Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

Late September in the Uk and you got to expect dodgy weather.

Good luck, am sure will be a tough but fun event !!

Even with the crap weather for IM Wales last weekend, I see they had to close the priority booking for 2020 as people were jumping the queue https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/ironman-wales-shuts-down-priority-16945610

I have been tempted by this event and Ireland full. Just need to build up the motivation.

Will see how it goes and make a call. They have predicted a very cold winter so we see.

Wife is very keen I do another full, gets me out the house I spose with all the training.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironman Weymouth does what it does best and that is dish up crap weather. Beautiful days leading up to the event and ok now but this morning was crap with rain and wind but fortunately not cold. Ocean was flat but visibility was poor so swim was shortened to 950 metres although my Garmin had me at 1030 metres. No big deal. Problem was that start was delayed by 30 minutes like last year. Now standing around in the rain for an extra 30 minutes is crap.

I seeded myself in 35 minutes group. (The boards still indicated for a full swim) as I have swum very little this year. Soon enough the lil beep beep beep barp and I was off. My plan was just to keep it together. 3 strokes breathe 3 strokes breathe without exertion. Overtook some and got overtaken by some and really enjoyed the swim. Soon enough it was over. Weymouth is on the Jurassic so the beach is stone. Battled to get out the ocean an then transition is around 400 metres away on tar. My feet are dainty so I just walked. My time was under 20 minutes when I stopped my watch but don’t know where the mat was. (Not looked at results)

T1 was entered with it raining. But I had packed appropriate gear after last year including a thin plastic rain jacket and off I went. With the rain and wind I was being cautious and at Weymouth the first 10 kays is uphill to get out of the Bay Area. My average was slow but ignored it. As the terrain became more suited to my lardiness my average crept up. Was getting a tad warm in the jacket but continued to rain so kept it on.

Got to km30 in an hour an a minute which surprised me. Plan was to slow down a bit for the next 30 to the bottom of revels hill to be as fresh as possible for Revels hill. Road to hell (or is that Weymouth) is paved with good intentions so I started burning matches. Some hills etc and got to the bottom of Revels averaging 30 km per hour. Sweating due to the jacket but wtf. I am an Ironman right. Plan was to stop on revels to pee , eat something an stretch. About a quarter up I realised I was in trouble. Legs were heavy so stopped a lil early to chill a bit. Got back on bike and realised I need to push a bit so I did. Walked maybe 300 metres an ate etc got back on the bike expecting to make up time on the downhills after Revels. Well. Wind was blowing in wrong direction so the last 25 kays were not as I expected. Embarrassingly I pushed up another hill as well. The rain jacket was taking its toll. I was sweating buckets an it was sapping my strength. However, it was still raining. Rock hard place. Got back into T2 inn3:17 according to monsiour Garmin but it paused when I stoped so add five minutes.

T2 rain had stopped. Set out to do a 2:27. I don’t run well. And it was going well. Sun popped out an sweated a lot. First half in 68 minutes so was well on schedule. Crowds were awesome. As always. My lack of training and conditioning caught up with me and I started slowing from around 12 kms. By then I knew I had it in the bag so was happy to slow a bit. Started raining again but I was 2 km out so no worries. Ended on 2:28 according to Garmin. Will check official results as I did stop for a pee.

Total of 6:41. Way off from my PB but a PB for Weymouth which I’ll take given conditions. It’s a great event but organisers must not delay start and organise better weather. Chances are good I’ll sign up for next year as I have a friend who is a fantastic marathoner and she wants to get into tri so we have agreed Weymouth 2020 will be her half debut.

Weather this past week been superb and now it’s ok. But this morning it was ***. Good to finish the season with another medal. Weymouth medals are the best.

It’s good to do triathlon. It keeps us in good health. I see so many old folks around who battle with their health. We should try avoid that and triathlon is perfect. Going to look into some mtb events in winter and swim runs in the summer. And do tri.

By all account that am reading on some of the FB accounts, it was a tough race on the bike with the wind and rain.  Well done on finishing, there are quite a few who didn't.

By all account that am reading on some of the FB accounts, it was a tough race on the bike with the wind and rain.  Well done on finishing, there are quite a few who didn't.

Weymouth is actually quite a challenging proposition. The weather is normally crap on the morning and like all IM events around half of entrants are first timers. Leaving yr warm bed to walk in the rain and wind to the start is daunting. Standing in the rain with a delayed start pushes others over the edge. High number of DNS every year. (Although don’t know the dropout stats for other IM events for comparison I just get the impression it does have a high drop out rate)

The cycle course is tougher than appearances. Around 1000 meters of climb which is not huge but the course demands yr attention at all times. Very few flat sections , you either ascending or descending riding on narrow lanes through villages and in the rain even more challenging. With the weeks of sun leading up to Saturday night the resulting rain brought a lot of pieces of flint onto the road. Never seen so many punctures. Lots did not have a repair kit, game over. Roads are slippery so one is always on edge. I get off the bike in PE feeling more relaxed than getting off the bike in Weymouth.

