Climbing like Contador

Such a beautiful country.

Last I was there was when we used to live in the UK.

And the people make up for the shitty weather

....you're welcome. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly time to hang up the skinny wheels and go mountain biking!!

I went the other way. Got sick of roadies showing up on rides and killing me on the hills. I asked around and was told pushing the harder gears on a road bike was the shiz. Bought a road bike and fell in love with it. Sold off my last mtb this month.

I went the other way. Got sick of roadies showing up on rides and killing me on the hills. I asked around and was told pushing the harder gears on a road bike was the shiz. Bought a road bike and fell in love with it. Sold off my last mtb this month.

Good man!

We need more people like you in the world  :P

Edited by Jurgens Smit

You will regret that one day........... :whistling:

I am not a roadie, so this is purely my own experience, but I joined Viva gym in June, and they have the MyRide ICG virtual spinning classes. I am currently training for K2C, so I attend this 4 times a week. In these classes, the virtual instructor will include at least 3 -4 sets of jumps ranging between 6 - 10 reps per set. The session include what they refer to as "running" where you are standing on a "descent". They also do standing accelerations, where the resistance is substantially increased to simulate a rather big climb (think Passo Pordoi or Grossglockner) and mixed together with increased cadence for intervals of 30 -60 seconds a pop for at least 5 reps in a set of 2. The only rest in these sets is sitting and reducing cadence to say 65 from about 85-90. Finally, just for kicks they throw in a standing climb at about 75 RPM for 2 minutes every now and again. Makes for lots of grunting, at least on my part.

As I said I am no roadie, but doing this has made H U G E differences to my overall strength and climbing. This weekend I did a 80km loop which included Jonkershoek about half way in. I felt strong on the climbs, and never fatigued. At one stage as I was ascending Devonvalley, I managed to fit in some jumps, and I felt good going up.

It almost makes me want to get a road bike to train on during summer.

Standing wastes a lot of energy. Learn to climb seated and perfect your pull/push sequence with your legs

Not in all cases, often standing like that is used as a recovery and lowers the intensity and allows you once seated again to keep momentum. 

You do however have to train that. I personally do it a lot and has significant benefits. I train a lot standing on climbs and certain drills I do are just that, long standing efforts on climbs and it builds more muscle as it uses a slightly different muscle group to seated and uses a slightly different energy system and is very effective when done correctly. 

People find it hard cause they never train it and therefore they battle with it.

I prescribe a fair amount in pre season training to certain athletes. 

It has a lot of benefits when done correctly.

Edited by J Wakefield

Not in all cases, often standing like that is used as a recovery and lowers the intensity and allows you once seated again to keep momentum. 

You do however have to train that. I personally do it a lot and has significant benefits. I train a lot standing on climbs and certain drills I do are just that, long standing efforts on climbs and it builds more muscle as it uses a slightly different muscle group to seated and uses a slightly different energy system and is very effective when done correctly. 

People find it hard cause they never train it and therefore they battle with it.

I prescribe a fair amount in pre season training to certain athletes. 

It has a lot of benefits when done correctly.

When I started riding I was told to stay seated to "build hip strength", was riding with a lot of try-athletes at the time. 

But as things progressed, I started enjoying standing every now and again. Then as the weight came off, it became even easier. I then started practicing, 5mins standing at a time, but only at just above threshold.

Now that has become an invaluable "recovery" position.

When the guys are attacking up the hills, its seated chasing 100%, but as soon as it eases off a little, its out of the saddle, recovering quick for the next seated surge.

Running. I run trail and when I am in a position from a conditioning perspective, where anything under 15k does not hurt then my leg strength is good when climbing on the bike.

Core. I need a strong core to transfer power well on the bike.