New Track: Jonkershoek

Andrew_Smith

Howzit guys,

So my friend and I are planning to go through to Stellenbosch on Saturday to go ride Jonkershoek for the first time. I heard from a few people that it is an amazing track. I am also eager for a new track, so really looking forward to it.

Can you guys who have ridden the track please give us advice on what to expect. How long would one ride? How much water will you need? Nutrition? Climbing? Distance? The price of permit? How late does the track open?

Any other feedback will be much appreciated as I just want to be prepared for the day.

Thanks.

~ André

Edited by Andrew_Smith

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy! Take about 1.5l of water, you can expect to be out for about three hours if you happy to climb. The climbs are always worth it tho. Take a bar or a bag of energelies to keep your energy up if you that way inclined. Permit is 50 bucks and well worth it. Have a look at i ride Africa's map. The upper canaries are open and the new trail at that starts at the bottom of the upper canary trails is phenomenal.

Enjoy!

Did the lower part couple of weeks ago which was awesome. 

Unfortunately our ride was cut short as we had a faller and had to get her off the mountain and to the emergency room. Some nice technical trails that flow great. 

post-58702-0-89829400-1493317185_thumb.png

post-58702-0-27704900-1493317208_thumb.png

Hi, 

Jonkers is rather difficult to figure out on your own. There is no set trail...you can expect to do lots of climbing. Most of the trails are for more advance riders with even the Blue "Never-ender" trail that could scare the live out of novice riders. When you get to the gate, ask anyone with a bike to point you in the right direction. or follow a group, or you will spend half the day trying to figure out where to go. Use Strava to look at segments prior to riding, maybe that will help with the navigation. Also google earth the hoek, as you will clearly see the trails.

I will suggest you start early and first do the Right Side of the valley with Stellenbosch behind you. The sun hits the right side just after 7 and it get Hot quickly...move over to the Left for the rest of the day. You can expect to climb 500m within less than  7km, easily (think Tokai)...and thats just to get to the one of many descends....Look for the start of "Red Phoenix"  and "Never-ender"...you can get a map at the gate, but its not easy to find your way.  There are trails all over the place and every single one is better than the next one...Its that good!

There is some clean mountain streams higher up, but with the drought most are dry. so take enough water.

Jonkers is and awesome spot, and you will experience some amazing trails...but you need good experience. 

Enjoy!!! 

Edited by MDK!

Hi, 

Jonkers is rather difficult to figure out on your own. There is no set trail...you can expect to do lots of climbing. Most of the trails are for more advance riders with even the Blue "Never-ender" trail that could scare the live out of novice riders. When you get to the gate, ask anyone with a bike to point you in the right direction. or follow a group, or you will spend half the day trying to figure out where to go. Use Strava to look at segments prior to riding, maybe that will help with the navigation. Also google earth the hoek, as you will clearly see the trails.

I will suggest you start early and first do the Right Side of the valley with Stellenbosch behind you. The sun hits the right side just after 7 and it get Hot quickly...move over to the Left for the rest of the day. You can expect to climb 500m within less than  7km, easily (think Tokai)...and thats just to get to the one of many descends....Look for the start of "Red Phoenix"  and "Never-ender"...you can get a map at the gate, but its not easy to find your way.  There are trails all over and place and every single one is better than the next one...Its that good!

There is some clean mountain streams higher up, but with the drought most are dry. so take enough water.

Jonkers is and awesome spot, and you will experience some amazing trails...but you need good experience. 

Enjoy!!! 

Thanks for the helpful advice MDK!.

How late are you allowed to enter Jonkershoek? We will want to try and go as early as possible because we are driving from Durbanville.

Coming down to your last point: "but you need good experience"

Both my friend and I ride Scale 940's and we regularly do the Tygerberg Hills Trail System. We really like going fast (even on our HT) down and we have no problems doing our local trails. Would we be able to manage Jonkershoek trails?  

How late are you allowed to enter Jonkershoek? We will want to try and go as early as possible because we are driving from Durbanville.

Both my friend and I ride Scale 940's and we regularly do the Tygerberg Hills Trail System. We really like going fast (even on our HT) down and we have no problems doing our local trails. Would we be able to manage Jonkershoek trails?  

No worries. 6am the gate opens. There are chicken runs for most jumps and rocky sections,  but yes there is some lekker technical stuff...as this is you first ride, take is easy and learn the trails for next time. If Contermans and hoogekraal are you normal riding spots, then you should be fine. But you will see when you get there..its epic! All the trails, beside die double black are HT friendly, just take its easy on your first run.

Edited by MDK!

Open from 7 bells if I'm not mistaken. 

The cool thing about Jonkers is that they almost always offer a "B-line" around the more technical sessions so you should be good. Just keep your eyes open for sketchy obstacles as signs are not up everywhere to warn you. 

Stay away from black routes though :D

Good advice up above. From the right hand side of the valley (facing into the valley away from the parking area) you can get a good perspective of the valley layout and also see many of the trails that are on the left hand side.

Only trail to actually avoid on a hard tail is The Plumber - high up on the left side. You'll see it's sign board if you are riding on the right hand slope. Starting just next to The Plumber is Red Phoenix. Some steep and fast sections and a bit ridden out but great trail. Just don't ride up the trails, plenty jeep tracks for climbing.

Hi

If you can ride Hoogekraal and Conti's, you be just fine at Jonkers.

Enjoy!

Take a trail map and/or latch onto some locals.

Try to ride the Canaries and enduro line in 1 go and then the red phoenix. then head to the fire hut trails on the other side of the valley. Grab a piece of carrot cake at the shop and then head up to the really fun and really manageable old flow line just behind the shop.. It's a 5 minute climb and has some really fun jumps and berms.

That should have you suitably sated for the day.

I just hope they have cleared up the rubbish. Yesterday there was a riot on the jonkers valley road and a few cars were alight with the police blocking it off for a while.

Only trail to actually avoid on a hard tail is The Plumber - high up on the left side. You'll see it's sign board if you are riding on the right hand slope. Starting just next to The Plumber is Red Phoenix. Some steep and fast sections and a bit ridden out but great trail. Just don't ride up the trails, plenty jeep tracks for climbing.

I think the drop in into the plumber is enough to discourage most riders, and opt for the red instead.

I would personally skip never ending story. And do red, upper canaries and fire hut.

Take a trail map and/or latch onto some locals.

Try to ride the Canaries and enduro line in 1 go and then the red phoenix. then head to the fire hut trails on the other side of the valley. Grab a piece of carrot cake at the shop and then head up to the really fun and really manageable old flow line just behind the shop.. It's a 5 minute climb and has some really fun jumps and berms.

That should have you suitably sated for the day.

I just hope they have cleared up the rubbish. Yesterday there was a riot on the jonkers valley road and a few cars were alight with the police blocking it off for a while.

Thanks, Jewbacca. 

We will most definitely try to ride with other who know the trails well. As for which routes to ride, I go with the one's you mentioned.

Sweet! My friend would love that jumps and berms, I included.

Looking forward to Saturday. :)

Here is a map I made from Google Earth, based a lot on the iRide map, to help me get orientated.

I have not done all of the trails, so not certain of some of the names. So some input would also be appreciated. Bennets Red is what I believe most people refer to as Red Phoenix? Not sure what that new trail to the left of the gate is called (I referred to it as canaries/new trail).

Jonkershoek Trails - Updated 2017.pdf