Tshwane Classic

Vetplant

Started in DL and had a great ride, stuck with the bunch till Wonderboom and managed to stay near the front over that and TJ to finish in 2:48. Considering my 947 time last year was 3:51 I'm quite stoked with my first sub 3 hours 90km+ race!

Only one down side: the traffic management was impeccable until I was doing 76km/h down the back of Wonderboom and a traffic cop let 2 bikes and an SUV force their way through even though there were cyclists all over the road. I nearly hit the SUV and ended up splitting the bike and SUV which luckily slowed.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spectated on the cnr TJ and Soutpansberg... man that climb is intense. Some riders turning into TJ seeing that hill was like "WTF!!!! Noooooo!!!" Definitely will do the race next year. Nice job ASG, and everyone participating.  

And this guy.... Wow!

post-45680-0-27837200-1509906641_thumb.jpg

post-45680-0-43267600-1509906912_thumb.jpg

Edited by wiledog_x

Heard there was some protest action that affected the VB bunch. Anyone else affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the main bunch of VB got stopped by the "protesters" dragging the yellow barricades in to the road at the corner turning to go up Steve Biko. Lost a minute or two trying to clear.

After finishing a lekker dag out I cycled a loop around Hatfield and went up Tom Jenkins again. Not a single person was riding it. My riding in Italy taught me to ignore the ego. I ride a compact with 32 at the back. Spin out at roughly 75km/h. Us Saffas like suffering. I will be doing the same at Hell and Back - spin up the steep stuff.

After finishing a lekker dag out I cycled a loop around Hatfield and went up Tom Jenkins again. Not a single person was riding it. My riding in Italy taught me to ignore the ego. I ride a compact with 32 at the back. Spin out at roughly 75km/h. Us Saffas like suffering. I will be doing the same at Hell and Back - spin up the steep stuff.

i'm sure you mean cadence of 75 rpm.............or you have an e-bike  :whistling:

Edited by coppi

Yes the main bunch of VB got stopped by the "protesters" dragging the yellow barricades in to the road at the corner turning to go up Steve Biko. Lost a minute or two trying to clear.

Yes, my wife asked me what they were protesting. Must say I heard some shouting but do not have a clue what they were protesting about.

Otherwise enjoyed the race, Must just remember to tell myself not to loose race in my mind. Told myself I will not be able to hold on the two hills only to find almost at the top I did let them go but I could have gone harder and stayed with the front group.

Mind is powerful.

I am really glad that the race went well. Well done to the organisers, I will support ypu next year if you sort your dates out to not clash with other setablished races.

Well done to all and Im gladd you enjoyed it.

Like?

One question:  They mentioned on the day that > 5 000 riders entered the race, however, Racetec shows only c 3 300 results.  Any idea why the big difference? 

Wine to Whales?

2 of my friends were there.

Oh ok..............then again there are so many races nowadays I feel we need to pick and choose at the beginning of each year, that way you get a nice change every year

A few things I had issues with but for a first time I will take my hat off to the organisers. Well done guys. Those 3 climbs(wonderboom, TJ and that last little kicker into the monument) were BRUTAL. We decided to just rule #5 and stick with our usual gearing. 44t up front and 28 at the back. It was really tough in that gearing but we just put our heads down and crunched it up those hills. I actually don't think I would bother changing ratios next time, they so short you just hurt like made and its so close to the end you emptying yourself regardless.

Just before we turned right up wonderboom we had protest action with the idiots pushing the yellow barricades in front of us. Some of the cops were doing their best to prevent it(the bike cops) but some of the metro cops were just standing there watching. We were forced to pretty much stop and dodge bricks in the road, barricades and people. As we rode passed the one lady shouted at us "we doing this because of you white people, If I had a gun I would shoot you". Then up the climb we had taxis racing up on the left so we had to stick to the right lane. On the decent we were doing about 70kph and next second at the one intersection there was a car parked in the middle of the road. So I don't blame the organisers for this, In fact I commend them as they handled it quickly and well. 

What I would love to know is, Why o why do we have to have prize giving at 12h00???? We finished before 09h00 and a 3 hour wait is not lekker. Last week at carnival we finished at a similar time and prize giving kicked off at 10h30 IICR.

i'm sure you mean cadence of 75 rpm.............or you have an e-bike  :whistling:

I still have a 11 at the back. Yesterday's top speed was 72km/h. For Joe average a compact crankset makes sense.

Yes, my wife asked me what they were protesting. Must say I heard some shouting but do not have a clue what they were protesting about.

Otherwise enjoyed the race, Must just remember to tell myself not to loose race in my mind. Told myself I will not be able to hold on the two hills only to find almost at the top I did let them go but I could have gone harder and stayed with the front group.

Mind is powerful.

After the race someone was saying the locals don't like the mayor and he had a lot to do with this race. But I also think they were just irritated that they couldn't take their usual route to wherever they were going. I am not sure if this was a protest they had planned before the event or it just happened on the day.

One question:  They mentioned on the day that > 5 000 riders entered the race, however, Racetec shows only c 3 300 results.  Any idea why the big difference?

I think a larger number of those on MTBs do not even own a Racetec chip or just dont care about their time having a a jol instead.