Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

Hope you get your training back on track soon...

my view on surgery: avoid the knife at all costs. rather get a sports biokinetist to check you out & help you with exercises to correct imbalances. Orthopedic surgeons are highly skilled at putting smashed limbs/bodies back together but getting ’cleaned out’ may not be necessary, nor does it generally guarantee a solution to overuse injuries.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get your training back on track soon...

my view on surgery: avoid the knife at all costs. rather get a sports biokinetist to check you out & help you with exercises to correct imbalances. Orthopedic surgeons are highly skilled at putting smashed limbs/bodies back together but getting ’cleaned out’ may not be necessary, nor does it generally guarantee a solution to overuse injuries.

Valid point indeed. Thank you. Will check it out. There is a sports clinic close by and will pay them a visit. Just getting gatvol of periodic knee problems but I guess I ain’t a youngster any more.

Valid point indeed. Thank you. Will check it out. There is a sports clinic close by and will pay them a visit. Just getting gatvol of periodic knee problems but I guess I ain’t a youngster any more.

ya, getting old is not for the feint-hearted. apparently, after 5 decades we begin to lose muscle mass & take longer to build muscle through exercise and I suspect that is part of the reason why we get more fragile/injury prone with age; if we don't exercise we get progressively weaker, and if we do exercise the muscles that we're working get stronger but the ones we don't continue to lose mass, hence the exaggerated imbalances.

I need to follow my own advice about getting imbalances addressed as I have had a series of calf (left then right) and hamstring (left) strains over the last few weeks... I have a running background but after almost a year of bike training I think my front muscles have got a lot stronger than my rear muscles. better stretching has helped but probably not enough on it's own.

• 2 weeks later...

Race week and my knee is painful, my shoulder is plenty sore and living on freeze gel and spray...not going to take any anti nflammatories unless by wednesday its still like this. Still doing a lil cycling an running...just need to chill a lil. Neither is debilitating so will carry on. Was expesnive to enter an pay for accommodation etc... Think i will need a long rest after this.

I have joined a facebook page for the event and there are about 100 members on it, what a fantastic source of info and encouragement. Some top athletes and some like me and i guess eveyone learns from each other.

Not many pros on the entry list, james C won it last year and not doing it this year. I guess with Kona and the 70.3 wolrd champs earlier in September squeezing WEymouth the top guys prefer to focus on the big events...fair enough.

Weymouth itself, a lovely little town, proper english seaside town with all the trimmings. My wife and kid can enjoy the town while i do my thing. Our accommodation is a pub about a mile from the start and it has live music on saturdays, maybe i end up being hung over on Sunday at the start.

ICM, weather wise it looks like you going to have a fun and rather tough race with storm Ali lashing the UK at the moment !!!  Prediction is for strong/gale force winds and thundery showers.....

Good luck for the race!!

As for facebook groups, have a look at The Ironman Journey https://www.facebook.com/groups/287319678021088/  Great source of info especially if you are considering to do a few Europe/Overseas races in the future.  Plenty willing to give feedback on the races/events, accommodation etc.

I look forward to the race report.

Edited by shaper

ICM, weather wise it looks like you going to have a fun and rather tough race with storm Ali lashing the UK at the moment !!!  Prediction is for strong/gale force winds and thundery showers.....

Good luck for the race!!

As for facebook groups, have a look at The Ironman Journey https://www.facebook.com/groups/287319678021088/  Great source of info especially if you are considering to do a few Europe/Overseas races in the future.  Plenty willing to give feedback on the races/events, accommodation etc.

I look forward to the race report.

Thanks for that link , will investigate it.

As to the race, right now looking at the winds expected i anticpate it to be cancelled or radically altered. the latest predictions have wind speeds in excess of 60 mph and you cant ride a bike in that kind of wind and the swim will probably be affected too, running is also a problem, however we wait n see. I have to be philosophical about it all and in all the events i have done only one has been cancelled due to weather being an Ultra event back in 2014 and the cancelled swim at IM Durban in 2016 iirc. The rest have been superb, so sometimes the weather is going to go against you i spose.

Problem with high winds is obvious, add that probably 50% of the field are first timers and that there are a couple of very sweet downhills where i realistically would reach speeds of 90km/h with a little wind that is potentially disastrous and the organisers will take it all into account.

Would be damn sad though, but thats life. We wait n see.

Also thinking of leaving my fancy bicycle at home and taking the winter bike. The thought of my fancy bike standing overnight in transition with high winds fill me with dread. You hook up your bike by the saddle onto a pole here...the carnage on Sunday morning could be huge.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Thanks for that link , will investigate it.

As to the race, right now looking at the winds expected i anticpate it to be cancelled or radically altered. the latest predictions have wind speeds in excess of 60 mph and you cant ride a bike in that kind of wind and the swim will probably be affected too, running is also a problem, however we wait n see. I have to be philosophical about it all and in all the events i have done only one has been cancelled due to weather being an Ultra event back in 2014 and the cancelled swim at IM Durban in 2016 iirc. The rest have been superb, so sometimes the weather is going to go against you i spose.

Problem with high winds is obvious, add that probably 50% of the field are first timers and that there are a couple of very sweet downhills where i realistically would reach speeds of 90km/h with a little wind that is potentially disastrous and the organisers will take it all into account.

Would be damn sad though, but thats life. We wait n see.

Also thinking of leaving my fancy bicycle at home and taking the winter bike. The thought of my fancy bike standing overnight in transition with high winds fill me with dread. You hook up your bike by the saddle onto a pole here...the carnage on Sunday morning could be huge.

I see another triathlon (non-ironman) happening this weekend in the UK have already banned disc wheels and are highly recommending not to use deep sections because of the expected wind.

So might be prudent to take your winter bike.

Hope you get to race!!

I see another triathlon (non-ironman) happening this weekend in the UK have already banned disc wheels and are highly recommending not to use deep sections because of the expected wind.

So might be prudent to take your winter bike.

Hope you get to race!!

Have to leave in a couple of hours, at this point will be taking the winter bike with shallow wheels, thats not a problem as i did IM SA on it so its not a total hack. 2 reasons really, dont want the shlep of changing wheels and brake pads on the aero bike and also dont want an expesnive bike flying around transition. It will cost me a bit of time if the cycle goes ahead but there is no fear of a podium anyway.

They have cancelled a cycle race out my way for sunday. So it wont  be unexpected if IM cancel although unliekly...maybe reduce it to a run and swim or short legs or something. Not sure but we have to trust them to make the best decision in the interest of safety for the least experienced athlete.

Eish....enjoy the day

Welcome to the IRONMAN 70.3 Weymouth 1f1ec_1f1e7.png! Unfortunately the conditions are NOT as on the photo - due to rough weather conditions and a choppy sea the start has been delayed to 7:20 a.m BST for pro men, to 7:22 for pro women and to 7:30 for age groupers. The course has been shortened to 950m. 

Don't miss to join us on ironman.com and on twitter for more information. #IM703Weymouth

To all athletes in Weymouth: have a great race day nevertheless! 1f642.png:)