Tools and custom tools ....

This one is for those that enjoy tinkering with their rides.  :whistling:

Would love to see your tools, especially the custom tools and tricks to get the odd jobs done.

Here is one to get the thread going - "Chain tension device"

post-110956-0-63765500-1493824824_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-72459000-1493824840_thumb.jpg

This tool is very handy for those that want to keep the chain "in place" while traveling with their bike, with the rear tire removed.  It is also very handy for maintenance work on a bike stand.

PS - this obviously works on full size bikes, but it actually also works on a small 20'' kids bike.

BUT, nothing available for a bike with a "through axle" ....

A nice loooong 12mm bolt, with thread on the end only, and a nylon pully works nicely -

post-110956-0-87981200-1493824990_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-39498000-1493825005_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-11484000-1493825019_thumb.jpg

I bought a 250mm length bolt, the 220mm length would have done the job.  I am looking for a narrower nylon pulley ....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another little "quick tool" that really helps -

post-110956-0-54119600-1493825811_thumb.jpg

PS - got this tip of the web ....

This is how it makes your life easier when linking or breaking a chain -

post-110956-0-78325000-1493825856_thumb.jpg

Nice ideas Chris

Where did you get the pulley from?

At the local hardware store - Brights.

I have previously seen much narrower units .... with this wide unit you have to go up 2 or 3 gears.

R43 for the bolt, and R26 for the pulley .... "bit" better priced than the branded tools .... maybe I should invest in some blue paint and sell it ....  :whistling:  :whistling:

At the local hardware store - Brights.

I have previously seen much narrower units .... with this wide unit you have to go up 2 or 3 gears.

R43 for the bolt, and R26 for the pulley .... "bit" better priced than the branded tools .... maybe I should invest in some blue paint and sell it .... :whistling: :whistling:

Thanx! I've looked at buying a Pedros tool like this before, but its expensive!

I'll keep an eye out for those (narrower) pulleys

Why not just use the actual thru-bolt as you have in the first pics? Not being funny, but you must have a reason. Btw bloody good idea, I have a bought one and it's rubish!

This one is for those that enjoy tinkering with their rides. :whistling:

Would love to see your tools, especially the custom tools and tricks to get the odd jobs done.

Here is one to get the thread going - "Chain tension device"

Tools-1 (Large).jpg

Tools-2 (Large).jpg

This tool is very handy for those that want to keep the chain "in place" while traveling with their bike, with the rear tire removed. It is also very handy for maintenance work on a bike stand.

PS - this obviously works on full size bikes, but it actually also works on a small 20'' kids bike.

BUT, nothing available for a bike with a "through axle" ....

A nice loooong 12mm bolt, with thread on the end only, and a nylon pully works nicely -

Tools-3 (Large).jpg

Tools-4 (Large).jpg

Tools-5 (Large).jpg

I bought a 250mm length bolt, the 220mm length would have done the job. I am looking for a narrower nylon pulley ....

Why not just use the actual thru-bolt as you have in the first pics? Not being funny, but you must have a reason. Btw bloody good idea, I have a bought one and it's rubish!

The actual through-bolt has grease on it, and this will wash off when I wash the chain.  Hardly a train-smash as it would be easy enough to re-lube the shaft.

For transporting the bike it would make perfect sense to rather use the actual bolt - dont want to get there to realize your bolt is back home ...

Archived