Who knows why a chain gets lube on the outside?

carbon29er

Something I've been pondering recently on long, slow rides:

Why does lube paste itself on the outside plates of a chain when it is applied between the links?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cause you need to be more carful when you slop it on ...its the same reason it gets on the chainstays ,hubs ,the floor and your socks its messy stuff :whistling: 

Centrifugal force displaces the lube through the chain, forming a bead on the outside edge, which then gets transferred onto cassette and chainrings, and finally rubs onto outside plates as chain runs over cassette and chainrings. Tada :)

Something I've been pondering recently on long, slow rides:

Why does lube paste itself on the outside plates of a chain when it is applied between the links?

Centrifugal force displaces the lube through the chain, forming a bead on the outside edge, which then gets transferred onto cassette and chainrings, and finally rubs onto outside plates as chain runs over cassette and chainrings. Tada :)

No man. Some nice metaphysical, astrological pondering on a slow ride, then you come here all logical.

Does explain it though...

Best guess Centrifugal force?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Beat me to it, also liquids have a habit of forming themselves around objects.

apply lube the night before

give the outside of the chain a wipe with a clean rag

leave overnight

next morning wipe the chain down with a solvent on a rag (Don't drench the bloody rag in solvent) till nice and clean.

will stay cleaner for longer.

I don't buy that. The outside plates of the chain only briefly make contact with the front dérailleur but not the teeth on the cluster or blades. So transfer is not through contact with the plate. But plates always get "lube dirty".

I don't buy that. The outside plates of the chain only briefly make contact with the front dérailleur but not the teeth on the cluster or blades. So transfer is not through contact with the plate. But plates always get "lube dirty".

The outside of your chain links make contact with the sprockets during shifting.

Best guess Centrifugal force?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Centrifugal force would mean the lube flies off the chain as the force is applied outwards. But over time the lube ends up all over the outside plates which requires it to travel inwards once it has been forced outwards from the centre of the link.

Centrifugal force would also mean the lube would be thicker on one side of the plate than the other. This is not the case.

ry net vinniger man ....  :devil:

maybe some chemical guru can explain the adhesion forces between the fluid and metal, also fluid creep on surfaces .. yada yada ....

PS - dis nog net WOENSDAG ... is mos nog net die derde werksdag van die week .... te vroeg vir n Vrydag post  .... vir MY is dit nog steeds SATERDAG, is mos met verlof ....  :clap:  :clap:

Extreme centrifugal force would cause lube to fly through the chain and all over the show, and as much as we like to think there are, there actually aren't many cyclists who will generate the required centrifugal force through the chain to cause this, let alone the force required to overcome the designed wetting action of the lube on the chain.

I don't think this warrants any detailed mechanotechnical discussion, but on my long grinding rides up SOB hills, my theory made the most sense!!!

The outside of your chain links make contact with the sprockets during shifting.

The shifting teeth have ramps that catch the outside of the chain and lift it onto the next cog. This happens over 3 teeth. On the downshift there is absolutely no contact, the dérailleur pulls the chain outboard and it drops.

SO any contact is not for sufficiently long to cause the whole chain to be universally and uniformly coated with lube. 

On my IDT where I never change gear I experience the same phenomena so transfer from contact while shifting is not the cause.

apply lube the night before

give the outside of the chain a wipe with a clean rag

leave overnight

next morning wipe the chain down with a solvent on a rag (Don't drench the bloody rag in solvent) till nice and clean.

will stay cleaner for longer.

Does not explain the why but does change the subject to how to reduce.

Archived