2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

Thanks Splat. I would consider a Camber if I could afford a Carbon frame and had money to do a full custom build. I hate how Spez specs their bikes, mixing Fox and RS and SRAM and shimano all in one bike. That SWAT door is such a good idea though, I wish other bikes could implement that. Also the Camber didn't go boost this year which is a bit lame.

You are correct. The 2017 Camber comp carbons are not specced well. I was actually looking at one as a possible upgrade but instead choose the Trek Ex8, although alu, it's super stiff with a top spec, boost and much better suspension.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehehe ....

some interesting comments.

I have the "baby brother" : 2017 Fuel EX5.

I looked at most of the offerings of the other brands in the same price segment.  Some very good bikes !  And yet it was the EX5 that awoke the boy in me ....

about the only negative I can come up with - press-fit BB bearings ... while many of the competition use the threaded versions, just a bit easier for the DIY type owner ....

LOVE my EX5 !!

You are correct. The 2017 Camber comp carbons are not specced well. I was actually looking at one as a possible upgrade but instead choose the Trek Ex8, although alu, it's super stiff with a top spec, boost and much better suspension.

The 2018 EX 8? Do you already have it? That was super quick.

The 2018 EX 8? Do you already have it? That was super quick.

nope 2017 but I don't see many changes in 2018 model

nope 2017 but I don't see many changes in 2018 model

True, no design changes. Just paint and component spec.

Are you still running it 2x?

How is that Rhythm fork? Are the incremental damping adjustments noticeable?

Pedaling platform with that REactiv shock?

Do the side knobs on those XR3's bite on such a wide rim?

Anything else that stands out?

I decided against the fuel range not because of the bike but because of the dealership I had to work with. LBS is really not nice, as I love talking about bikes and spec and the guy had no time for that.

So I'm looking at maybe getting the Merida One twenty 800 2018. Also very nice spec for price. Or even the one forties.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Edited by bologniusmaximus

I decided against the fuel range not because of the bike but because of the dealership I had to work with. LBS is really not nice, as I love talking about bikes and spec and the guy had no time for that.

So I'm looking at maybe getting the Merida One twenty 800 2018. Also very nice spec for price. Or even the one forties.

Exact reason I did not buy a Giant ...

On the day I bought my full suspension my first stop was at the Giant dealership ....

I have previously owned a Giant, but the current dealer near us may well invest more than "casual labour" to sell bikes .....

Exact reason I did not buy a Giant ...

On the day I bought my full suspension my first stop was at the Giant dealership ....

I have previously owned a Giant, but the current dealer near us may well invest more than "casual labour" to sell bikes .....

I'm sure all of us have experienced something like that. Why own an lbs if you dont want to discuss bikes with your clientelle?

what would be a passionate one?

Subject to personal taste I guess. I was merely expressing my own. 

Thing is. Despite Trek being one of the worlds major bike manufacturers.

I don't think they've completely lost their 'boutique' appeal as a brand.

Gun to my head? If someone asked me which brand I liked best between the big ones.

Specialized, Giant, GT, Cannondale, etc. I'd choose Trek every single time.

As a brand they just seem more appealing. To me that is. Just not as appealing at smaller boutique brands like Transition, Banshee, YT, etc.

Having said that the Trek Fuel Ex series has a long history. There have been and will probably continue to be a plethora of iterations of bikes called the Trek Fuel Ex. Which is why its appeal (as a bike not a brand) is lost to me. I just personally don't find it as the most imaginative choice out there. No matter how good the bike is. 

I must say these Fuel EX's have grown on me quite a bit in recent months...

I would love to get my hands on a EX 9.7 for a weekend for a proper ride, only problem is I cant afford that ticket price sadly.

My trusty ol Tallboy is gonna have to keep going for some time to come.

True, no design changes. Just paint and component spec.

Are you still running it 2x?

How is that Rhythm fork? Are the incremental damping adjustments noticeable?

Pedaling platform with that REactiv shock?

Do the side knobs on those XR3's bite on such a wide rim?

Anything else that stands out?

2x11...not a 1x fan. And coming from 2x10, the 2x 11 is really nice

Rhythm fork... I haven't yet been able to really ride the bike hard, so cannot really comment other than to note that it's a huge upgrade from the Revelation on the Camber.

REactive has been the biggest surprise. Very efficient climber. Little peddle bob

XR3... I've a actually just fitted them to even wider rims - Flow mk3's. I've never been a fan of Bont tyres but the XR 3 in 2.4 might just change that

Hi all

I had my bike stolen a few weeks back so Santam said I can go get another one.  I had no doubt it would be a trail orientated one but the question was which one.  I looked at the obvious 'usual' brands like Giant, Scott, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, PYGA and Trek (I am not a great fan of GT, Orbea or Merida I'm afraid - had a wee look but didn't take it further) as well as boutique (Santa Cruz) and imports like Canyon, Transition and YT. 

As with most of us, we start with the affording what we can buy and end up buying what we can afford. Luckily I insured for replacement value as I have made that mistake once before.  I initially wanted the Scott as I had one previously and loved the look of the new Genius (I rode Andrew Neethling's and fell in love all over again) and wouldn't hesitate to get one.  I test rode the PYGA and the YT as well as the Tallboy and while all satisfied the desire, none satisfied the wallet.  I look at overseas but the hassle of anything going pear shaped and having to send it back etc etc put me off.  

I ultimately settled on the TREK Fuel EX 8.  I have already owned the previous generation TREK EX 26'er so I know the brand and I'm aligned with their ethos so it's not unknown territory there.  I liked what was available in the suspension aspect - 130mm front and rear and I liked that I got it for a great price being a clearance bike.  My LBS also stocks them so if I have a problem I just go a'knocking.  All things being equal - if money wasn't such an issue would it have been my go to?  I don't really know. Just for the record, my first look was at the Santa Cruz but my eyes watered just looking at the price-tag.  What I do know is that the Fuel Ex is a great bike, handles well, is comfortable and the kicker that sold the deal, it has a lifetime warranty on the frame. I also realised that I will most likely never never be happy with what I ride but I should be as I own a very nice bicycle.  

I did a review here on Instagram if anyone is interested and I will be doing a review preview shortly now I have a proper feel for it.

Cheers

Edited by Pure XTC

• 4 weeks later...

It has arrived and my word, what a capable bike. It stays so well composed in the fast bumpy stuff compared to my previous bike.