Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

It's a toss up between Weymouth and Swansea. Both will be a 1st time. Any recommendation? 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Is anyone partaking this year?

My wife is so I am a lager lout supporter this year. Accommodation booked 

23 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

It's a toss up between Weymouth and Swansea. Both will be a 1st time. Any recommendation? 

Both are nice scenic places. Can’t go wrong with either. Do both. They far apart time wise. Come down south we do pints

On 4/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Both are nice scenic places. Can’t go wrong with either. Do both. They far apart time wise. Come down south we do pints

Funds only allow for one unfortunately. Just noticed that Swansea is in the school holidays, so guess that made the decision for me. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Well done Shaper. Great result. Great to catch up. 

my wife finished in 8:26. Just just. Might do PE IM together in 2024. 

Cheers for the support and good to catch up after the race!

14 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Well done Shaper. Great result. Great to catch up. 

my wife finished in 8:26. Just just. Might do PE IM together in 2024. 

Congrats to her 💪

Like you said previously, the downfall of IM in PE is that you need to train during winter if you are in the north. The nights are already becoming long. 

12 hours ago, shaper said:

Cheers for the support and good to catch up after the race!

Well done Shaper. What happened to your bar?

14 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Well done Shaper. What happened to your bar?

Broke a bolt on the clamp to the extension, so had to ride with just the one extension on the tri bike

• 6 months later...

So I have a chance of doing the Weymouth 70.3 in September due to my sis in law getting married, it will be my first IM, and Mosselbay will be my second. How is the course in comparison to Mosselbay? It is still 5xmonths away, so I will have to look at renting a wetsuit and bike for the day, will it be worth all the efforts?

35 minutes ago, corrie.kuilder said:

So I have a chance of doing the Weymouth 70.3 in September due to my sis in law getting married, it will be my first IM, and Mosselbay will be my second. How is the course in comparison to Mosselbay? It is still 5xmonths away, so I will have to look at renting a wetsuit and bike for the day, will it be worth all the efforts?

Swim is nice, in the bay, flat calm and great if sunny, water super clear, you can see the bottom, but morning will be freezing, pick up some throw away white spa type slippers as you stand on a cold pebble beach, you can get them cheap on takealot.  Last year, I was even shivering in a wetsuit before the start.

First hour on the bike is cold, worth wearing socks if you happen to race without socks on the bike leg, maybe even consider arm warmers depending on the weather.  Roads are farm roads mainly, lots of up and down and pretty rough in places.  A road bike with clip-ons will be fine, else just a road bike.  There one big hill around 60kms or so, save the legs, after that the road back into town you can fly and is a nice road until you work your way through town back to T2. If I raced it again, it would be on a road bike rather than my tri bike.

Run is 2.5 laps on the seafront, good crowds, for support and pretty flat route.  Long walk back from finish to the Transition which is along the run route, so nice to support slower runners as you go collect your stuff.

Fun race apart from the cold start. Not a bad race for a first as swim is flat calm if wind not blowing and run course is pretty flat.