The run is fun though, lots of spectators and a local tri club dominate a corner of the course and put on danceathons and characters dressed up making it good fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Entered Weymouth 2020 (20 September) and hope for once to have great weather. 4th time lucky I hope.

Cost, I entered on tier 1, that was £245-00 plus 8% = £264. That's the price of 70.3's in Europe basically. You get the same bag and shirt as ZA events which cost 40% less than that.

Ironman events are expensive, there are alternatives such as outlaw events which are much cheaper. May do some of them too.

Will do more Olympic tri's, and run swims in the summer I reckon.

Entered Weymouth 2020 (20 September) and hope for once to have great weather. 4th time lucky I hope.

Cost, I entered on tier 1, that was £245-00 plus 8% = £264. That's the price of 70.3's in Europe basically. You get the same bag and shirt as ZA events which cost 40% less than that.

Ironman events are expensive, there are alternatives such as outlaw events which are much cheaper. May do some of them too.

Will do more Olympic tri's, and run swims in the summer I reckon.

Keep hearing that this is a pretty good event as well as Outlaw https://www.113events.com/cotswold-113/

You can also do a search on the British Triathlon website for other events https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/search

Keep hearing that this is a pretty good event as well as Outlaw https://www.113events.com/cotswold-113/

You can also do a search on the British Triathlon website for other events https://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/search

I really enjoy the Cotswold area. And that 113event was on my radar but will be at Isle of Man that week for the TT. Will have to do in 2021.

Cotswold is a hive of tri and duo events. Not to far either.

• 4 months later...

SO....we have booked a trip to the UK to visit the outlaws and it just so happens that Weymouth 70.3 takes place a few days after our arrival.  I planted the seed with the boss lady and this morning I received the go ahead to do it!!!

Now the planning needs to be sorted out before I fork out the tier 3 entry!  We are going via Dubai on Emirates and based on the "flying with a bike on Emirates" thread I have concerns about my bike arriving in one piece.  The other spanner in the works is that we are planning on stopping over in Dubai for a few days on the way home so it would mean schlepping the bike around Dubai to the hotel and back to the airport.  So do I risk taking my bike or possibly look at renting a normal road bike and make life a bit easier? Not aiming for a PB or anything, just a finish will be plenty! I do have the box my canyon was delivered in but must double check dimensions to ensure it is allowed, i also have a soft bike travel bag, but I think that would be asking for trouble!

Based on the race reviews I've seen, it is likely to be wet and miserable, so more preparation will be required to factor that in! Definitely not conditions we are used to here!

Could you pitch up in Weymouth on Saturday and have registration and everything done on the day or do you suggest getting in earlier? We arrive in the UK on the morning of the 18th of September. Looking at about a 3 hour drive from the in-laws in Worcester to get down there according to them.

@icecreamman any tips and advice would be highly appreciated! You too @shaper, aren't you also doing it?

Nice one Lurkerza. Thats fantastic and we can have a Hub beer in Weymouth. 

Will try answer your questions, if i miss any or dont answer them fully please just ask again. Happy to help in any way i can. 

You can pitch on the Saturdya morning and register etc and attend a race briefing. No need ot be there on the Friday. Last 3 years have had a bit of rain during the event with 2018 being really really wet and miserably cold, this aint durban after all. Weymouth also gets pretty clogged during race weekend so plan to leave early to arrive there early assuming you are going on Saturday morning. Book accommodation now too if you can. I am staying in a holiday home in one of the Haven resorts about 2 miles from the start. Will you be coming down to weymouth by yourself? 

I would look at renting a bike. The shlep of lugging a bike around airlines is jut not worth it with connecting flights etc, plus car you have to rent have to have space etc etc. If i were going specifically for an event i would take my own, but if its a sideline with no PB ambitions (Weymouth is not the place for PBs anyway) i would look at renting. What size bike are you looking at? 

Sadly, tier 3 pricing plus the 8% is rather expensive. I think I paid 246 all in an I was one of the first. COnvert that to rand and well 

Welcome lukerza, yep am almost 90% in for Weymouth, looked at accommodation earlier in the week and just waiting to see what happens with the R/USD rate before sign up as still have plenty of time I think on tier 3

As for logistics.  I have taken my bike to Bahrain and Dubai on Emirates using a Hard shell bike box and had no issues.  I have friends who did both using a Scicon Aerocomfort soft shell bag and did have issues with it on the way back from Bahrain with the lock being broken off.  Both their bikes were ok.  Mine no issue.

Out of the 2 options use your canyon box.  As for dimensions, i have seen all boxes/bags of all shapes and sizes bigger than what Emirates state and all have been delivered no issue.  Just advise them once you have booked your ticket that you will be taking a bike and turn up at the airport early to check-in.

I will be taking my bike, this time on BA and will be hiring a car in the UK as have to drive all over the country.

