safe. Only place in SA I've ridden with my wife where we just pick a direction and ride for hours.

Could you ride the whole trail start to finish?

I've tried riding hiking trails and sometimes there's some hectic portage sections, even worse if turning back is a huge mission/huge detour.

yeah you can, it's not a hikers trail Per se, more a walkers Trails so riding it completely without portage is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Gaan praat mt Monties fietse in die dorp. Marius of Luther sal j van al die roetes vertel.

• 7 months later...

Hi.

First post here. I'll be in Mosselbay around Christmas. I'll be staying on the golf course - are there any trails close by? I have a preference for going down a hill on single track (as opposed to climbing). Any help would be REALLY appreciated

Ashley

Hi.

First post here. I'll be in Mosselbay around Christmas. I'll be staying on the golf course - are there any trails close by? I have a preference for going down a hill on single track (as opposed to climbing). Any help would be REALLY appreciated

Ashley

Have a look at this thread, there are some group rides and other options

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/171333-hartenbos-mosselbaai-george-gravel-roads-safety/?hl=hartenbos