Motivation

Hi there,

I need help, advice, something...

2 years ago I was a regular 8-10hr a week rider, through injury and work commitments I degenerated to currently a 4-5 hr week. I now have the time to ramp it up again but just can't get out there!! I have all the plans laid out, positive thoughts, prep everything the night before, but just can't get the motivation on the morning to get out. ( even tried retail therapy )...

alll positive advice will be greatly appreciated ????

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Target a race or mass participation event and train towards that. 

Surround yourself with like minded people.

Join a club.

Join a spinning class.

Stuff motivation. Get dedicated.

Devise a comprehensive training plan which challenges you but offers enough recovery and then just stick to it.

Or you know, follow my patented technique of doing nothing and whining about the results. Feelsbadman.

Find a committed training partner who always turns up prior to ETD!

Fixed it for you.

Nothing worse than being the one who always arrives at departure first only to receive the SMS-of-shame.............

Some partners would help until you have the self-motivation back again.

But chances are many others are struggling with the same problem.

its a rollercoaster...

build it up slowly until it becomes part of your daily routine.

And getting to 8 hours is easy, especially when you slow like me...

I am following this closely..... i am doing a trainer road IDT program which is fine but i don't want to do any races???? It is if i am scared to take the bike outside  :blush:  :eek:  :blush:

I am following this closely..... i am doing a trainer road IDT program which is fine but i don't want to do any races???? It is if i am scared to take the bike outside  :blush:  :eek:  :blush:

Im not a morning person, if left alone long enough I would become fully nocturnal so morning rides dont work for me.

Riding in the afternoon/evening doesnt work either because of all the traffic so I generally do most of my riding on weekends and on the trainer during the week. Zwift is good for that and keeps me entertained for long enough to get some good sessions in.

Nothing motivates more than someone passing me and feeling the need to chase!

where's the fun in that ? I ride indoors a fair bit, but if I dont spend time out it really gets to me and then I hate the trainer.

Prep everything the night before, set the alarm on your phone, place phone on the other side of the room so you have to get up to get up to turn off, since your up you may as well go ride.

Some people can get out of bed at 4am and hit the road...not My cup of tea!

Don't get me wrong, I believe the best thing you can do is get the training done early to benefit from a faster metabolism and time management.

If you are like me, then you're fighting the morning thing AND the training needs.

If you can, do the shorter training sessions when you get home in the evening, try squeeze one early morning session during the week and use the weekend for the longer miles...

Better than skipping a training session!

Bottom line, don't count on someone else to give you self-motivation!

I do agree,  a goal or a race does give you that reason to train. 

Like 'dieting', motivation to ride/train/race has to come from yourself. All the external ones may help but in my experience it's generally also just for short periods .... in short no I don't know

I have always preferred the morning training, I'm fine during the week getting onto the Watt bike at gym, but come the weekends I'm horrible. The training partner thing is definitely part of my problem, use to ride with a great bunch of guys but I'm no where near fit enough to ride with them now. Truth is I ride for the fitness but also largely for the social side of it. So I suppose the solution is to fine another bunch to ride with who are of similar fitness, easier said than done.

I have always preferred the morning training, I'm fine during the week getting onto the Watt bike at gym, but come the weekends I'm horrible. The training partner thing is definitely part of my problem, use to ride with a great bunch of guys but I'm no where near fit enough to ride with them now. Truth is I ride for the fitness but also largely for the social side of it. So I suppose the solution is to fine another bunch to ride with who are of similar fitness, easier said than done.

Seek and ye shall find - put out the call here on the Hub under a separate thread? Most Hubbers don't bite. Well, some do, but not too hard, just to draw blood, like a Hub-love bite....... :devil:

In Nov 2015(week after 947) my first lightie was born. At first I still rode and trained as much as I could, Yes it was a lot less but I was still training. After Argus this year(or 22km of it) I decided to take a break for the first time in a very long time. Wanted to just spend my weekends with family as I was just loosing motivation to be out riding and my wife and baby where at home. But now after not riding for just over a month I miss it. Told the wife I might have to start again sooner than I originally said. Guess we have to all find our balance between being motivated towards many different things.

Archived