As for having a bike in Dubai on your way back, should not be a problem.  At the airport most taxis are big enough (7 seaters) so they fold down one side of the seats and you can fit your bike in and luggage and still have 1 person in the front seat and one behind.  Similarly you will be able to arrange with the hotel for a similar metered taxi to take you back to the airport.

When in the UK, depends on your mode of transport whilst there.

Hub beer sounds good :)

Nice one Lurkerza. Thats fantastic and we can have a Hub beer in Weymouth. 

Will try answer your questions, if i miss any or dont answer them fully please just ask again. Happy to help in any way i can. 

You can pitch on the Saturdya morning and register etc and attend a race briefing. No need ot be there on the Friday. Last 3 years have had a bit of rain during the event with 2018 being really really wet and miserably cold, this aint durban after all. Weymouth also gets pretty clogged during race weekend so plan to leave early to arrive there early assuming you are going on Saturday morning. Book accommodation now too if you can. I am staying in a holiday home in one of the Haven resorts about 2 miles from the start. Will you be coming down to weymouth by yourself? 

I would look at renting a bike. The shlep of lugging a bike around airlines is jut not worth it with connecting flights etc, plus car you have to rent have to have space etc etc. If i were going specifically for an event i would take my own, but if its a sideline with no PB ambitions (Weymouth is not the place for PBs anyway) i would look at renting. What size bike are you looking at? 

Sadly, tier 3 pricing plus the 8% is rather expensive. I think I paid 246 all in an I was one of the first. COnvert that to rand and well 

Shot for the insights - would def look at coming down on the Sat morning as early as possible to avoid making it a mad dash around. Been looking at rental pricing, I would need a 54/56cm/large frame, not really finding much on the web - you got any ideas on who best to use? 

Race fees are a bit heavy, but that is Ironman for you, they do put on a decent effort though and only about a R1500 more than Durban 70.3 at the moment which i have done 3 times already. Looked at accommodation on airbnb and caravan rentals are pretty cheap and about 5km away from transition!  Should be fine for a couple nights!

Hub beer would be great!

They also close the roads getting into Weymouth on the Saturday morning quite early so if you want to leave a car somewhere it means getting up very early. I normally get my wife to drop me off bout a mile from start. The end is also bout a mile from transition so it can be a ball ache to get yr kit after finishing. Unfortunately that’s due to the way Weymouth is laid out.

As to bike rental. I guess you would want to ride it before doing the event on it so try find a place to rent from where you stay. Failing that let me know and I can ask the cycle club I belong to for possible leads but that would be in Guildford area. Unfortunately that’s a lil smaller than my winter bike which is an XL.

Shot for the insights - would def look at coming down on the Sat morning as early as possible to avoid making it a mad dash around. Been looking at rental pricing, I would need a 54/56cm/large frame, not really finding much on the web - you got any ideas on who best to use? 

Race fees are a bit heavy, but that is Ironman for you, they do put on a decent effort though and only about a R1500 more than Durban 70.3 at the moment which i have done 3 times already. Looked at accommodation on airbnb and caravan rentals are pretty cheap and about 5km away from transition!  Should be fine for a couple nights!

Hub beer would be great!

Was curious about bike hire myself, found these guys https://www.triuk.com/Bike-Hire-What-You-Need-to-Know/ about 45mins to 1hr from Weymouth.  You can hire a tri bike or a road bike. 

Unless they deliver to the venue, might be difficult getting to Weymouth early if you have to wait for a hire place to open to collect the bike.  Else as ICM says hire one close to where you staying, so can take for a test ride and pack in car for trip 

@ICM am looking at the results from last year, was the swim shortened? as many seem to be swimming 16-18mins!

@ICM am looking at the results from last year, was the swim shortened? as many seem to be swimming 16-18mins!

Yes, unfortunately the last 2 years have seen a shortened swim. 2018 was meant to be 950 metres but was around 1200 metres and 2019 was meant to be 950 but I had around 1100. Both times due to weather concerns. 2018 because the surf was like a washing machine and in 2019 the surf was flattish but visibility was poor so the safe option was chosen. They should of done 2 laps of 950 but no one thought of that at the time and I spose it would result in much congestion. 

The timing mat getting out of the ocean is also not right on the beach and being a stone beach I also battled to just get out of the water. They have helpers but its still a lil mission on its own. It is then around 300/400 metre walk /run to T1 across the road into the transition area. 

Yes, unfortunately the last 2 years have seen a shortened swim. 2018 was meant to be 950 metres but was around 1200 metres and 2019 was meant to be 950 but I had around 1100. Both times due to weather concerns. 2018 because the surf was like a washing machine and in 2019 the surf was flattish but visibility was poor so the safe option was chosen. They should of done 2 laps of 950 but no one thought of that at the time and I spose it would result in much congestion. 

The timing mat getting out of the ocean is also not right on the beach and being a stone beach I also battled to just get out of the water. They have helpers but its still a lil mission on its own. It is then around 300/400 metre walk /run to T1 across the road into the transition area. 

Thanks, just checking out the competition and times  :ph34r: