Kayamandi Stellenbosch Attacks - Again

Viking2

Saw this post and thought of this thread:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Fopen%3Fid%3D10tzB6FghNBHk7dK1SJSG53q6lYk%26usp%3Dsharing&h=ATN9lz9Anm5pd4jJKLuORXtwcpwTQTumYjOGI7qIGp3kHKsB3GB0pFWtNpAWsRqVoGh_8TmmuhbvMwI0w7i3Pnhk25fFRWAmxmI_Hkc1oLlOoMS0FxjD6VuNQkt7b7TGgTkP3B3z13DvR5bl4qf_SfZp4IVOVOE5GTGrW-_ngdGreseSbH655KzhehKA_-ED6cISNa0x37n_VoFtdPbWvoDNC6IPqJmMVC9pEyBfhlobk65WEUKrEUOcKyMCmmpCToUu1OAcVokw23R6tpYmTHARC1ohXkY

"We are pinning cycling fatalities, accidents, close encounters with buses, trucks, taxi's etc and crime hotspots on our roads in South Africa. Should you wish to add relevant information to the map, please email liz@pedalpower.org.za. Let's identify areas of concern."

Perhaps we should report incidents we ourselves were involved in or witness to, updating the database should raise awareness.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which side of Cloetesville?  My "perceived" safety on the R44 feels a heck of a lot better than the R304

At least you have open space and can see any potential issues.  And you have space to move to the middle or even across to the other side ...

On the Kayamandi side there are just SO many spots for perps to hide and appear at the last second, and also no manouvering space for a cyclist ....

Still there are MANY cyclists on the R304 DAILY.  Nice wide shoulder. Certainly one of the safer roads - from a rider perspective.  Pity about the bottle neck at Kayamandi ....

Another attempted mugging today, this time on the R44 coming into Stellenbosch just before the R310 turn off. 3 guys ran into the road and attempted to mug a friend of mine.

ORe3zKt6I5pwY6vffaRG-xGWEC-OGbVeGLJx0jMF

And if you give them a hinding you're in trouble.

If it ever happens to me I hope the stars align and I can deal out an arse whipping of note

We've been targeted at those blocks of flats on the R44 into Stellies as well, they threw empty beer bottles at us, fortunately missed because they were too pissed to aim properly.

Think its time we start fitting these netstar tracking devices on our bikes

https://www.cyclesense.co.za/

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has signed up for this yet and how it works

Yes would be interesting.

I hate it though if websites don't give you a breakdown of costs and t&c's. Now i have to contact them first to see if i can afford it. Guess what....lost a potential client....

Not that i have any issues with crime at this stage on my bike....

Yes would be interesting.

I hate it though if websites don't give you a breakdown of costs and t&c's. Now i have to contact them first to see if i can afford it. Guess what....lost a potential client....

Not that i have any issues with crime at this stage on my bike....

Netstar subscribe to the old school technique of getting an operator to call you, do the pitch, then refuse to take "no" for an answer.

Netstar subscribe to the old school technique of getting an operator to call you, do the pitch, then refuse to take "no" for an answer.

yes...and then spam me for the rest of my life as i have to leave all my contacts with them.

We've been targeted at those blocks of flats on the R44 into Stellies as well, they threw empty beer bottles at us, fortunately missed because they were too pissed to aim properly.

What the **** is wrong with these animals? Who throws an empty beer bottle at someone? My word this country has some real issues.

With these happening so regularly it is surprising no one has approached a local security company and asked to do a sting type setup to catch these oakes.

This will be VERY nice publicity for the security company and these Fers will be off the streets for a while and will think twice before doing it again at that same spot.

With these happening so regularly it is surprising no one has approached a local security company and asked to do a sting type setup to catch these oakes.

This will be VERY nice publicity for the security company and these Fers will be off the streets for a while and will think twice before doing it again at that same spot.

That approach is almost useless as these perps will be back on the streets after a few days and doing the same thing again.

It then costs these companies time and money only for the perps to get off lightly.

One of my team mates was also attacked at that traffic light by 2 guys who knocked him off his bike and attempted to make away with it but luckily members of the public stopped to help. This was whilst we were cycling in a group of 5 and he was the last in line. He is also 1.9m tall so not even a small bloke but they took their chance.

There is almost no consequences to their actions as they just dropped the bike and ran off to Cloetesville across the road and disappeared into the neighborhood. We would have loved to have caught 1 of those buggers to give them a proper hiding. :cursing:

What the **** is wrong with these animals? Who throws an empty beer bottle at someone? My word this country has some real issues.

Better than full ones... It would be so distracting trying to catch them while riding... (too soon?)

an idea  - put a cycling club together and charge a yearly fee per person - then out of that pay the security in the area to patrol the areas in the peak cycling areas - that means a contract putting security patrols in the area for specific times and routes - these companies employ people already and night time is more their time to be working so they have more time on hand during  the day 

It wont cost a fortune and it will def have an impact if you have security patrolling these specific areas that are targeted 

To say live with it is accepting it and not really a positive action towards a solution - never will I just live with it - take back what belongs to you - freedom is not to be given away 

Edited by Heel Drop

My boet and I rode past these flats on the R44 a few weeks back, and some local a-holes were sitting there in their cars getting p!$$ed on the local brew, a.k.a. "rooi proppies". As we passed, one of them tried to jump the fence to scare us, but one of his buddies told him, "daai boer gat djou moer..."

He was right...

On another note, I suspect that previous posts in this thread are talking of this spot where missiles are being launched from, as referenced by the yellow lines. The blue arrow shows the direction of travel, and the red circle shows the approximate location they are parked at. It seems to be the de-facto drinking spot, as every time in the past I rode past, they were there. Last time was the first "action"...

post-103677-0-41948300-1507296494_thumb.jpg