Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t tell you how many times I wanted to pull out today. At least 57 times. It was brutal am standing around waiting to start in the cold did not help an then the start was delayed making it worse.

Had an ankle niggle so was on cataflam since Friday an a voltaren injection yesterday. Woke up feeling ok an walked in the rain to the start. Cold an miserable. Seeded myself in the fast group an got going. It was warmer in the sea so was merciful. Seemed to swim erratically an took me around 24 minutes. I normally swim a km in around 16 minutes but sea was choppy an I got disoriented a bit.

T1 was a long exercise in getting dry an trying to warm up. By now it was pissing down an I was sorely tempted. Thought let me go 10 jays an reevaluate. It was 4 degrees, 50 km winds an rainy. Saw many accidents an punctures. Garmin slowly saw the temps creep up an each point of a degree was like a lil victory. Pushed on slowly. No point in going fast as conditions were treacherous. Slowly my average got to about 26 km per hour an I stopped a number of times to pee an regroup. Clean my glasses etc. Revels hill at 60 kays an temp was around 6 an because I was taking it easy I flew up it. Flew up relative for me. On top of revels I got a serious kick of adrenaline an at 28 kms to go we were 200 metres above sea level so mostly downhill. Flew past many guys an my second wind kicked in. Total time around 3:25 on bike. I was happy with that considering the amount of tunes I stopped and conditions.

Run started around 6 degrees an the sun broke out. All clouds cleared off an it became uncomfortably warm. I just plodded on. 2:30 run an I was happy with that. Ankle played up a bit but today was not about PBS. It was brutal.

Lots of accidents on bikes an punctures. Luckily I had no issues. Also glad I took winter bike. Deep wheels woulda been hell.

If I were to wake up again this morning a la ground hog day I woulda rolled over an gone back to sleep I reckon. ????.

I was hoping for 15 minutes total in transition. I think I spent more than double that. My feet were frozen until bout 8 km into run. It really was a tough day. I

Not sure how many ppl dns or dnf but I suspect it was lots.

Not too enjoyable. Kid loves the medal so I guess all worth it.

Thanks guys, however i have to say , if i were to do it again i would not. Live an learn and sick as a dog today, as expected really. Dont mind the rain, dont mind the cold, but together they are miserable.

Waiting for official results, curious to see how many did not start or did not finish...there were people all over the bike course stopped and shivering. Locals were superb and giving ppl clothes to wear and the marshalls and ambulance services had space blankets which they were dishing out on the bike course. at one point i saw a lass in an old phone boooth trying to get warm. It was crazy. The delay on the beach caused a lot of pain too as ppl were freezing for 30 minutes longer than supposed to. Lots of accidents. Punctures too as a lot of debris had washed up on the roads from all the rain the day before.

Ultimately the race director probably got it right though and there were plenty warnings to slow down where required.

• 10 months later...

So, I am in again for 2019. Will be the 3rd year in a row I am doing this and hoping for decent weather. Been really slack with training and have had multiple injuries so its going to be interesting but should be able to cobble a finish together.

So long as weather aint miserable that is.

Maybe try for the lanterne rouge ;)

• 1 month later...

So race week is here. Weather looks brilliant until Saturday evening when rain is predicted for most of Sunday. Sods law really. I don't mind the rain and I don't mind the cold but the 2 together equates to misery so Sunday looks way better than 2018 even if raining.  

Training gone poorly. Been battling with all sorts of niggles and currently have plantar fasciitis issues. Never had that before but now that I am working in London I am walking a lot and spend a lot of time on my feet which I suspect is the cause. Doing the exercises to alleviate it and resting up so should be good on Sunday. Also put on a bit of weight due to too much beer.

Weymouth been my bogey event to date, 2017 I had serious ankle issue, 2018 the weather, 2019 hoping for a good event. No PB expected (maybe weymouth specific one) but looking forward to a lekker event. The run is along the beach front and I love the English seaside towns. Near the harbour there are always dressed up characters which make the whole run fun and rewarding.

Driving down Friday evening, chilling at a Havens resort which has a sweet pub , live music and a few restaurants. Looking forward to just relaxing a bit on Friday then doing all the IM stuff on Saturday and sunday with a nice braai after the race on sunday evening in weymouth. The resort is normally full of triathletes so a nice vibe too.

Weather looking ominous. Again.

So, taking winter bike. Will cost me around 10 to 15 minutes timewise but its not about time when its pissing down and miserable.

Hoping for a dryish run, nothing worse than wet feet when running.