Weymouth 70.3

IceCreamMan

Thanks, just checking out the competition and times  :ph34r:

Its about 1000 metres of climb which is always a handicap for us heavier types, thus my Weymouth event is never for a PB. the cycle is the harder discipline here by a long way, the swim is a doddle the run along the seafront. Its out on the bike in the rain and wind (if rainy and windy) and cold (2018 it was 4 deg) that one can make good time if a good cyclist. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, just checking out the competition and times  :ph34r:

hahaha - I did that yesterday and also noted the 20min swim times and thought "JEEZ those poms can swim!!!"  then as I went down the list I guessed the swim was shortened as even the guys way down the list were smashing my swim times!

• 3 weeks later...

Entered  :ph34r:

I've been umming and aaahing about this and hoping the rand might stage a huge comeback, also the coronavirus impact has also weighed in on whether or not it might still happen!

My son was meant to go on a euro tour with school next Sunday and that involved Italy, so obviously that isn't happening and most sporting events over that side of the world have been postponed so I'm holding off for a few more days.  I have booked accommodation for the weekend so that is sorted, so I'll be there regardless, either racing or supporting. 

I have found a bike to borrow for race day, bit bigger than my bike and alu frame, but hey, it'll do. Aiming to have some new GP5000 tyres delivered so i can put some new puncture resistant rubber on it based on previous ride reports.  I will take my saddle and pedals over with me so I know i'll at least be comfy and can clip in.  Already ordered and had an ARO5 helmet delivered!  So I am just about good to go!  

May have to bite the bullet and enter soon before the price goes up again!

I've been umming and aaahing about this and hoping the rand might stage a huge comeback, also the coronavirus impact has also weighed in on whether or not it might still happen!

My son was meant to go on a euro tour with school next Sunday and that involved Italy, so obviously that isn't happening and most sporting events over that side of the world have been postponed so I'm holding off for a few more days.  I have booked accommodation for the weekend so that is sorted, so I'll be there regardless, either racing or supporting. 

I have found a bike to borrow for race day, bit bigger than my bike and alu frame, but hey, it'll do. Aiming to have some new GP5000 tyres delivered so i can put some new puncture resistant rubber on it based on previous ride reports.  I will take my saddle and pedals over with me so I know i'll at least be comfy and can clip in.  Already ordered and had an ARO5 helmet delivered!  So I am just about good to go!  

May have to bite the bullet and enter soon before the price goes up again!

Typically Weymouth does not sell out unril a few weeks before the event. Being a season ender here ppl generally fill up the other 70.3's then have a go on this one after the others. However, delaying may cause the price to go up and of course who knows where the rand vs pound is going. 

decisions , decisions. 

Nice one shaper.  We all catch up in Weymouth by the looks of it. 

Only entered so far, still have to do the accommodation.  

@ICM for sure on the catchup!!

Only entered so far, still have to do the accommodation.  

@ICM for sure on the catchup!!

By now the plum accommodation will have sold out. There is a premier inn (i think its a premier inn) right next to the start. Loads of hotels and places relatively close. I normally stay in the Haven about 2 miles from the start and my wife drives me to about 800 metres from the start on the morning. 

Just a word of caution, one year i stayed in a pub hotel. They had a live band...it was brutal. Avoid. 

By now the plum accommodation will have sold out. There is a premier inn (i think its a premier inn) right next to the start. Loads of hotels and places relatively close. I normally stay in the Haven about 2 miles from the start and my wife drives me to about 800 metres from the start on the morning. 

Just a word of caution, one year i stayed in a pub hotel. They had a live band...it was brutal. Avoid. 

I have had a quick look, will probably be a B&B near the start and most definitely not near any pub!!

• 1 month later...

Apparently a decision will only be made on Weymouth around the 1st of august.  All the earlier 70;3's in the UK have the option of transferring their entry to Weymouth or to next year. A fair amount of people will transfer so assuming its on it will be a sell out. I think its a sell out every year being the last on the calendar. 

