American Classic 420 Aero - what tires?

Eon du Plessis

That's good to hear. Are yours a recent tubeless model?

Don't think that you get tubeless GP4000's.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, think it's the rim tape. I've been mucking with the wheels, taking tires off and then putting them back on. The rim tape goes all the way to the edge, over the inner ridge of the rim. In the repeated seating and removal, it started pulling away from the side anyway. That piece now unseats a lot more easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not running my Argents tubeless yet, just have some cheap Vittoria Zafiras on.

Supposedly you shouldn't use tyre levers with these wheels... so it took a lot of swearing over the course of two days to get them on the first time.

To remove them, to test if I would be able to do it next to the road, I found that without tyre levers the only way that worked for me was to push the bead into the center channel all the way around, on both sides. Then I could push the tyre off. Still not easy, but at least possible.

Which tubeless tyres are available in SA? I see the Zipp Tang on CWC, and two Schwalbe ones on Evobikes, and that is about it.

I'm not running my Argents tubeless yet, just have some cheap Vittoria Zafiras on.

Supposedly you shouldn't use tyre levers with these wheels... so it took a lot of swearing over the course of two days to get them on the first time.

To remove them, to test if I would be able to do it next to the road, I found that without tyre levers the only way that worked for me was to push the bead into the center channel all the way around, on both sides. Then I could push the tyre off. Still not easy, but at least possible.

Which tubeless tyres are available in SA? I see the Zipp Tang on CWC, and two Schwalbe ones on Evobikes, and that is about it.

Ja I also have Argents, an absolute pain the arse. The problem is there's a tiny channel on the edge of the rim which helps to seat the tyre. Getting it off that small channel into the main mid channel is the biggest challenge, but once it's there you can work with it. Took me a solid hour the other day to get the old tyre off and the new tyre on. It being this cold doesn't help at the moment, but still. Absolute pain.

I'm confused as to why people are trying to swap out tyres they are underpants. I got wheels, added tyres and stans. Didn't touch them again all season. Bought victory 30's as training wheels, same. Had my LBS set them up last time so didn't have to hassle about that.... not that I'm lazy, Just allergic to latex!

I'm confused as to why people are trying to swap out tyres they are underpants. I got wheels, added tyres and stans. Didn't touch them again all season. Bought victory 30's as training wheels, same. Had my LBS set them up last time so didn't have to hassle about that.... not that I'm lazy, Just allergic to latex!

Suppose its a bad luck/bad road conditions thing. If the holes are too big to seal you going to be swapping out R1k+ tyres like undies. then maybe some other solution has to be looked at like a different route or a MTB. :lol:

I also recon that once a season should be fine. and they probably last 2 seasons depending on your mileage.

If you are not pushing the tyre to the channel first and then complain about getting the tyre off then rather take them to your LBS as this is the correct way to do it - perhaps to one side at a time into the bead and then lever that bead over the rim edge - then move the other side into the bead - this will make sure each bead has the full channel.

CWC and Evobikes had the Hutchinson also. :thumbup:

Unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as you.  My son trains early in the morning when it is still dark.  He didn't see some glass in the road and got a nasty cut that couldn't seal.  Luckily he was close to home, but even at home he could not get the Pro One off.  So if you have a bit of bad luck in a race you are stuffed.

I recently got some AC Argents and am using GP4000 IIs for now. When they wear out, I would like to make the switch to tubeless. But all these horror stories are putting me off...

Has anyone tried the Giant Giavia tubeless tyres?

I have the Aero 420 3, older version, black and silver decals, with Conti Gatorskin Wire bead Tyre 25mm... These are fit and forget tyres, due to their resilience...

I swapped the tyres around every 1000km's to get even wear out of them, I currently have 3500km's+ on the tyres currently and had 1 flat if I remember correctly, don't know why it went flat, but it did....

Initial fitting was a pain, but thereafter not so bad once the tyre got stretched...

I recently got some AC Argents and am using GP4000 IIs for now. When they wear out, I would like to make the switch to tubeless. But all these horror stories are putting me off...

Has anyone tried the Giant Giavia tubeless tyres?

The Gavia's are very competitively priced.

Seen two models ranging between 400 and 600.

No riding experience with them yet.

I love AC wheels and am considering getting a pair of the Victory 30 wheels, but I have read that it is a bugger to get the tires off of them. Seems to be an AC road tubeless wheel flaw.

That really sucks, their wheels are almost a no brainer. Cheap(ish), light and the hubs are super reliable.

Seriously starting to change my mind on the Victory 30s.

I have AC Victory 30 and Schwalbe Pro One's are easy to get on and off

I love AC wheels and am considering getting a pair of the Victory 30 wheels, but I have read that it is a bugger to get the tires off of them. Seems to be an AC road tubeless wheel flaw.

That really sucks, their wheels are almost a no brainer. Cheap(ish), light and the hubs are super reliable.

Seriously starting to change my mind on the Victory 30s.

I'm in the same boat. On the verge of buying a pair of 30's but I don't need the hassle to change tyres

Unfortunately not everyone is as lucky as you.  My son trains early in the morning when it is still dark.  He didn't see some glass in the road and got a nasty cut that couldn't seal.  Luckily he was close to home, but even at home he could not get the Pro One off.  So if you have a bit of bad luck in a race you are stuffed.

100%. I guess I have been pretty lucky on all counts with the AMC's tubeless and none as well my road tyres. 

I ran Conti 3000s for two seasons on training and racing bikes  (Aero 420s) and never had a flat then got the Victory 30's, ran them with tubes and the another set of conti's for a while and again no issues on or off either wheels / tyres then went tubeless with Pro Ones and the only issue I ever had was a nail and a bit of glass and they sealed up perfectly. 

I do hang my tyres for about a year - 18 months though in a dark place. Not sure if that makes any difference. Probably not! :)

I'd have no reserves getting AMC's as they are great hubs and wizards of Alu rims.  

I'm in the same boat. On the verge of buying a pair of 30's but I don't need the hassle to change tyres

Put GP4000 SII's one with no issue onto 30's... Gators are another story - the carcass is difficult to keep in the channel.

100%. I guess I have been pretty lucky on all counts with the AMC's tubeless and none as well my road tyres. 

I ran Conti 3000s for two seasons on training and racing bikes  (Aero 420s) and never had a flat then got the Victory 30's, ran them with tubes and the another set of conti's for a while and again no issues on or off either wheels / tyres then went tubeless with Pro Ones and the only issue I ever had was a nail and a bit of glass and they sealed up perfectly. 

I do hang my tyres for about a year - 18 months though in a dark place. Not sure if that makes any difference. Probably not! :)

I'd have no reserves getting AMC's as they are great hubs and wizards of Alu rims.  

I Love American Classic wheels, they build amazing hubs, light and strong. Keen to try tubeless myself once there are more tyre options.

Ja I also have Argents, an absolute pain the arse. The problem is there's a tiny channel on the edge of the rim which helps to seat the tyre. Getting it off that small channel into the main mid channel is the biggest challenge, but once it's there you can work with it. Took me a solid hour the other day to get the old tyre off and the new tyre on. It being this cold doesn't help at the moment, but still. Absolute pain.

Yeah that's the bit I struggle with - getting over that small channel into the bigger center channel. Once you're in there it's super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived