1*10 vs 1*11

NotSoBigBen

So I have an opportunity to upgrade from my current 1*10 (34ovl*11-42) to 1*11 but struggling to justify why ...

Unless I could go something like 36*11-46 I can't see any reason to do it. Besides the smaller gap in the gears but that doesn't swing it for me.

Checked out the Rapide 1*11 upgrade special (SRAM) but it only offers an 11-42 that I can see ....

Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

So I have an opportunity to upgrade from my current 1*10 (34ovl*11-42) to 1*11 but struggling to justify why ...

Unless I could go something like 36*11-46 I can't see any reason to do it. Besides the smaller gap in the gears but that doesn't swing it for me.

Checked out the Rapide 1*11 upgrade special (SRAM) but it only offers an 11-42 that I can see ....

Any thoughts?

Don't do it unless you need the 36x46 (or 36x11 for top speed and can't manage the 36x42 granny). There are some super fast dudes out there that can smoke me while riding a single speed bike. More gears will not make you faster. 

NSBB can ride up a mountain, on big ring...

Do you need to spend the money? I personally can't see the benefit for the marginal gains, if any

Don't do it unless you need the 36x46 (or 36x11 for top speed and can't manage the 36x42 granny). There are some super fast dudes out there that can smoke me while riding a single speed bike. More gears will not make you faster.

Pretty much my thinking as I have used that gearing at quite a few events and I cannot say that I ran out of gears high or low ... 'yet' some may say ????

Do you need to spend the money?

I'm totally available for donations. Just Saying :D

Ok that settles that then, thanks guys! Sorry Uni I'm sure I'll find something else that actually does make sense to do with it ????

I down / up (graded) my new bikes groupset from 2x11 to 1x11. Went 34 front and 46 back.

So far really enjoying it, I wouldn't mind getting myself a 36 when one comes available on the Hub... ????. My LBS was telling me about an E-Thirteen 9-46 upgrade kit. Compatible with Shimano if you change your freebody. Relatively expensive initially but thereafter you can replace sprockets individually or in groups as opposed to complete cassette? I might consider looking at this when my current cassette gets tired...?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My friend upgraded to 1x11 (34/42) while I am running 1x10 (30/42).

He only rides me away on the tar road (sometimes) but in the mountains, I really cannot see a difference. Our pace/speed is practically identical.

So I agree with everyone to not upgrade...

Rather get them Eagle! :clap:  

My friend upgraded to 1x11 (34/42) while I am running 1x10 (30/42).

He only rides me away on the tar road (sometimes) but in the mountains, I really cannot see a difference. Our pace/speed is practically identical.

So I agree with everyone to not upgrade...

Rather get them Eagle! :clap:

I couldn't do that bling Eagle any justice so best I stay with what I have ????

Kinda related so ima ask this too. So there was 1*10 now 1*11 and 1*12 is the new upgrade. More gears at back. Nice. More gears right.

So Why did they then take away the front chainrings? Why not leave it at 2* or 3*? And its just more expensive to upgrade. Its killing my brain. Someone tell me wheres the advantage please

I am running a 32 x11/42 10 speed on a HT and a 34 x11/46 11 speed on a Full sus bike and find the latter to have the better ratios in all conditions .I also think that on a full sus bike you need more gears than on a HT such as in my case

Ag Ben, you know you wanna do it man, and heck you deserve it. 1*11 is so super smooth. I vote yes.

Any thoughts?

I have done "upgrade" from SRAM 1x10 to XT 1X11 and don't think it was worth it. If you already have the Rapide 11-42 cassette, I would not bother, unless you need a 46 or 50 on the back. I have not really noticed any increase in 'smoothness'. If anything the clunky XT shifter (which is now rattling after 100km of Karoo roads) is a down grade from my previous SRAM 1x10 system

Ag Ben, you know you wanna do it man, and heck you deserve it. 1*11 is so super smooth. I vote yes.

Yes for 1 x 12 - otherwise keep your money..

Archived