Sept is 5 months away, not too much time so we wait n see whether its on or not... 

Apparently a decision will only be made on Weymouth around the 1st of august.  All the earlier 70;3's in the UK have the option of transferring their entry to Weymouth or to next year. A fair amount of people will transfer so assuming its on it will be a sell out. I think its a sell out every year being the last on the calendar. 

Sept is 5 months away, not too much time so we wait n see whether its on or not... 

Still holding thumbs as likely to the the only event will do this year after Dubai which was right at the start of the year.  Held off on booking flights and accommodation even though have entered.  

IM have to give notice of the event happening or not at least 45 days or earlier before the event to comply with the transfer-withdrawal policy they have https://www.ironman.com/transfer-withdrawal

Still holding thumbs as likely to the the only event will do this year after Dubai which was right at the start of the year.  Held off on booking flights and accommodation even though have entered.  

IM have to give notice of the event happening or not at least 45 days or earlier before the event to comply with the transfer-withdrawal policy they have https://www.ironman.com/transfer-withdrawal

worse case scenario its cancelled and i transfer my booking to next year. i am ok with that. Everything i have booked has been transferred thus far , both in the Tri sphere and everything else like isle of Man TT , concert bookings etc. Had some Tri events in the Cotswold that were cancelled early on already.

Have paid for my accommodation in Weymouth, not sure thats transferrable but i will go anyway if allowed and do a lil tri on my own if nothing else. 

• 1 month later...

IM wales postponed to 2021. That was scheduled a week before Weymouth. ( or 2 weeks can’t remember right now)

No word on Weymouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I am beginning to get some optimism that this event will happen. I see IM have published the athlete list and closed the entries. I suspect this is due to all those that transferred from other events which means this is now fully subscribed. 

Also talk that ole BJ will lift restrictions tomorrow including the 2 metre rule to 1 metre which will mean life will nearly be back to normal. Lots of lobbying to get the 2 week isolation rule lifted to in time for the summer trade. 

And, i have moved up an age category...so now can come in the last 15% as opposed to the traditional last 10% in age finishers....

Not received any email yet, think it is due on 01 August.  Have not done any swimming since middle of March, at least the running an cycling are ok although not feeling as fit as normally would, yet my numbers are up there.  In the meantime have ordered a neoprene cap, so if our gyms are not open, come August will go do some cold open water swimming, so can at least have 5-6 weeks of swimming if it is confirmed on 01 August that is going ahead.  Might be a well untertrained and interesting event.

As for the closed entries, maybe they just not taking any more at this time until it is confirmed is going ahead.  Although just looked at the start list, seems pretty full.  Am there :)

Even if does go ahead, not sure will be able to get a flight to the UK, holding thumbs by then everything will be open and the quarantine won't exist.  Might be a mad dash for flights/accomm if and when.

As an aside got a VIP early bird entry email for IM Ireland 2021 today.... wonder if they trying to tell me something?

i have started a new position where i work from home pretty much full time and this means i dont need to commute into london every day, the beauty is i suddenly have 2.5 hours every day and i been racking up the miles.... reason i say this is that suddenly the idea of doing another ironman is not so far fetched any more...

Ireland has been on my radar , i think its a beautiful location and would be well worth a visit and event. 

@ICM the wedding I was meant to be going to the week before Weymouth has just been postponed until April 2021 due to COVID, so now doing Weymouth is up in the air as it was meant to be a combined, go to the wedding and the following weekend race.

I will wait and see first what IM have to say about the event going ahead, they say will notify 50 days before, which is the end of July.  Then will decide whether to do or defer it (probably the latter).  With Leicester going into lockdown and likelihood of more areas going the same way as you open the economy fully this weekend, the event may not take place.  

On a side note, I had already entered the new IM70.3 Venice on 02 May 2021 (through AWA priority), and then get this email yesterday about the wedding re-arrangement which just so happens to now be the week before Venice lol