UCI rules regarding riding with kids.

RyanD

Morning all.

Please help with a situation that has arisen. I am a competitive cyclist but I have taken this season to race with my 12 year old on the local 25k courses. One has to learn to race and my lad is keen to have a good go.

We ride in the Zululand area and in some remote places at times. At the last race we attended we started in A batch and had a good race. I don't touch him, push him up hills, in short I provide no physical assistance. If his chain breaks I will fix it for him though.

When we finished,the race overseer informed me that I have to ride with a 5 minute gap between me, and my child competing in a race caregory. I told her I provide no assistance to him which the lady said it is in the rules and it's because I can add a mental advantage, I do agree on the mental advantage of being continually coached during a race, but watch any grand tour and all the riders have earpieces. What's the difference.

My primary concern is that he goes off course and gets lost. This happens to adults at every event we attend. At my sons pace he is covering about 1.2 km in 5 mins. That's way to to dangerous as once he is off course he is lost.

I have spoken to other parents involved and they agree with me that it's not safe to have the kids ride on their own.

I have read the UCI rules on MTB and can see nothing referring to a 5 minute gap. I would appreciate any info anyone may have regarding this issue. I am trying to encourage a young rider, for him to win his race and then have his trophy taken away will do the opposite.

Thanks

Ryan.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been at races where ladies racing for places had similar assistence from a male support rider. Afik it is frowned upon, not against the rules. If racing for placing & prize money, support should be same for all.

Re getting lost - get him a gps device with live tracking, not just for racing, but for whenever he rides.

Getting lost or not, I would not want my 12 year old being alone in the middle of the South African bush at any point of a ride.

Next time you are challenged, ask for the exact rule that is being transgressed.

I am a competitive cyclist but I have taken this season to race with my 12 year old.

I am trying to encourage a young rider, for him to win his race and then have his trophy taken away will do the opposite.

There is your problem.

It is HIS race, not yours. There is no way a grown up "competitive cyclist" should be involved in a race for 12 year olds.

If you are worried about his safety and him losing the course, ride with him until he is capable of riding by himself like all the other 12 year olds. Then let him race them fairly.

What are you on about? He clearly states he does not physically assist in any way, the kid is very clearly racing on his own steam.

As for assisting with technicals.....mmmm, noticed how there are techies fixing roadies bikes and in stage races how other team members jump in and fix one their riders bikes. There is no rule that says a fellow rider cannot assist with technicals, if you are expecting a 12 year old to fix a flat on a tubeless wheel, something most grownups battle with.

Agree wit Eugene, show me the rule or jog on.

There is your problem.

It is HIS race, not yours. There is no way a grown up "competitive cyclist" should be involved in a race for 12 year olds.

If you are worried about his safety and him losing the course, ride with him until he is capable of riding by himself like all the other 12 year olds. Then let him race them fairly.

FFS let the kids ride their own races.

One better, let them learn to just ride and have fun.

Anyway it's not fair to the other kids to have an adult shadowing one of the competitors.

What are you on about? He clearly states he does not physically assist in any way, the kid is very clearly racing on his own steam.

As for assisting with technicals.....mmmm, noticed how there are techies fixing roadies bikes and in stage races how other team members jump in and fix one their riders bikes. There is no rule that says a fellow rider cannot assist with technicals, if you are expecting a 12 year old to fix a flat on a tubeless wheel, something most grownups battle with.

Agree wit Eugene, show me the rule or jog on.

I'm sure Eddy is looking forward to his jog  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

There is your problem.

Are you going to reprimand the men riding with their women too? No doubt they push them during the race etc, manipulating the outcome of the women's race.

Ride with your boy. No harm done. One parent probably cried foul who was too lazy to ride with his own kids.

Are you going to reprimand the men riding with their women too? No doubt they push them during the race etc, manipulating the outcome of the women's race.

Ride with your boy. No harm done. One parent probably cried foul who was too lazy to ride with his own kids.

There is a big difference between a fun ride and a race.Anyway what race allows a 12 year old boy?

There is a big difference between a fun ride and a race.Anyway what race allows a 12 year old boy?

More importantly, what u/13 race allows a grown up "competitive cyclist " to join in. And what grown up gets any satisfaction from racing 12 year old children.

If he does not see how warped his parenting is there is not much left to say.

These men who ride with "their women" ? Fresh in from Salt lake City? Much?

Please folks, let the kids just have fun on their bikes.

More importantly, what u/13 race allows a grown up "competitive cyclist " to join in. And what grown up gets any satisfaction from racing 12 year old children.

If he does not see how warped his parenting is there is not much left to say.

What a knob of a comment, taking a guy on about his parenting style based on one comment. Not nice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived