Smart indoor trainer - which one?

marie-louise

If you and your hubby are going to be using it, I am assuming you will be constantly interchanging between your bikes, which will be a bit of a ball ache to do daily with a direct drive trainer, as it involves taking the back wheel on and off on both bikes. Hence, I suggest a standard trainer on which you can just pop the bikes in and out with the switch a lever. My recommendation is the Kikr SNAP. Its Also a lot cheaper than the direct drive Kikr.

I disagree - my boyfriend and I share a Kickr and the removal of the back wheel and putting it on the trainer literally takes seconds. Direct drive trainers are the way forward - much less wear and tear on your components as well.

While the Kickr SNAP is a good product, it doesn't live up to the Kickr. You won't regret getting a Kickr ????

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, I am looking for an indoor smart trainer which myself and hubby will use. He is the more serious rider. Considering all the trainers available, I don't know which one to choose? Kicr/ Tacx? Or would you suggest something else? This will be a birthday present and I cannot ask his advice!

KICKR Ships with a installed 11 speed cassette and a free RPM cadence sensor. This allows him to use the product out of the box on Father's day. Other products require tools and a visit to you local bike shop for the right cassette. 

You can get a KICKR online here with free shipping:

https://www.buycycle.co.za/mountain-bike/accessories/trainers/wahoo-kickr-indoor-trainer/

Or at the following stores:

- CycleLab Fourways/Boksburg/Pretoria

- Any Specialized Store Complete Cyclist/Concept Cyclery

- Almost any independent bike dealer

To test the unit out we have 3 service centers in Gauteng where you can try the KICKR out and where the products can be serviced. You can view these locations here:

http://www.paincave.co.za

For any technical queries or advice you can call Sean Steenkamp on 0876541940

Best of luck and enjoy Father's Day!

The Cycleops Hammer is where it's at!

With great local backup service you can't go wrong!

Bluethooth/ANT+, direct drive and fits all the wheel axles for Road and MTB! Future proof.

Yip I want one! 

If you looking for  cheap  buy a simple Giant trainer with manual resistance  controller plus a smart cadence and speed sensor to pair with your phone and you can join zwift.

To add resistence you can fill the rear tyre with water or slime ( you will be surprised what an extra kg of mass does ) and if you want to simulate a steep incline, pull the rear brake a bit  :ph34r:

This will set you back about R 2000

Edited by coppi

If you looking for  cheap  buy a simple Giant trainer with manual resistance  controller plus a smart cadence and speed sensor to pair with your phone and you can join zwift.

To add resistence you can fill the rear tyre with water or slime ( you will be surprised what an extra kg of mass does ) and if you want to simulate a steep incline, pull the rear brake a bit  :ph34r:

This will set you back about R 2000

Did you actually read what the OP wrote?  They have the bucks so are not looking for a cheap option and her partner is a more serious cyclist.... so she is wanting recommendations on a SMART TRAINER..... not some botch job!!

On a more constructive note...

Make sure you know if the unit runs with Bluetooth or ANT+. Preferably both.

Try understand what other devices and software you need to control the trainer and get the best out of the unit.

Example, if you use Bluetooth and you want to run with an IPad, make sure the IPAD version is compatible, or you will need a new one...

Hi there, I am looking for an indoor smart trainer which myself and hubby will use. He is the more serious rider. Considering all the trainers available, I don't know which one to choose? Kicr/ Tacx? Or would you suggest something else? This will be a birthday present and I cannot ask his advice!

I have been using a cycleops power beam for a number of years and can highly recomend them.

However the trend nowadays is for direct drive trainers instead of tyre to Roller types. Cycleops Hammer is the cycleops direct drive smart trainer.

Walking amongst the pro teams at the Tour of Switzerland on the weekend I noticed most teams were using TACX direct drive trainers (sorry not sure which model) and was impressed how quite they were.

Good luck and hope hubby is happy ????

I have been using a cycleops power beam for a number of years and can highly recomend them.

However the trend nowadays is for direct drive trainers instead of tyre to Roller types. Cycleops Hammer is the cycleops direct drive smart trainer.

Walking amongst the pro teams at the Tour of Switzerland on the weekend I noticed most teams were using TACX direct drive trainers (sorry not sure which model) and was impressed how quite they were.

Good luck and hope hubby is happy

That says it all, if its good enough for the pros.......................

Good luck and hope hubby is happy

Usually see them on the Tacx Neo. Apparently Tacx support locally is not great though.

I feel guilty and out of sorts because I haven't ridden since Sunday - Monday it was raining properly, madness to ride, Tuesday less rain but I was lazy and stayed under the duvet and today I started work too early to fit a ride in before.

This thread giving me GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I just ordered a CycleOps Magnus, great service from David at Bicycle Power Trading. I am picking up tomorrow, so very keen to give it a try out! This will be my first indoor trainer - I usually go to gym and use the Wattbike, but lately it has been impossible to get one in the morning if I don't arrive at 4:50 before the gym opens and stare at every guy in cycling shorts like I am going to attack them if they come near a Wattbike!

I will be using with my old 26er MTB for now...

Wahoo Kickr + TrainerRoad + Wahoo Tickr Hr Strap.

The Wahoo deal comes with their Wahoo RPM Cadence pod.

Awesome setup, have had mine now since last year March, and gotten another 3 friends onto the same setup, everyone improvement night and day to what they were.

Use a iPad or a Samsung pad as option 1, can always use a iPhone and/or Samsung Phone/Android also.

G

Listen to this man from a Hardware point,

and then use TrainerRoad as the software that controls it, for the ultimate interval training setup,

You can also use ZWift with this setup, 

All uploading workouts to their respective data stores, and also to Strava and to TrainingPeaks.

G

KICKR Ships with a installed 11 speed cassette and a free RPM cadence sensor. This allows him to use the product out of the box on Father's day. Other products require tools and a visit to you local bike shop for the right cassette. 

You can get a KICKR online here with free shipping:

https://www.buycycle.co.za/mountain-bike/accessories/trainers/wahoo-kickr-indoor-trainer/

Or at the following stores:

- CycleLab Fourways/Boksburg/Pretoria
- Any Specialized Store Complete Cyclist/Concept Cyclery
- Almost any independent bike dealer

To test the unit out we have 3 service centers in Gauteng where you can try the KICKR out and where the products can be serviced. You can view these locations here:

http://www.paincave.co.za

For any technical queries or advice you can call Sean Steenkamp on 0876541940

Best of luck and enjoy Father's Day!

Another vote for direct drive trainer. I am on Tacx Flux with Zwift on my iPad, syncing to TrainingPeaks. The Flux seemed like the best value for money to me.

Just something to note, my bike is a bit older and a 10 speed, and my partner rides an 11 speed, so we use different casettes, which makes sharing difficult. Hopefully you dont have this challenge.

Oh, and invest in a proper fan to go with your setup. You will soon dowcover why!

Edited by Sparkles

I had a powerbeam and now a kickr. Powerbeam was great for about a year then I just had issues. I was helped in a wink by bicycle power. I can't fault the kick at all. I would not mind trying the flux either

smelling blood, or is that smelling a sale... ;)

Christian, your response ? - PS: might have another friend looking for a unit...

G

FLASH SALE COMING TOMORROW!!

TACX !!!!!!!!