Durbie Dash 2017

Rouxenator

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me :( lost all skin on my left side and stitches in the knee. Someone threw something down and took out my front wheel. Smashed shifter and handlebar but otherwise the bike and me are ok!

Just dreading the shower :/

EIsh!

That's rough

Heal up soon  :thumbup:

Slightly frustrating day in D for me. Don't mind wheelsuckers, don't even mind if they contest the sprint at the finish, but stuffing around at the working end of the bunch when you have no intention of rolling through and letting gaps open up on fourth wheel because you heard that if you are tired the best place to be is near the front is not cool.

Still had fun out there though!

Edited by bleedToWin

I did the MTB 12km with my son. It was his first 'real race' because these others were normally these 4km flat loops. This actually had 299m climbing and I saw a lot of adults sukkeling on the climbs. The descents I also saw a lot of falls. My son not use to these long descents, gathering speed, he took a few tumbles but towards the end he actually started getting the hang of feathering the brakes as opposed to locking up. We had a jol of the time and was great to see so many parent and young child combinations. For a 7 year old, he just didn't have the legs nor the gears for those climbs, but he had a huge heart and he had me. (btw, he then went for a quick spin at Hazendal afterwards, can't get enough)

Well done to your laaitie - imo the 12km is maybe a bit too tough for the average person who would enter a 10km ride (this race permantly put my wife off mtb'ing a few years back but that's another story  :ph34r: ) , unfortunately the organisers are a bit limited with what they can do given the starting venue. So well done to him for persisting! :thumbup:  

Slightly frustrating day in D for me. Don't mind wheelsuckers, don't even mind if they contest the sprint at the finish, but stuffing around at the working end of the bunch when you have no intention of rolling through and letting gaps open up on fourth wheel because you heard that if you are tired the best place to be is near the front is not cool.

Still had fun out there though!

Feel your pain D group very weird at moment. All just way to serious and scared todo anything..  I even tried to make a joke, got some strange stares, ok it was a *** joke  :-)

But who cares,  I had awesome day  on the bike , I got dropped after working to hard closing one of the gaps right before a climb (I don't do climbs) and apologies for shouting "CLOSE THE GAP" at the group ,  but at least it woke up a few guys and I see from the results  whole group finished as one. 

Last 20km was lekker training session, 6 of us worked very well together, and we kept up with the group to about the last climb, but just could not catch them again (according to Strava flyby).

This time around backmarkers was no issue, tons of space to pass, motorist was patient .. so who can really ask for more?

Edited by Karman de Lange

*follow-up from post #96*

Stricker is in hospital

Here's hoping the pain meds are keeping the eina under control.

Recover swiftly, man.

Edited by 'Dale

*follow-up from post #96*

Stricker is in hospital

Here's hoping the pain meds are keeping the eina under control.

Recover swiftly, man.

What are the nature of the injuries? I wondered what happened to him.

Cut down to the bone.. Two tendons (pinky and ring finger) cut off. Operation was a success. Doctor will be checking to see if the skin will grow back or if he'll need plastic surgery on the hand. He complained that plastic would be too heavy and that he would prefer carbon. So far, so good. He should make a full recovery.

He showed me pictures.. I threw up and we laughed. All things considered, he's lucky to still have all his fingers.

He is in very good spirits and we've already started bike shopping.

Cut down to the bone.. Two tendons (pinky and ring finger) cut off. Operation was a success. Doctor will be checking to see if the skin will grow back or if he'll need plastic surgery on the hand. He complained that plastic would be too heavy and that he would prefer carbon. So far, so good. He should make a full recovery.

He showed me pictures.. I threw up and we laughed. All things considered, he's lucky to still have all his fingers.

Yoh that sounds rough! Must have been horrific. Heal up dude - pass on my regards please.

Whew, was it just me or was the 63km MTB super tough??! Think it was tougher than last year IMO...probably cos I rode harder too  :eek: 

But what is the "obsession" with all the massive hills and hard climbing?? Does anybody really(!!?) enjoy those? Yes, I know there are some freaks out there. Thing is, I get a few big one's here and there....but continuously right up to the end is just cruel. That last big one (Signal Hill Wines) just killed me & my spirit. I climbed like a snail up there and even fell over lol

I don't mind the climbing anymore so much (took me a while) but I need single trail in between to recover. That worked well in beginning...but at end, when the energy is getting lower all the time..... :blush: 

Overall nice event and fun finish area....esp. mixing with the "other breed"  :whistling: 

Anyway, I forgot to start my Garmin & only realised after 8km. Gather it was 63km - but what were the asc./desc. totals of others?

Whew, was it just me or was the 63km MTB super tough??! Think it was tougher than last year IMO...probably cos I rode harder too :eek:

But what is the "obsession" with all the massive hills and hard climbing?? Does anybody really(!!?) enjoy those? Yes, I know there are some freaks out there. Thing is, I get a few big one's here and there....but continuously right up to the end is just cruel. That last big one (Signal Hill Wines) just killed me & my spirit. I climbed like a snail up there and even fell over lol

I don't mind the climbing anymore so much (took me a while) but I need single trail in between to recover. That worked well in beginning...but at end, when the energy is getting lower all the time..... :blush:

Overall nice event and fun finish area....esp. mixing with the "other breed" :whistling:

Anyway, I forgot to start my Garmin & only realised after 8km. Gather it was 63km - but what were the asc./desc. totals of others?

Whew, was it just me or was the 63km MTB super tough??! Think it was tougher than last year IMO...probably cos I rode harder too :eek:

Overall nice event and fun finish area....esp. mixing with the "other breed" :whistling:

Yes, I am one of those that enjoy the steep stuff and long climbs. I will never win anything but enjoy chasing my own tail.I'm sure there are others that enjoy this punishment as well.But well done!

I like how the long route always tries to kill you. That is the thing with these Durbie Dash/Faircape rides, it's the charm about them. If you wanted an easy ride the you should line up with the tar brigade. 

Since 2011 it has become more and more challenging each year. Skipped 2012 cause I was sick.

2011 : 60km 1200m https://www.strava.com/activities/85973134

2013 : 61km 1380m https://www.strava.com/activities/97880466

2014 : 60km 1260m https://www.strava.com/activities/211374407

2015 : 70km 1830m https://www.strava.com/activities/419070732

2016 : 72km 1960m https://www.strava.com/activities/759076675

2017 : 63km 1830m https://www.strava.com/activities/1249983454

From memory the toughest for me was 2015, but I think I was just having a bad day.

Here's to Durbie Dash being as tough as they come  :thumbup:

Stricker still in hospital? Terrible accident, hope the recovery goes quickly!