Garmin Edge 520 battery life

mecheng89

Hi Hubbers,

To those who own a Edge 520, who can realistically get 15 hours out of that unit?

After 7 or so hours yesterday, the battery was already on 18%. Here are the functions that are turned on - 

Brightness - 60%

Bluetooth

HRM

PM

GPS +GLONASS

Maps (during yesterday's ride)

What power-saving tips can you recommend? If worst comes to worst, can I purchase a new battery from NavWorld or someone else?

Turn off Bluetooth. Makes a massive difference in battery life on my 510. Screen brightness is also a big battery killer. Set to light up when touched if you don't need to constantly look at it.

I get about 11 to 12 hours but then I don't use half of the functions you use. My brightness is however at 80%.

Turn off Bluetooth. Makes a massive difference in battery life on my 510. Screen brightness is also a big battery killer. Set to light up when touched if you don't need to constantly look at it.

+ normal GPS is fine

But my power data is displayed on it. I cannot ride without it

As stated before, turn Glonass off

AFAIK, the biggest battery eaters are (in order): GLONASS, Screen brightness, BT, Maps).

Some place active map use (navigation) before screen brightness.

There has been a discussion on the 520 battery life on here before.

WTF is GLONASS anyway? Something Soviet?

It's a Sovietski GPS service (a separate satellite cnstellation) that augments elevation (IIRC). Also, it operates more at higher latitudes - SA is very much mid-latitude, so shouldn't be a concern for us. I guess unless there's a reason to turn it off, just leave it on

My 520 does not have as good a battery life as my 510, so I need to keep an eye on it.

I squeeze about 12 hours per week/ charge out of it with bluetooth switched on.

(HR, cadence, Di2 and screen on 30%. I don't run maps or power, so hardly touch the screen)

Unfortunately turning the BT off is not a possibility. SO request and it's very nifty for notifications (calls, texts etc.). 

I run the screen at 10%.Still clearly visible. Makes a big difference.

I've noticed in bright daylight I can set the screen brightness to 0%. What does screen brightness matter in the day anyway? 

But my power data is displayed on it. I cannot ride without it

What power meter do you have? Turn off bluetooth connection to your phone.

Unfortunately turning the BT off is not a possibility. SO request and it's very nifty for notifications (calls, texts etc.). 

Bluetooth with phone connection will eat up the battery quickly.