Versatile mtb?

HeyJude

Out of curiosity, I am posting this topic. Which bikes would be the real all rounders in dual suspension bikes? If one wants to do Sunday riding, a race now and then, maybe tour for a week or two, a bit of single track and do dirt roads and a stage race now and then... Is there an ideal bike out there?

I think i have 9 bikes of different abilities in my stable at the moment .I have used all of them regularly .The one i would keep if i have to choose would be my 2012 Santa Cruz  tallboy with 120mm fork .It rides comfortably more upright and is at home and fast on the flats ,but can be very nimble on single tract .Servicing is easy and cheap and the frame is as strong as you can build a light carbon frame 

Edited by Blitzer

most versatile bike IMO is a 130/140mm trail bike...

it can ride a marathon race, ultra distance race, stage race, bike tour, xco course, enduro race and even downhill...

you may not have the perfect steed to win any of these other than the enduro, but you'll have fun on all of it

Most people won't agree with me and you are bound to get 10 times more replies suggesting to opt for a 29" 100mm dual sus marathon bike...

to me a marathon bike is just however too limiting when the going gets rough, but it will allow you to do dirt roads, a marathon race, stage races and most single track and will be cheaper.

I would say your most versatile bikes are the short travel (120mm-140mm) trail bikes such a Spez Camber/Stumpy, Scott Spark, Giant Trance, etc. Any more travel than that and gravel roads become a drag, any less travel and all mountain riding becomes unpleasant.

But it is very hard to find the magical do it all bike. All bikes compromise somewhere to gain advantage in another area.

Out of curiosity, I am posting this topic. Which bikes would be the real all rounders in dual suspension bikes? If one wants to do Sunday riding, a race now and then, maybe tour for a week or two, a bit of single track and do dirt roads and a stage race now and then... Is there an ideal bike out there?

If you not adding enduro or DH to the mix, most stage/marathon/XC bikes should be fine, I personally have eyes on 2 bikes for my next upgrade- Rocky Mountain Sherpa and the Pyga Stage max. Both will do what you need well, I will just put normal 29er wheels on the sherpa

I would say your most versatile bikes are the short travel (120mm-140mm) trail bikes such a Spez Camber/Stumpy, Scott Spark, Giant Trance, etc. Any more travel than that and gravel roads become a drag, any less travel and all mountain riding becomes unpleasant.

But it is very hard to find the magical do it all bike. All bikes compromise somewhere to gain advantage in another area.

Yes, I suppose nothing in life has a magic answer, but we try to make the right choices and unfortunately, costs are also involved. I have recently bought a Trek Fuel ex 5 and am still wondering if I made the right choice. Some people frown upon it, although I like the bike. Not sure if it is a bit heavy, but I could also shed 2kg myself and save K10. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I suppose nothing in life has a magic answer, but we try to make the right choices and unfortunately, costs are also involved. I have recently bought a Trek Fuel ex 5 and am still wondering if I made the right choice. Some people frown upon it, although I like the bike. Not sure if it is a bit heavy, but I could also shed 2kg myself and save K10. Thanks for your reply.

The Fuel ex is a very capable bike and should be able to handle most things you throw at it. I'm also of the opinion that if you are not in perfect shape yourself and racing for a podium spot, the weight of your bike should not be too much of a consideration. It's alot more cost effective (and healthy) to lose a kg or two yourself than to spend thousands on components to shave a few grams of the weight of your bike.

I have riden many bikes over the last few years, and my "unicorn bike" has turned out to be a 135mm (rear travel)/150mm (fork travel) trail bike. It's relatively light, it has more capability on tech/downhill than I do, and I can do stage races on it. I tend to stay on the longer travel side of trail bikes because I enjoy gravity oriented riding more than marathon riding. If your orientation is more marathon riding stay on the shorter travel side of trail bikes - they can handle allot more than most people think!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Those people shouldn't be listened to. 

Those people shouldn't be listened to. 

Couldn't agree more with Myles here!

I recently upgraded to a 29er trail bike (Kona Process), 111 rear/130 up front & haven't looked back, even if it's a little heavy.

It gets me everywhere I need to be, and while I may not be the fastest, I definitely have the bigger smile on the way down & over the jumps. It's way more capabale than I am, but it's just as at home doing a little sunday ride.

Couldn't agree more with Myles here!

I recently upgraded to a 29er trail bike (Kona Process), 111 rear/130 up front & haven't looked back, even if it's a little heavy.

It gets me everywhere I need to be, and while I may not be the fastest, I definitely have the bigger smile on the way down & over the jumps. It's way more capabale than I am, but it's just as at home doing a little sunday ride.

My latest bike is a Kona Hei Hei .Slack head angle with 100mm rear and 120mm fork .I don,t think i will ever need more 

This topic is what is going on in my mind the past couple of days. 

I currently ride an XTC, but I find it's not fun anymore. Sure it's a bat out of hell fast on an XC course and climbs a mountain like a dassie. But my riding I mostly do these days is not suited to its strengths. These days I ride up the hill so I can reach the start of the fun stuff that mostly points down and the old XTC does not like leaving the ground.

If I were still into racing I`d probably stick with it but seeing as the last race I entered was almost 5 years ago the time has come to move on. 

I have been doing a lot of research about an all-rounder for my criteria: 

• 29er 
  • 140mm front & rear travel max
  • Fork greater and equal to Fox 34 and Rockshox Yari (need the oomph for the fun stuff :ph34r: )
  • Budget 40-50k

So based on my requirements, there aren`t that many options: 

Pre-built:

• Scott Spark 940 (120mm travel) 
  • Trek Fuel Ex 8 29 (130mm travel)
  • YT Yeffsy AL two (140mm travel) it's so pretty and hard to beat the spec sheet at that price
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct 50 (140 mm travel)

OR build self: 

• Transition Smuggler (130/115mm travel)
  • Pyga oneTen (130/110mm travel)
  • Banshee Phantom (120/105mm travel)

There are many other bikes available but, I have narrowed it down to brands that are well supported in SA(This is my opinion you may disagree). OK maybe not YT really, but have only heard good things about their service here.

I do not want to buy a pre-built bike and then mod it afterwards (This comes much later when the minister of finance does not know :devil: ).

But then again I love riding hardtails there is just something bad ass about riding a hardtail down a bonkers trail and having to get every line right else you get punished, but when you get it right man does it feel sweet. This brings up another question do I try mod the XTC (out of warranty) to suit this, i.e. slap a 130mm for up front? A lot cheaper than buying a new bike... Eish... First world problems ek sê

Edited by Mr.GT