Munga Trail Run

Gannet

These events amaze me,however,if they can do the Otter in 4hrs then the sky is the limit.

As someone else has pointed out though its what will happen to your feet that is the issue

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These events amaze me,however,if they can do the Otter in 4hrs then the sky is the limit.

As someone else has pointed out though its what will happen to your feet that is the issue

I don't know all the players here, but I do know smelly and hobbit (HS/TP). They have done 1000s of kms together AR racing in the Merrell Adv Addicts and will help and hinder each other's progress.  Hinder, because racing as a pair you move at the pace of the slower runner (whovere it may be, at the time). I wouldn't be surprised if they stick together for tonight and break up tomorrow to do their own strategies from there if they diverge. (ie. hypothetically if BR is within reach, Hano might be tempted to go for the overall win, whereas Tats might be happy with 1st lady racing Misty and a 3rd overall)

They're good for the distance(I reckon). In terms of time 80hours is not too bad to be out there. BUT with no respite on the legs from bike legs/paddle sections it will be unchartered territory. They're also not scared of pain!

I dunno.. Bennie is pretty awesome at the long stuff.

I'm not sure if any of the AR guys have the pure running pedigree this guy does.

It is an immense effort. I looked at this, was somewhat tempted and then realized how  much a like my toe nails.

The feet are going to take a hammering. It will be interesting to see how Bennie's feet go 300km in. Doesn't he run for Vivibarefoot? Minimus shoes at that sort of relentless pounding might be tough.

The mental vs physical aspect will really kick in tonight. Sleep/rest/refuel strategies get pretty important on the 2nd night 3rd day. Sleep deprivation will become a thing and decision making gets more and more sketchy.

Super awesome dynamic to the lead group!

Keller lost his headlamp and spent the night using his phone and a powerbank for light...

That's gotta be soul destroying  :mellow: 

Kudo's to all these animals  :thumbup:

I dunno.. Bennie is pretty awesome at the long stuff.

I'm not sure if any of the AR guys have the pure running pedigree this guy does.

It is an immense effort. I looked at this, was somewhat tempted and then realized how much a like my toe nails.

The feet are going to take a hammering. It will be interesting to see how Bennie's feet go 300km in. Doesn't he run for Vivibarefoot? Minimus shoes at that sort of relentless pounding might be tough.

The mental vs physical aspect will really kick in tonight. Sleep/rest/refuel strategies get pretty important on the 2nd night 3rd day. Sleep deprivation will become a thing and decision making gets more and more sketchy.

Super awesome dynamic to the lead group!

Bennie, does he do puffer/100 milers etc?

Keller lost his headlamp and spent the night using his phone and a powerbank for light...

This is insane! 

Won Addo 100miler in 2016 (well, joint 1st). Think he was 3rd in UTCT and Skyrun in 2015.

His strava profile is open, so go and check it out..

sooooooooooo, over halfway now.

bennie has about a 20km lead over hobbit and smelly.

they're about to pull into WP6, he's just gone down a big hill.

mehtinks there is still plenty to run here.

the field seem to be running at about the same speed and it's really coming down to how long stops are at transitions.

the current projection (using the raceflow) is for bennie to finish in 3:13, or 85hours. which is a bit slower than pre race talk.

Won Addo 100miler in 2016 (well, joint 1st). Think he was 3rd in UTCT and Skyrun in 2015.

His strava profile is open, so go and check it out..

it is! the oke is a machine!

been averaging about 500km/month this year

check this one out, clearly he gets a bit bored doing all this distance so needs to find new routes

https://www.strava.com/activities/921605737

This is a good opportunity for me to brag about how I once took a Strava CR (running equivalent of a KOM) off Bennie.

Unfortunately he went and took it back the very next day.

I see you are up to speed!

hahaha

Yeah, he is a pure bred runner. Tates and Smelly are tougher than anyone so that 20km could just mean 1 small breakdown. At this stage that 20km is about 3 hours, which is quite substantial but still, touch and go methinks.

I have seen AR teams get lost 20km from the finish and go from 3rd to 9th in the blink of an eye.

Managing rest/refueling from here is where it's at for these guys.

Making me so amped for EA watching this... roll on May the 14th already!