R40K to spend on a car

'Kaze Pete

I need a car which with which to reach road and MTB events in a radius of 150km from home. It must be able to securely accommodate myself, possibly a passenger, bicycle, and all kit required to participate and get back home safely.

Thank you

I need a car which with which to reach road and MTB events in a radius of 150km from home. It must be able to securely accommodate myself, possibly a passenger, bicycle, and all kit required to participate and get back home safely.

Thank you

bantam bakkie?

10k uber spend the other 30k on upgrading your bike

Its an issue getting home when the closest uber is 150km away...

Small bakkie. Got a Bantam myself. On 265 000km now and still going strong. One of the best drives on gravel.

Picked up my 2002 Corsa 1.4 bakkie for R30k a few years back, included canopy and towbar. Had 280,000km odd on it, aside from normal running costs its still going perfectly and we are well over the 300,000km mark. No aircon, no power steering, spares are cheap and easy to fit yourself...

Remember to buy for slightly less than you have so you can factor in some new tyres, service, roadworthy and all the little bits etc that may be needed....

Bantam bakkie for sure. It would probably already have a towbar fitted for a bike rack for the passenger's bike.

Bantam bakkie for sure. It would probably already have a towbar fitted for a bike rack for the passenger's bike.

2 bikes will fit upright in the back. May just need to put the flap down, but that's not an issue if you do it properly. 

Agreed - if you can get a corsa diesel, then you're on to a winner. Had one for a couple of years and absolutely loved it

Agree Corsa or Bantam, virtually any decent car for R40k will be a wreck unless you are very lucky and pick up a bargain or hear of someone selling a nice car.

One thing you might wanna consider with the small bakkies is how cramped the seating is. DOnt get me wrong, they are awesome but also tiny especially if you tall. I had a look thru gumtree and there are lots of options. lots of corsa and bantam bakkies as well as city golfs. Then also alot of bigger cars, all depends what you like I suppose and whats in a decent condition.

One thing you might wanna consider with the small bakkies is how cramped the seating is. DOnt get me wrong, they are awesome but also tiny especially if you tall. I had a look thru gumtree and there are lots of options. lots of corsa and bantam bakkies as well as city golfs. Then also alot of bigger cars, all depends what you like I suppose and whats in a decent condition.

True that, had a Nissan 1400 many moons ago, so cheap to run and I drove it like a rally car(rear wheel drive around corners :D), never skipped a beat but damn was that cab small, ruined my clutch leg/knee for life being at such a weird to fit my lanky frame in. Only reason I sold it was the ridiculously small cab.

The bantam and caddy etc is much better in that regard, caddy is actually an awesome option, you still find some relatively mint examples and R40k will get a nice one, also good mention on the citi golf, I've seen plenty in nice condition for around R40k pretty small though.

You can get so much French car for R40k but I've heard too many horror stories to stomach getting one, either weeks/months to fix basic issues because they can be so complex or horribly expensive if it's a major repair needed. Some people have almost no hassles with them though so I suppose if you can find one where you know the previous owner and it was well looked after maybe worth looking at.

The Nissan's are nice little bakkies, but they lack any luxury's or driving comfort and they do have very little space in the back.

I agree with the other small bakkie options though. Either the Bantam/Rustler, Corsa or Caddy are great options.

Just try and find one with a canopy as they can sometimes be difficult to find afterwards and also be quite expensive.

Alternatively maybe look at a slightly older model small car like a CitiGolf, Tazz, Fiesta or Clio and fit a bike rack on the back. If you look around you should be able to find something in your budget.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Archived