R40K to spend on a car

'Kaze Pete

Any honda CRV.. the old ones are solid! Can be had for cheap!

Cheap, never seen one under R60k! Well I did but it had well over 300,000km and was pretty rough, Honda has close to Toyota resale value, well not quite but in that league.

I have had 2 CR-V's. Best cars in the world. Can't recommend them enough. Will always have a Honda somewhere in my garage.

Even if its just a lawnmower.[emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

I have had 2 CR-V's. Best cars in the world. Can't recommend them enough. Will always have a Honda somewhere in my garage.

A little thread derail if the op doesn't mind. Which Crv models are the good ones, engine/gearbox variety and what are things to look out for when buying one?

How are the awd/4x4 versions, capable off road/ground clearance decent?

I'm very keen to get one.

Small bakkie. Got a Bantam myself. On 265 000km now and still going strong. One of the best drives on gravel.

Confident much?  :D 

LOL, I recently decided to retire my corsa utility for a proper Isuzu 4x4 DC. I also thought my corsa was the bee's knees. Then I woke up and smelled the double espresso. I no longer miss my corsa.

Confident much?  :D 

LOL, I recently decided to retire my corsa utility for a proper Isuzu 4x4 DC. I also thought my corsa was the bee's knees. Then I woke up and smelled the double espresso. I no longer miss my corsa.

Went from a highly modified golf caddy bakkie to a navara. The little 1.6L with more zar in  mods than I sold it for sounded like the bee's knees and went like a rocket ship, or so I thought till I drove my 4.0 V6 out the dealers. When ever I see a caddy I tell my wife that one day I will buy another one to play with. I miss mine but a double cab is just the best. 

I have an 1995 Mercedes C220 with 165000km on the clock and never had any problems with it, you can get those for around 40k and in very good condition. It gives me 8-10l/100km, very comfortable to ride (and it can do 200 on the highway). Some of them have issues with the wiring of the engine loom being bio degrade able and degrading way to fast, but other than that I love my Benz.

You also have bragging rights and you can tell everyone you are riding a Mercedes, just leve out that it is an old model.

Yes I think of getting myself a bakkie, but with a towbar I can do anything a bakkie can do.

@Skylark
Basically all of them are great. The newer ones are more of a platkar. Pic of the bunch IMO is the second Gen 2.4 AWD manual. If post 2005 then the auto (5 speed came with 2005 facelift.) These interiors don't age well though. Especially the black leather ones. Try go for a cloth interior.

First generation is very nice, I would stay away from the Auto as it's a bit lethargic. The back is huge if you drop the seats and it's surprisingly competent off road. You will never be able to do any hectic offroading with any of the CR-V's. I had a 1998 2.0 Auto AWD, LOVED it. Added a performance chip (LOL). It needs it. 

I recently did the Eselbank Pass in the Cederberg with my current CR-V (2002 2.0 AWD manual with beige cloth interior) and it had no issues at all. They are epic cars.

Post 2007 is the diesel the nice one. However the 2.4 Petrol is also a gem of a motor. I would generally stick to petrol due to the reduced maintenance and cheaper purchase price. 

I don't really know the 4th gen. The 5th gen has just been released and is getting very favorable reviews.

Thanks for the info!

What consumption figures do you get with your 2.0 and have you ever towed with it?

I've got a Corsa Utility 1.4 Base A/C which works wonders for getting to and from biking events. I've personally seen one of these (my buddies) easily transport 3x bikes over the hatch to the start line of a race. You can pick them up for quite reasonable prices, especially if you buy privately and not via a dealership.

I get on average 10km/l. The 2.0 is low on Torque. Very peppy though. Not ideal for towing but it gets the job done. Very stable on the road so in that sense it's great.

Archived