Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

@ICM the wedding I was meant to be going to the week before Weymouth has just been postponed until April 2021 due to COVID, so now doing Weymouth is up in the air as it was meant to be a combined, go to the wedding and the following weekend race.

I will wait and see first what IM have to say about the event going ahead, they say will notify 50 days before, which is the end of July.  Then will decide whether to do or defer it (probably the latter).  With Leicester going into lockdown and likelihood of more areas going the same way as you open the economy fully this weekend, the event may not take place.  

On a side note, I had already entered the new IM70.3 Venice on 02 May 2021 (through AWA priority), and then get this email yesterday about the wedding re-arrangement which just so happens to now be the week before Venice lol

i think ultimately 2020 wont happen unfortunately. As you point out Leicester going into a harder lockdown and other councils will be watching eagerly. Life is almost back to normal now and with the pubs etc opneing this weekend its pretty much back to normal with a few restrictions. This will lead to a secondary spike and more restrictions. 

If on i will be doing 2020, and 2021 and 2022 etc etc....if not this year then we have a beer in 2021. 

My son is due to get married in ZA on 11 September... i have air ticket etc, looks like ti wont happen either. Gauteng still climbing the mountain with numbers. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lidos reopen this weekend as does open air sports.... optimism is high that Weymouth will be on...

however its still a number of weeks away and anything could happen

Gyms still closed, no flights overseas yet and i see SA is on the UK list of countries that have to quaranine for 14 days, so definately will have to defer my entry.

• 3 weeks later...

just received a mail from Ironman saying Weymouth is on...

Also received same Have emailed them about defer and transfer as limited flights from here and SA on UK banned list, so would have to quarantine before the race and also upon my return.  Just not feasible!

• 2 weeks later...

weymouth cancelled and i have just started swimming again

Really, just after I have done the referral to next year, what options they given you?

As the deferral of Weymouth, after advising because of C19 I could not fly, afford the quarantine time required by the UK government coming from SA, they let me defer to 2021 also saying that it was not the norm but would allow it.  I subsequently queried whether would be possible to defer to Bahrain in December rather and was advised no and that my allocation for Weymouth 2021 has already been done and if for any reason I cannot make it then, I will not be able to defer further, even though the initial deferring was not of my doing but because of logistics of flights, quarantine and C19 pandemic.

So if there are other options, I might go back to them and see.

Edited by shaper

Really, just after I have done the referral to next year, what options they given you?

As the deferral of Weymouth, after advising because of C19 I could not fly, afford the quarantine time required by the UK government coming from SA, they let me defer to 2021 also saying that it was not the norm but would allow it. I subsequently queried whether would be possible to defer to Bahrain in December rather and was advised no and that my allocation for Weymouth 2021 has already been done and if for any reason I cannot make it then, I will not be able to defer further, even though the initial deferring was not of my doing but because of logistics of flights, quarantine and C19 pandemic.

So if there are other options, I might go back to them and see.

All Weymouth 2020 entries have been deferred to 2021. Raises a number of questions. There were many that deferred from other events so will they be eligible for those events in 2021 or Weymouth and questions like you have. Full email pasted below.

Dear Athlete,

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and after further discussions with and direction from Weymouth Town Council and Dorset County Council in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to confirm that the IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth triathlon originally scheduled for September 20 cannot take place in 2020 and will return in September 2021.

In a meeting earlier this week, Dorset’s multi-agency Safety Advisory Group was satisfied that IRONMAN’s proposed health and safety measures were well thought through, and that participants, staff and the wider public would have been sufficiently protected from potential COVID-19 infection. However, following discussions at both Dorset Council and Weymouth Town Council yesterday, councillors have requested that IRONMAN cancel the race, citing local community concerns around such a large event taking place during the pandemic and their feeling that the timing just isn’t right at the moment.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this decision due to the above-mentioned unforeseen events may come as a disappointment and we share in those feelings.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to the 2021 race date.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered participants are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have further questions, please contact us at weymouth70.3@ironman.com.

We appreciate your patience and support in this very dynamic time and while we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we are looking forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience at IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth in 2021.

Kind Regards,

The IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth Team

• 2 months later...

As my accommodation was already paid for i went to Weymouth for hte weekend. 

There were more ppl in weymouth mingling that during normal race weekends. What a farce. 

Nice weekend out though and best weather i have had over a race weekend in the 4 years i have been going, which is typical ,next year its mayhem and misery again .

Edited by IceCreamMan

• 4 months later...

Some good news coming from No 10. Another provider of tri events here has started scheduling new events for later in the summer too. So i am optimistic this will be a go. might still have problems getting here but i suspect by mid summer we will be in the clear in that regard. 

Problem i now have is that the Brighton marathon and the paris marathon have been moved to later in the year so september and october are going to be hectic on my body. 

• 6 months later...

So Weymouth 2021 was a lovely sunny warm autumn day. 

Unfortunately i tore a calf muscle at Brighton Marathon the week before so i spectated and supported and drank beer. I did register to ensure i got my 257 quid bag. Life is like that sometimes. 

As to Brighton Marathon, a lovely day too. I should have stopped when i felt the muscle issue but of course an ironman never surrenders and a fast walk became a slow walk became i cant carry on. 

I was gutted as i had done a lot of ttraining and felt superb , felt like an ironman again after a few years of feeling unlike one. 

But like is like that. As the Brighton shirt proudly exclaimed, make the come back stronger than the set back. Wife an i entered the 2022 Brighton marathon (april 2022) so will work towards that and will enter WEymouth again for 2022. 

• 7 months later...