Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

Erm you forgot to cook the meat[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

LOL. That's perfectly cooked, thanks. 

But, if I'm braaing and you have brought meat, and you have a preferred temperature (rare / medium / well) I will cook it to spec. Got no issues there. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. That's perfectly cooked, thanks.

But, if I'm braaing and you have brought meat, and you have a preferred temperature (rare / medium / well) I will cook it to spec. Got no issues there.

Just pulling your leg, my son would approve of it though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If I can recommend Karoo Kitchen for meat. The missus and I bought some biltong from them as a lunch time snack. If their braai meat is as good as their biltong, then I know where I'll be buying meat for our next braai at home. They have a branch in Umhlanga, and one in Hillcrest, for anyone outside of KZN who might want to visit KZN in the near or far future.

Edit: their 6 pack of lamb braai tjops is around R50 cheaper than the lamb tjops at Woolies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

If I can recommend Karoo Kitchen for meat. The missus and I bought some biltong from them as a lunch time snack. If their braai meat is as good as their biltong, then I know where I'll be buying meat for our next braai at home. They have a branch in Umhlanga, and one in Hillcrest, for anyone outside of KZN who might want to visit KZN in the near or far future.

Edit: their 6 pack of lamb braai tjops is around R50 cheaper than the lamb tjops at Woolies.

Only place I buy my meat from.

Am off there after to get a pork belly for the braai evening

Thanks, will give them a try.

Cool. Obviously I can't speak for the quality of anything we haven't tried but for two bachelors it was a good value for money deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cool. Obviously I can't speak for the quality of anything we haven't tried but for two bachelors it was a good value for money deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As a matter of interest, what have you tried? Were you happy with everything?

As a matter of interest, what have you tried? Were you happy with everything?

Remember, I'm talking under correction here so I'll have to confirm with my brother later... I'm looking at their deals on their website and from what I can remember we got:

4 x 500g Mince
4 x 500g Boerewors*
4 x 500g Tenderised Steak
4 x 500g Hamburger Patties
4 x 5 x 100g Prego Steaks
4 x 500g Goulash
I can't remember what else we got. It looks like the September hamper, so there might have been an August hamper.

As you can see, the portions aren't huge (500g wors, 500g mince, etc) but it works out great if you're just two guys, since you get 4 portions of each.

It's good quality and vacuum sealed. The wors, patties and surprisingly the tenderised steaks were standouts. Wors thick and juicy, patties generous and the tenderised steaks large enough that we could cut it in two.

You might get better if you shop around and source everything from different places, or if you have a really fantastic local butcher, but for value for money we were happy enough that we'll definitely buy from them again.

The main thing, of course, is that we didn't buy any high-end quality meats from them. Therefore I can't speak for them when it comes to the pricier cuts.

Here is a photo of what we have left, with a mustard sauce bottle to compare for size. The pregos in the middle are unfrozen, as we're having them tonight.

KyE4kKz.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Also only 2 in my house so that wouldn't be an issue.

Can't say I'm too fond of the local butchers, so comparing against Pick 'n Pay/Checkers mostly.

Will get a hamper of some kind and try them out.

Has anyone here bought meat from Spar? I usually get meat from the local butcher when I'm at home, but being away at the moment I hear the quality of meat here isn't all too great from these butchers, and there is a Spar in the area.

Has anyone here bought meat from Spar? I usually get meat from the local butcher when I'm at home, but being away at the moment I hear the quality of meat here isn't all too great from these butchers, and there is a Spar in the area.

Spar's being self owned franchises tend to have huge variations in quality between branches.  However, they do stock "karen" beef.  If it is beef in a vacuum pack it will be of that standard.  However, talk to their butcher and go have a see for yourself.  I would rate Spar on the same standard as Checkers and PnP

Spar's being self owned franchises tend to have huge variations in quality between branches. However, they do stock "karen" beef. If it is beef in a vacuum pack it will be of that standard. However, talk to their butcher and go have a see for yourself. I would rate Spar on the same standard as Checkers and PnP

Our Spar's meat is top notch, definitely no comparison to P&P or Checkers. They get their meat (beef and lamb) from someone who's meat gets checked and tested by Spar HO quality control department.

Hou die rubber op die grond!

Edited by BSG